Gransnet forums

Chat

When to tell Long Distant SO about denture

(92 Posts)
What2do Sun 30-Jun-19 03:57:08

Hello - I'm new here and wanted to reach out for some guidance or advice. I recently started corresponding w/ a woman from South America. We met on On line dating site, we have been talking for about 6 months and she's coming to visit me next month. I was wondering, should I tell her about my denture before she comes here or wait to see her and tell her face to face? She's a wonderful woman, a little vain but is very kind...to be honest, we have fallen for one another however NEVER met...this is our first face to face meeting and I am so excited...however, I feel I must tell her at some point...the question is tell her over one of our phone calls or face to face...any advice??????????????

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 12:59:14

But please be aware that they can see into your computer and other devices and know what you're doing and saying every minute of the day

Was this a serious opinion BradfordLass or a quote from elsewhere?
Funniest thing I have read since my granny used to think TV newsreaders could see her if she was watching TV in her dressing gown grin

Hetty58 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:49:48

Too many coincidences don't you all think, with all the ex-military cyber-security connections? One person tries, yet fails to be two (hint - how about changing your writing style?) so they can both 'agree'. I think I'll have the last laugh - all very amusing!

BradfordLass72 Wed 10-Jul-19 06:09:27

Hetty58

Quoting my post and yours:
But please be aware that they can see into your computer and other devices and know what you're doing and saying every minute of the day

is utterly ridiculous and totally untrue. Why on Earth would you believe such nonsense?

HAHAHAHAAAAAA grin grin I'm afraid I almost fell off my chair laughing at that!!! Hetty you are priceless. smile

SueH49 Wed 10-Jul-19 03:51:32

Some very judgmental replies on this thread. There are several posters on this forum who seem to have a sense of entitlement and deem what is a genuine post and what is not. Who cares if someone is posting a question or statement simply to wind up others then they obviously have a need to be seen and quite possibly are crying out for help.

Good luck with the visit what2do, I hope it is everything you hope it is. I wouldn't worry too much abut the dentures IMO it is not really any different to wearing glasses/contact lenses and I doubt would be a deal breaker.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jul-19 00:12:13

what2do
I met my ex partner on a site similar to this (only fractionally more friendly) and we were smitten straight away.

He arranged to come down for a visit, and a few days before decided to tell me his teeth were awful.
Me: "how awful are we talking?"
Him: "Well, you know the singer out of 'The Pogues?"
Cue a terrible silence...
Him: "Are you bothered?"
Me: "Well, its not exactly top on the list I look for in a partner..."

Anyway, we met, he did have awful teeth, but I made him go and have them all out it didn't matter.

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 23:17:57

Well, I am wounded. Far be it from me to discourage anyone coming on here in genuine need of help!

I gave good advice imo - have an implant, expensive and takes several appointment but absolutely worth it!!
If there is no time, for goodness' sake don't leave your denture in a glass by the bed, or in the bathroom for that matter (very offputting).

For all you know, she may be having exactly the same worries.

What2do Tue 09-Jul-19 22:45:48

Wow, I've been on some boards but this one takes the cake. To all those who have offered guidance and advice...thank you...to all the others...Hetty58, callistemon, BlueBelle...you discourage people from coming to boards like this for advice. I'm done, don't worry won't be back to bother or "grovel" anymore. Have a little more compassion for those who are just simply seeking advice.

Hetty58 Mon 08-Jul-19 18:35:45

'Benefit of the doubt'? Nope, no can do - too bizarre! I'll stick around for the amusement value though!

sassenach512 Mon 08-Jul-19 14:47:37

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt for God's sake or scroll on by, just because you think his questions are odd doesn't make it so. The Gransnet Censor Police at its best, unfortunately

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 13:55:40

I'm disillusioned though sad
I thought that all Americans had perfect, even, sparkling white teeth!

Actually, I'm quite relieved in a way.

Hetty58 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:01:16

BradfordLass72, I disagree and I'm with BlueBelle on this. What the OP says just doesn't ring true. There was a fantasist on another forum (recently closed) who made up wild stories with similar grammatical errors. He may have moved here.

Your statement:

'But please be aware that they can see into your computer and other devices and know what you're doing and saying every minute of the day'

is utterly ridiculous and totally untrue. Why on Earth would you believe such nonsense?

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Jul-19 12:51:47

bradfordlass grin

And you are welcome here What2do - don't be put off. We have lots of people from all over the world on here!

BradfordLass72 Mon 08-Jul-19 08:57:16

Why wouldn't she be allowed in ? Even the USA allows tourists!

Let me get this right. A 60-something ex USAF cyber security professional has written to a UK grandparents’ website to ask advice about when or how to reveal he has dentures

Yep. exactly, even I can understand something that simple.

As far as I am aware (but no doubt I'll be jumped on if I'm wrong) Gransnet doesn't bar ex-military, Americans, people in IT (even, shock horror - whizz kids in cyber security!) Irish Catholics; people in their 60's; those who adore their Peruvian girlfriends...even people with dentures. grin

I can think of a few categories I wish the would ban.

Most ex-military say 'padre' - my Dad used to, as does my son. Is that a crime now?

Cyber-security doesn't necessary mean 'a computer whizz kid'
Both my sons are in this field, the elder is 50!

