Gransnet forums

Chat

Outrageous price ?

(86 Posts)
NanKate Thu 27-Jun-19 20:45:28

Went to a lovely tennis tournament today but was shocked at the prices.

They wanted £14.00 for a 125 ml glass of fizz. DH said he would buy me one but I declined, just couldn’t justify that amount.

I wonder what prices are like at Glastonbury, Wimbledon at the like.

Oldandverygrey Sun 30-Jun-19 16:47:22

Callistemon - I cant stand being ripped off! give me Southend any day!

Callistemon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:30:44

Oldandver grey The last time I went to Bourton-on-the-Water I had the smallest cup of cappuccino I had ever seen!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Jun-19 19:44:53

Hmmm. Perhaps it’s time I opened that souvenir box... grin

instagran Sat 29-Jun-19 17:18:19

A friend of mine sells programmes to all sorts of events on eBay. Apparently there is a good market for these things!

humptydumpty Sat 29-Jun-19 14:08:56

Just read today the (10) strawberries and cream (including vegan) will be £2.50 at Wimbledon, which I thought was surprisingly 'cheap' for a big event...

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 13:08:21

Thanks Kim19
?

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 13:07:05

Perfect quote Maw absolutely encapsulates my sentiments!
??

KatyK Sat 29-Jun-19 12:25:05

Yes Maggie We do that. We have a big folder full of programmes, ticket stubs etc which we never look at.

Annaram1 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:05:35

Forget the price of a glass of fizz. Its the ticket prices to see the event that seem outrageous to me.

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Jun-19 11:33:10

I’ve stopped buying programmes. We’ve so many bought as souvenirs and just shoved in a storage box with all the other stuff that probably won’t see the light of day again. Do others do that?

KatyK Sat 29-Jun-19 11:09:38

We went to see Michael Bublé in May. The ticket prices weren't too bad (compared to what my sisters paid for Rod Stewart). The Bublé show was fantastic and well worth the money. DH insisted on buying a programme, although I asked him not to. It was £20 and just lots of pictures in it. A bit much in my opinion. It will just go in a drawer with all the others. The first time I saw the Beatles live it was ten bob!

Rufus2 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:55:42

That money would get spent anyway over the next month
Not being selfish, I'd give my excess money to the poor of M/c,sorry, Melb. OoRoo

Kim19 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:26:45

UrmG, have to say again I really like your style and way of thinking on this one. Bravo you!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:17:37

They are outrageous, aren't they? Years ago we saw the Eagles in Birmingham - I'd waited years for them to reform. DH went to buy a programme and I said, "If they're more than £10 maybe not to bother". They were £12 but he got one anyway as a memento of the evening.
Very nice too and I still have it years later but it was made of very thick and glossy paper. Couldn't they use something flimsier and cheaper - after all you could still keep it as a souvenir, couldn't you?
We are being taken for a ride at these events. The Eagles were superb by the way and it was the best concert ever.

Ellianne Sat 29-Jun-19 06:37:25

I don't think anyone should have to justify the price they pay for a drink while out. As others have said, it's the enjoyment of the whole occasion that counts and often the cost is worth it.

Shizam Sat 29-Jun-19 00:30:57

Tickets for west end theatre are mad now. Talking £150 each for a show. And they sell out! Luckily last one I wanted to see did a live screening at local cinema.

MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 23:27:48

In Lady Windemere's Fan, Oscar Wilde had Lord Darlington quip that a cynic was ' a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.'
As with so much of what Wilde wrote or said, it's more than just a nice turn of phrase – it hits at the heart of the problems of society.
Perhaps as true today as then ?

blue25 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:54:03

It's embarrassing when people are obsessed with the price of things when you're supposed to be enjoying a day out!
Life's too short.

A G&T at Queens Tennis last week was £9.50. Expensive yes, but so what-all part of the day out. Can't be doing with people penny pinching.

GreenGran78 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:14:34

Many years ago I took my two children on a school day trip to London. With careful planning we managed to fit in all the major sights, including the Crown Jewels. On buying them an ice cream I remarked to the man that they were three times more expensive than those back home. He promptly put an extra scoop on top of each cornet.
My daughter’s memory of the trip was a complete blank. She did, however, vividly remember the extra dollop of ice-cream!

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jun-19 21:49:22

Oh no EMMF1948 not if you view it as the ‘icing on the cake’.

But if it rankles, then I agree - don’t do it.

Imagine never going back to gay Paree because you knew you’d been overcharged for fruit juice!
?

Each to their own. For me, it’s part of the joy of the excursion. That money would get spent anyway over the next month ... on what? Plants? Knitting wool? A few magazines?

Nah! Push the boat out as a one-off and live in the moment!
?

jura2 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:29:36

Café Lorenzo is amazing- it is like having coffee in a Museum! Yes, we were truly shocked, but looking back, it was worth it for the experience smile

EMMF1948 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:26:33

I think, regardless of price (extortionate) it’s part and parcel of ‘a lovely day out’. As in ‘one for the memory box’.

It would be a horrible memory, probably the one that lasts longest, even if I can afford something I loathe to feel I've been ripped off and it can really spoil an event.

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 18:35:18

A large glass of cold Riesling, the rest of the bottle is in the fridge.
£6.99 from Lidl and very nice too.

glammanana Fri 28-Jun-19 18:20:01

I have just come off the phone from my DD,she and some of her pals from work where going to a new venue opened at the Ferry Terminal near where she works it is a sort of Foody Hall for different types of food and drinks opened up to bring the area more into the Bistro Types scene one of her collegues is leaving and they arranged to go for a drink and food until one of them mentioned that a bottle of house wine was £26 a bottle !! well that put paid to that and they are now on their way to a cheap and cheerful Weatherspoons,how do these owners expect to do business in low income areas charging prices like that.

Tillybelle Fri 28-Jun-19 18:08:03

Tedber. I love afternoon tea! Without alcohol for me so a lot cheaper. You used to be able to sit over it. Some places actually seem to chuck you out after a while now - very bad form I think! I am careful to find the good old fashioned hotels which do not do this. My daughter is good at that too, her background gave her a good insight into the kind of understated and quiet places that are not filled with tourists. So we go to some very nice ones which let us sit chatting. It's lovely.... followed by the opera... Heavenly!