Gransnet forums

Chat

Another chance! (A lighthearted thread)

(82 Posts)
DanniRae Thu 27-Jun-19 13:47:56

If I get the chance to come back to this life after I have died I want to come back as a "Reckless Tart"!!
I have always been so bl**dy sensible - never done anything in the least bit daring or wild - there has only ever been one man in my life (if you get my drift) and so when I return I will take many lovers, spend all my money on anything that takes my fancy, stay up all night and be thoroughly naughty!! grin wink
Over to you..........!!

Esspee Mon 01-Jul-19 16:12:49

Does anyone know whether placing the @ sign in front of a users name results in that person being notified that a thread mentioned them?
It does on Mumsnet so might do here.
For example @Tillybelle Perhaps you could get back to us to say whether or not Gransnet emailed you with a link to this thread.

Esspee Mon 01-Jul-19 16:08:01

Tillybelle. I feel specifying a genus would be akin to racism so any, as long as I had room to grow to my full potential. (Like those magnificent trees you see at stately homes or on golf courses)

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jul-19 14:49:11

I wish----or do I ?
I've had inheritances, worked hard and travelled extensively. Had mortgage-free properties but also had family whose needs were great ! Never said no and have supported them both financially and supportively, the latter being the most draining because of the circumstances involved.

Would I have changed things ? No, not really as I'm not the sort to turn my back when help is needed and I was in a position to do so.

I still did the things that I'd set out to do so " non je ne regrette rien ".

Given the chance, I'd still do the same.

KatyK Mon 01-Jul-19 14:03:14

Very true annep

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:46:59

Thanks for sharing KatyK. Its still a great memory to have, you lucky thing.? I remember the programme well.
I was (and still am to an extent ) lacking in confidence. The number of times I didn't do things through lack of confidence or feeling inferior! But its in the past. And no one really talked about things then.

KatyK Mon 01-Jul-19 10:12:52

Well I was one of about 30 people who won a competition to sit on stage with The Beatles at a recording of a programme called Thank Your Lucky Stars (remember that?). I received a letter asking if I would be a 'go-go' dancer on the show. They hadn't seen me, I was picked at random. I was too under confident and shy to take them up on it. I assumed they would change their minds if they saw me. I did sit behind The Beatles though, a dream come true for me. I have a photo of it. Also on the show were Tom Jones, The Animals, Peter and Gordon, all within touching distance. A wasted opportunity. Just one of many I have missed through lack of confidence due to childhood. It was a great day though and I am lucky to have had it

DanniRae Mon 01-Jul-19 09:44:56

Many thanks annepl - that's made my day! grin

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 08:36:26

Thanks for this very interesting thread DanniRae*. I've enjoyed the lighthearted posts but it's also been good to hear that others think about the past and would like some things to have been different. I was moved up class a couple of times and then had to be kept back a year and still did 11 plus a year early (born 21 June). It did me no favours. I never had a chance to mature properly alongside others.
And it seems regrets are common and that kind of makes it ok - if that makes sense.
I think this is my favourite thread so far.
I have so enjoyed reading all the posts.
Tillybelle it's so nice that you are doing your bit to change things for some folk. I would love to do more. Oh to change the world! (Btw I remember having a discussion after reading some Anthony de Mello on whether there is such a thing as an altruistic act.)
And KatyK do tell!

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 00:14:51

I want to go to pop festivals and wear wellies in the mud and smoke pot.....hopefully Leonard Cohen would be performing.....

GrauntyHelen Mon 01-Jul-19 00:00:34

Iwouldnever describe myself as reckless or a tart but I won't die wondering lol

Glammy57 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:09:49

maxdecatt - love it! ?

Glammy57 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:07:05

fluttERBY123. Oh, I intend to and hope you do also! ?. A kindred spirit....

DanniRae Sat 29-Jun-19 08:31:45

Good for you BlueSapphire!! - don't forget to report back - wink

Purpleknight49 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:31:16

If you were boring in bed it's cos HE wasn't exciting you!!