I've had more fun laughing at the grumpy old posters on this thread than from simply reading the OP ....which I took at face value.

And if I'm proved wrong - so what? grin It won't mean a gnat's orchid to me.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jul-19 08:06:48

Oh dear don’t grovel What2do that’s even worse
Quit whilst you’re ahead
Do you normally warn people that you don’t have all your teeth ? I wear contacts but I ve never felt the need to advise any new partners that piece of news I guess it’s a bit different as they’re not going to stick their tongue in my eye but .....
Look i ll be honest I m still not sure about this thread the reason behind it or even the validity of the story but do come back and tell us how it all goes if and when she comes to visit

What2do Mon 08-Jul-19 01:22:41

Callistemon - Actually Callistemon, a couple of people told me that I should go to Mexico, they do implants there cheap. However, the thoughts of going to Mexico to do surgery drum up thoughts of a back ally dentist smile
MawBroonsback - My apologies in advance, I just thought people who are a few years older than me may have gone thru the same issue at one time in their lives. I mean no disrespect. Thought it couldn't hurt, however maybe I should have left it at significant other, b/c a lot of folks are more concerned w/ my bank account and losing $$ or getting bamboozeled....which is great advice, however I am more concerned as to the "reveal" that I have a denture. Again to all board members, my apologies if I have offended anyone by coming to " UK grandparents’ website to ask advice about when or how to reveal he has dentures to his Peruvian girlfriend"...to be blunt, grandparents or people older than me, I feel, have a greater depth of knowledge and experience than I do, and maybe willing to lend some of that guidance or experience out for others to follow or learn from...again, I mean no disrespect and i thank you in advance...

Hetty58 Mon 08-Jul-19 00:04:09

Is this research for a book, perhaps?

Callistemon Sun 07-Jul-19 23:28:27

I think so.

However, knowing what US Immigration is like, I am really worried that she may not be allowed in What2do.

Please do update us on whether she gains entry to the US and what she thinks of your dentures.

ps is she bringing the chihuahuas with her?

pps don't whip your dentures out at the airport when you meet her, save it until later.

MawBroonsback Sun 07-Jul-19 23:26:23

Oops sorry, 50 -something.
But asking grannies? confused

MawBroonsback Sun 07-Jul-19 23:23:54

Let me get this right
A 60-something ex USAF cyber security professional has written to a UK grandparents’ website to ask advice about when or how to reveal he has dentures to his Peruvian girlfriend (pen friend? Internet bride?) whose fare he is paying to the US but whom he has yet to meet?

Is this the US equivalent of Thai/Vietnamese mail order brides?

Callistemon Sun 07-Jul-19 21:08:35

What2do

You could probably get an implant done in Budapest cheaper than in the States - including air fare and hotel costs.

Too late now so I hope she loves you, teeth or not.

smile

What2do Sun 07-Jul-19 20:19:25

Daddima, Callistemon, BlueBelle and Vanall - Why is it odd? I have been honest w/ my post, sorry if it sounds odd to you.
Miep1 - Saw the email, but I hear your point! Thanks
MawBroonsback & Bellanonna - What is wrong w/ you? Is this not a support group? And thank you NotSpeghetti, I appreciate that! I am just looking for some wisdom some guidance on a specific topic, not to become a punching bag for those who are just negative. I can take the negative views about my situation but you sought of cross the line with some of your comments.
To all others, THANK YOU...I appreciate the support and guidance!!!

What2do Sun 07-Jul-19 20:08:29

Wow, well got to take the good w/ the bad, some of these comments are harsh, but it comes w/ the territory I guess. I am ex military and padre isn't a slip, I just feel better calling my priest padre instead of father. Oh yes, I totally understand that I may have other problems to worry about besides my denture, like so many have said...my bank account and I will be very careful with that. So many to answer, I NEVER sent any $$ I paid for the air fare, she paid for hotel/rent a car. I am American, she is peruvian. OMG, there are some cynical people on here, let me put it to your straight, I am an IRISH CATHOLIC, EX MILITARY (USAF) from NEW JERSEY!!!...I wish I could have the implant done before she gets here but not enough time, besides one poster said and I agree "if it bothers her than she isn't the one..." and yes, I said in one post she's a wonderful woman followed up by comments around her faults was to illustrate that I am not just looking at all the good points. LDR are tricky to say the least and the differences in culture is a challenge...and Bellanonna, greetings, now you met a catholic who uses the term padre (sometimes) instead of priest or father, nice to meet you. Lets see what did I miss, she flys in 7/26 so, will definitely post an update. Thank you all for your comments, good and bad...

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 10:06:19

It just reminds me of that joke:

"Your teeth are like stars, darling!"
"They come out at night"
grin showing my crowns (firmly fixed I hope)

Is it too late for an implant, What2do, or can't you afford one now you've paid her airfare?
It could be worth it!

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jul-19 09:39:21

so any advice from those that confessed to their significant other * how did you go about doing it?*
Now it’s feeling a bit like the computer whizz kid is wanting personal tales from denture wearing grans I d be very cautious as to what stories you tell
I can’t help anyway I ve still got my own

crazyH Sat 06-Jul-19 09:10:49

Give us an update what2do, if and when she does visit