Gransnet forums

Chat

My Birthday and I don't like any fuss.

(111 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:56:14

It's my birthday today. and I just hate celebrating it. I have had texts and cards and been for a lovely walk with my husband and dog. I walk most days and am happy just having a normal day. Am I being miserable or does anyone else feel like this on their special day?

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:37:31

Rufus- better than not having another!

Rufus2 Tue 02-Jul-19 06:29:27

Am I being miserable?
You've obviously got tongue in cheek, but whether or not, the answer is"Yes!"
There's too much of it going on these days!
Btw; it's my birthday next Tuesday and I couldn't be happier. Bring it on, the more the merrier! grin

BradfordLass72 Tue 02-Jul-19 01:28:15

(whispered reminder) birthday gifts and congratulations are a two-way thing.

You may say you don't want presents, cards and people saying 'Happy Birthday' at you - but just think of the joy you are denying them when you put a spanner in their kindly works.

Abuelana Mon 01-Jul-19 23:23:31

I quite like my birthday as long as I get to organise it !!! I hate surprises they’re either ott or disappointing. My family know me and let me get on with it.

Ellie Anne Mon 01-Jul-19 23:01:22

I don’t enjoy mine either. Dreading my 70 next year.
On my 60 th husband and children didn’t organise anything and it was a miserable day. I’d organised a family meal for his 60th and 70th so was really hurt.

wintersday Mon 01-Jul-19 22:50:21

If you were born on the 29th of February, like me, you would only have to celebrate your birthday every 4 years!

wintersday Mon 01-Jul-19 22:34:58

If you had been born on the 29th of February, like me, you would only have to celebrate your birthday every 4 years!

sharon103 Mon 01-Jul-19 21:22:48

Wishing you all a wonderful birthday, [cake]wineflowers

Kim19 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:52:11

I love my birthday and am full of the feel good factor all the day long. Always have felt like this and even used to take a day's leave as my personal celebration. I don't need 'stuff' but if a birthday gives me the bonus of the chance of seeing my C or GC then I'll happily settle for any number of them real or otherwise. Cards? Presents? Don't give a hoot but...... important people every time! Oh yesssss!

Hymnbook Mon 01-Jul-19 19:47:07

I love birthdays but they are always a big disappointment to me. I sometimes wonder if my friends and family know me at all looking at the gifts and cards l receive. I think really it's like Christmas l should like to celebrate with friends and family and that would be a lovely gift.

maureen118 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:31:02

... or late!

maureen118 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:30:22

razzy .. my grandson' s birthday is same as yours .. I celebrate it 6 months earlier .. smile

Annaram1 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:25:48

How many birthdays do we get in our lifetime? Maybe 70 or 80 and occasionally more. I think you should have 3 days of celebration, and if your birthday falls in the winter have 2 of those days in the summer, Celebrate with gusto!!!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 01-Jul-19 17:41:32

No fuss for me either. I'm 70 this year and all I want is a meal out with husband, daughter (if she can get to Cornwall from Warrington) and our dog. Hoping to meet up with 2 friends I have in Derbyshire (left 5 years ago) but will probably do it mid country late summer as birthday is on 30 December.

harrysgran Mon 01-Jul-19 17:41:20

I love to celebrate other people's birthdays but as for my own I much prefer to go about my day as normal I'm not a misery guts just don't like a fuss I have worked at the same place for 18years and although I put money in a collection for all my work colleagues I don't tell anyone when my birthday is

GrauntyHelen Mon 01-Jul-19 17:17:43

Getting older/old is a privilege not everyone gets so Iam VERY happy to celebrate my birthday and always make a point of celebrating the birthdays of others too Think on

LizVck Mon 01-Jul-19 16:56:26

It's my birthday tomorrow and I will be spending a good part of it at the fracture clinic in our local hospital, I had a fall at the end of last month and badly broke my right ankle have spent the last 5 weeks hopping around the house using a zimmer frame as I am not allowed to put any weight on it. I won't hear from my daughter this year as she is on holiday and my 2 sons never send cards or make any contact at all.

Annaram1 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:47:24

Happy Birthday Jones!!!
One of my best birthdays was when I was still working. I think it was my 50th, I often walked my dog in the nearby woods, and saw a notice there that said that the woodland Warden would take anybody who wanted to on a woodland walk. I phoned the number given and arranged to meet the Warden at the car park there. He took me on a lovely trip around the woods, pointing out such things as a squirrel's dray, badger's holt, various flowers etc. and told me all sorts of interesting things. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a lot of fuss is made by my family and I don't think my friends really remember me now. Perhaps they will when I turn 80, I will drop serious hints about it.

JonesKpj000 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:33:22

Thank you all once again. I did have a lovely day and enjoyed seeing my son's and their partners. I really appreciate everything I receive, just don't like being the centre of attention, but I am very grateful for having a loving family. Happy Birthday to all that are celebrating or not, their birthday today, and to all our other fellow cancerians out there.

HillyN Mon 01-Jul-19 15:26:03

I like my family to make a bit of fuss on my birthday; my DDs and their families come round with presents and we have to have a cake so that my GD can blow out the candles! My DH and I then have a couple of nights away somewhere in a hotel.
What I DON'T do is to share any details about when my birthday is on social media. Lots of my friends from church would see it and it has not been unknown for a birthday to be announced during the service and for the whole congregation sing 'Happy Birthday' to them. I would find that so embarrassing. So I won't be sharing my birth date with any of you- sorry!

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-Jul-19 15:14:17

Perhaps you could turn it round and see it as all the people who love you celebrating your birthday when they send greetings.

annemac101 Mon 01-Jul-19 14:36:36

Happy birthday JonesKPj000. It's my birthday today too and I love birthday celebrations, alas mine are always very low key,even in childhood. I have a chest infection and feeling a bit yuk. My grandchildren can't visit as some of them aren't well and I don't want to pass any of my bugs to them. So feeling a bit down today. Had plans to go shopping for clothes,meal, cinema with hubby but that will have to wait until I'm well again.

Witchypoo Mon 01-Jul-19 14:29:57

I wish i could celebrate my birthday. My family dont acknowledge it. Have no friends now so only card i get is one i buy from my pets. Normal day very sad

Vivian123 Mon 01-Jul-19 14:26:53

Birthday! Just another day. I celebrate every day, happy that I am still here and am able to enjoy myself. I don't need a special day to celebrate a wonderful life.

minxie Mon 01-Jul-19 14:00:46

The many Young people buried along Side my mum would love to celebrate their birthday. Be grateful for every birthday you reach