BlueSapphire Sat 29-Jun-19 05:17:33

Ooh yes, wonderful days at college, when, far away from my very strict Methodist family, I got up to all sorts; stayed out late, tried all sorts of alcohol, did all sorts of things I shouldn't, partied well, nearly got thrown out. Met the wrong man who I thought was the right man, and when it ended badly, upped and went to Singapore for two years, where I met the right man.
Thankfully he was very sensible, and I spent the next 50 years being a sensible wife, mum and now grandma.
Now sadly, I am on my own, but I am starting to spread my wings a bit more and, compared to some similar aged passengers on this cruise am very reckless!

Anneeba Fri 28-Jun-19 22:57:23

Wonderful wanton early days at uni where I got together with my man of 39 years.. We knew how to party ha! He has always been a creative optimistic force, helped ease the pain of my childhood and made me into a positive (mostly) person. I was always more cautious than him, but now totally embrace the idea of, what would I regret on my deathbed... it will never be not seeing a tv programme, but always would be choosing not to do swim in a cold sea or lake, joining in a game of something daft, taking that step into the unknown, where fun may happen. I have chucked out the net curtain culture and am so thrilled to be with my lovely man joining him, after all these years in life's adventures.

GeorgyGirl Fri 28-Jun-19 20:39:23

Makes me think of 'Sliding Doors' and I sometimes do wonder how my life would have shaped up if I had taken a different path - just for curiosity :-)

Day6 Fri 28-Jun-19 19:54:30

The OP made me smile. Thanks DanniRae.

I am sensible for 99% of the time, but I do have a reckless streak (a tiny one) and occasionally throw caution to the wind.

I'd come back as the actress I should have been. I often wonder why I studied the subjects I did and followed friends into the career I had. I was good at my job but I didn't like it much.

I also had the opportunity to test the water, so to speak, a few years after my divorce. I had no desire to settle down long term, but did enjoy dating several very nice men and, with a few of them, getting close. My ex husband had been my one and only up until then and I had been completely faithful, so it was a bit of an eye-opener and a middle-aged adventure being dated in my 40s. I have no regrets whatsoever about sowing a few wild oats. I had been such a good girl until then. I pride myself on having had an exciting and slightly daring spell in my very ordinary life. I am back to monogamy now, very happily.

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Jun-19 19:30:51

If I come back I’d like a good memory and a thick skin please.

I’ve spent a lot of my life feeling guilty about things which I couldn’t have done differently anyway. And I’m useless in an argument as, if the opposition tells me I said something, I automatically believe them!

Legs55 Fri 28-Jun-19 19:16:09

I suppose I've always been a bit of a "reckless tart", married 3 times although No3 was "the love of my life", almost 21 years married, together almost 23 years. Many lovers over the years but never unfaithful. Now at almost 64, widowed over 6 years I may be at the start of another relationship, early days.

I haven't traveled abroad much but have moved around Britain starting in Yorkshire now settled in Devon. Each decision I've made has led me along my life's adventure, I seize every opportunity that I can, life's too short & is meant to be enjoyed.

I never expected my life to turn out as it has but despite some ups & downs it's been pretty goodgrin.

fluttERBY123 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:45:38

Glammy57 I've got one of those cloaks. Enjoy hanging about in disguise peacefully now.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:24:20

Juliet27 & Urmstongran I have an end of July birthday, and also passed my 11+ went on to Grammar School. I was definitely at a disadvantage compared to the September Birthday girls, emotionally and maturity.

pinkjj27 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:02:53

I would come back as a selfish bitch who just put herself first and didn’t care what people thought.
Someone that wasn’t so generous that there is little left for herself.

Juliet27 Fri 28-Jun-19 15:04:15

Urmstongran same here. I was always in the top three at primary school. My birthday is the beginning of September and probably due to my mother pushing, I took my 11+ a year early so missed out the last year at primary school as I did pass the exam. However, like you I felt completely out of my depth and therefore an also ran at my grammar school. The rest of my life has been a bit like that really although I have had some interesting holidays - mainly sans spouse !!

NannyC1 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:41:18

And me and me. Can you come back as a reckless tart again??