Gransnet forums

Chat

Good afternoon Saturday!

(7 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sat 29-Jun-19 13:15:26

Just saying good afternoon to all, as I am far too late to post on the morning thread! We are two hours ahead of the UK, so I was up and out on a tour by 7am UK time. Bright and sunny here in St Petersburg, but very windy.

Yesterday evening was fantastic - we had a private after hours tour of the Winter Palace and Hermitage when all other visitors were gone. A dream come true for me. Saw the treasures of the Gold and Diamond rooms, then toured the wonderful state rooms, and were free to take photos of anything we wanted. We then saw the paintings, Titian, Da Vinci, Rembrandt, and Caravaggio amongst others. And then a private concert by the St Petersburg Festival Orchestra, followed by Russian champagne. Arrived back on board just before midnight, tired, but delighted to find that the late night Russian buffet was still going. As I hadn't eaten since lunchtime I was starving! Managed another glass of fizz as well!

As a result I overslept, and had to rush to get breakfast before today's tour of the city.

Going to relax and read this afternoon. Hope the rest of your day goes well.

annsixty Sat 29-Jun-19 13:22:56

What a fantastic time you are having BlueSapphire
I am envy. Enjoy the rest.
What memories you will have.

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 13:28:00

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip with us BlueSapphire I have enjoyed reading about your visits to different countries . I have always been fascinated with Russia and would have loved to visit St Petersburg. I would love it if you would post some photographs .

I hope you have a lovely relaxing afternoon smile

dragonfly46 Sat 29-Jun-19 13:29:20

Sounds wonderful BlueSapphire.

KatyK Sat 29-Jun-19 13:30:10

How lovely. Just yesterday I was watching The Hairy Bikers who were in St Petersburg. What a beautiful place it looks.

Sar53 Sat 29-Jun-19 14:49:07

Wow that sounds wonderful BlueSappphire. I've always been fascinated by Russian History. Sounds like you are having a great time.

Mapleleaf Sat 29-Jun-19 22:36:43

It sounds fabulous, BlueSapphire. Keep the posts coming!