Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(11 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:22:22

I am currently on here instead of getting on with my Tax Return.
What do other people put off doing?

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 15:34:40

Currently, the ironing!!

shysal Mon 01-Jul-19 16:46:52

For me it was always cutting my steep lawn. I now have a 'man' in to do it for me. Worth every penny!

Also all housework waits until I feel inclined, which isn't very often!

Maybelle Mon 01-Jul-19 17:12:57

Putting off sorting the ironing and putting the washing away

Bridgeit Mon 01-Jul-19 17:25:10

I’m the opposite, get the nasties out of the way first , then you can relax .
I believe it is called ‘ delayed gratification ‘ not sure I like the term, but if you can persuade yourself to get on with it, the satisfaction of having all it done & dusted is worth it.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Jul-19 18:24:45

Our eldest daughter procrastinates at degree level. Study at school and uni was stressful (for me, not her - she made me anxious on her behalf) but she did really well.

I read it’s often a sign from a perfectionist. The person dreads not performing to his/her exacting standards so delays starting at all.

I also remember reading don’t wait thinking you’ll feel like doing ‘it’. That will never happen! Just jump right in and make a start. Once you get going, the enthusiasm follows (apparently!).

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jul-19 18:29:13

I have different days. Some days I tackle everything with no problem, other days I do everything except what I should be doing including even getting meals etc.

midgey Mon 01-Jul-19 18:29:49

This is the subject I am most successful in! Need to do a specific job....then first walk the dog, mow the lawn, Hoover, iron and then...oh drat I’ve run out of time!

Gonegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 18:57:25

Planting the three plants I bought on Friday. I know if I got on and did it, and a bit more gardening, I would feel great, but have spent afternoon lying on garden bench, reading, dozing, reading, dozing....

Tomorrow. Definitely.

Cabbie21 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:12:43

Well I did eventually start my tax return after some delay, but had to stop because I am still waiting for some banks to supply details of untaxed interest on savings. Can’t argue with that excuse.
Actually I have ticked quite a few items off my to do list today, so it is not all bad.

cornergran Mon 01-Jul-19 19:15:50

Anything involving admin. No problem with it when I was working, simply tacked it on to the end of the working day. Now? Just have no desire to do it - procrastination rules while I tell myself I should get on and do it. I get very frustrated with me.