Gransnet forums

Chat

Niece's 50th.

(46 Posts)
granzilla Fri 28-Jun-19 12:07:37

Hello fellow Gransnetters.
Over the last few years I've had great advice and help from this site ie. pension, cats, mother of the groom outfit to name but a few.Now need help again please.
Niece (DN) will be 50 next month and I'm stuck for what to buy.
She's a lovely girl woman and quite easy to please.I was thinking of some kind of pamper hamper either posh smellies or gin and nibbles.Budget of around £100.
Any ideas?
Thank you
Granzilla.

Norah Sat 12-Aug-23 17:02:09

hollysteers

pamdixon

or if you can be bothered, buy her 50 small gifts! Such fun unwrapping loads of things! I think I might have managed 20 gifts for a friends 70th actually - maybe 50 is a bit over ambitious!!
Or a subscription to flowers every month? always a treat

Such a good idea! Thank you.
My DD is 50 this year and her main present will be a piece of gold jewellery she will choose. She has v definite tastes.
I think fifty small items sounds such fun.

It is fun!

We do 'number of gifts' at all Birthdays and holidays for our GC, GGC.

Takes a bit to package/ribbon/wrap.

Primrose53 Sat 12-Aug-23 16:05:40

Premium Bonds.

hollysteers Sat 12-Aug-23 14:32:48

pamdixon

or if you can be bothered, buy her 50 small gifts! Such fun unwrapping loads of things! I think I might have managed 20 gifts for a friends 70th actually - maybe 50 is a bit over ambitious!!

Such a good idea! Thank you.
My DD is 50 this year and her main present will be a piece of gold jewellery she will choose. She has v definite tastes.
I think fifty small items sounds such fun.

Witzend Sat 12-Aug-23 11:04:43

Since she’s more or less at the other end of England I rarely see my elder niece, and long ago stopped giving birthday presents, but for her 50th I sent a £50 M&S voucher. I knew she was not exactly rolling in money and also had a local M&S, so it seemed suitable. If nothing else you can always treat yourself to some nice food, wine, or nice new knickers.
She sent a lovely thank you note. 🙂

Calendargirl Sat 12-Aug-23 09:06:03

Yes, DN will be 54 now!

OP will soon be asking advice for her 60th!

Foxygloves Sat 12-Aug-23 07:24:46

Zombie thread resurrected by a spammer. shock yawn

adreamer Sat 12-Aug-23 07:21:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

janeainsworth Thu 04-Jul-19 06:22:18

That sounds lovely granzilla especially the gingrin

granzilla Wed 03-Jul-19 11:18:20

Sorry for being a bit late for getting back.
Thanks to everyone for such helpful advice.
I've decided that as DN and family are NT members to give a voucher for a spa and afternoon tea session at one of the NT places that they visit.
There are 4 in our county that do such vouchers and her DH is quite happy to be in on the (hopefully) surprise.
I've also bought her some posh gin and fever tree tonic that she can open on the actual day.
My DGC's are making cards with a rocket theme as DN was actually born on the day of the moon landing.moon
DH and I had our first date on that day too.smile
Again thank you all for your kindness.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 09:23:17

MawBroonsback I have recently given my jewellery “leaving gift” from 15 years ago to my youngest daughter as she “has a friend who might wear it”!
It might have gone to the charity shop years ago if I wasn’t still in the same town!

ann678tifney Mon 01-Jul-19 13:18:45

Pamdixon, I got this very present for my 60th, and a list of clues of what was in each gift, I had to try and guess before I opened them. I loved it and it took ages to open them all lol this was from my boss and his wife.

Razzy Mon 01-Jul-19 00:08:11

It really depends what she likes! My idea of hell would be spending a day at a spa! Or getting a hamper of smellies!

A food hamper would be good, IF someone knew what I liked - I got one full of exotic teas and fruity things once, both of which I hate! I also don't drink wine and I get given many a bottle of wine and champagne - it is useful for me to take to parties as a present for others though!

For me I would love theatre vouchers, activity vouchers, National Trust or RSPB etc.

So it really needs to be something she loves. My aunt doesn't get out as much as she used to, but loves sweet things and treats. I got a cream tea hamper sent to her as I knew she would love scones, biscuits, etc. It came with fresh clotted cream and cakes etc. She was over the moon with it! So really needs to be what the person wants....

Mapleleaf Sun 30-Jun-19 22:02:28

interests, not interested!

Mapleleaf Sun 30-Jun-19 21:59:40

Do you know her dislikes and likes? Perfumes, etc are very personal, but if you know what she likes, then perhaps you could buy something that contains the fragrance in lots of things ie perfume, bath lotion, creams, deodorants, soaps, body spray etc. Otherwise a gift voucher of a favourite store so she can buy just what she likes. On the other hand, is she a gardener? Would she like garden vouchers? Or is she a wine connoisseur, so vouchers for a wine club, or special foods, or perhaps she likes cooking and would like special ingredients/utensils. Sorry if this seems a wide selection, but you haven’t given much clue to her interested/likes
/dislikes. Another thought is a years membership to English heritage, National Trust, RSPB or similar or subscription to a magazine she likes?

Daisymae Sun 30-Jun-19 13:43:47

How about cinema vouchers? If that's her thing.
Mawbroon - I would sell the pandora bracelet on eBay and buy something you would wear!

MawBroonsback Sun 30-Jun-19 10:50:08

Jewellery is so personal.
I was given a Pandora bracelet with some really nice charms as a retirement present.
It languishes in its box, unworn and I really wish they had consulted someone who knows my taste as it was kindly meant ?

Kim19 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:47:04

I would include in her card a chit indicating your proposed budget and simply ask her how she would like to spend this amount on an outing/occasion with you. Her choice. Your pleasure.

SueH49 Sun 30-Jun-19 04:03:58

What about a Pandora necklace or bracelet.
For me a pamper package would be a waste. I'm just not comfortable with that sort of thing.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-Jun-19 00:35:12

I’m sorry but I wouldn’t have wanted a spa day.
Do think carefully before you buy anything - make sure that you think it’s “her sort” of gift.

Ohmother Sat 29-Jun-19 21:38:15

If her tipple is gin there are some slate or Portland stone gin racks on the Welshslatewineracks site. I bought my my friend a wine rack and they engraved it for me too! Ioan was really helpful with cost and finding me the right one. My friend thought it was novel and loves it!

Aepgirl Sat 29-Jun-19 21:13:58

I think a spa day is a really lovely gift. A whole day of pampering, and it is something she would probably not buy for herself.

cassandra264 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:19:23

You could buy her an 'experience' day she can either do on her own or with someone else. Spa day really good idea; but there are other possibilities depending on her interests. Tea for two somewhere posh; wine tasting; pony trekking; paddle boarding; boat trip to see wildlife; steam train or coach trip somewhere interesting... the list is endless.

justwokeup Sat 29-Jun-19 14:27:26

Def not smellies, far too personal. A spa day with lunch for two, if it's her type of thing would be my choice. If it's a bit over your budget then Groupon is a good source of discounts but, in any event, check out the reviews. Don't forget to mention it's her 50th birthday treat - they may provide an extra or two.

pamdixon Sat 29-Jun-19 13:13:59

Grandyma Sat 29-Jun-19 12:53:38

m.mynamenecklace.co.uk/ My daughter bought me a beautiful bracelet from here last Christmas - very unusual personalised jewellery