Gransnet forums

Chat

An unnecessary extravagance?

(24 Posts)
annsixty Tue 02-Jul-19 09:03:29

I have just sent a Parker Knoll armchair to be reupholstered.
It is costing half the cost of a new one and when I reflect, a quarter of the cost of our first home back in 1960.
I felt guilty for a day and then decided that I am getting a new chair that I love, in a new colour I HOPE I love.
Extravagant or not?

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 09:07:22

No, I had my Parker Knoll recovered about seven years ago. It was LOVELY on return.
Enjoy it!!

wildswan16 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:07:51

Not extravagant at all. You are renovating a loved piece of furniture, saving the forests by not buying a new one and giving work to a skilled craftsman.

In addition you have time to look forward in anticipation for your chair returning to it's rightful home and the joy of sitting in it for many years to come.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:10:39

I would consider it a necessary extravagance. It's a chair which you love and it'll be even nicer with new upholstery. Sit back and enjoy.

ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 09:20:01

Much better for the environment and a much better quality piece of furniture than modern stuff. I did an upholstery course and was told PK a brand to look out for. I redid my Dad’s PK for my daughter. Enjoy.

Greyduster Tue 02-Jul-19 09:20:21

We have a Parker Knoll Norton recliner which we bought in the mid eighties. It has been reupholstered once and I am considering having it done again. It is a friend. I love it. Not an extravagance at all, Ann.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 09:20:33

No, not at all, annsixty

I so wish I had kept my MIL's Parker Knoll chair, but I had no room for it at our house, as it had no fire certificate the charity shop didn't want it and it went in the skip sad.

Enjoy your newly upholstered chair smile

kittylester Tue 02-Jul-19 09:22:53

Notve tracagant at all.

We bought a hugely expensive 3 piece suite 45 years ago - well, it seemed hugely expensive then at about £400.. We have had it recovered 3 times and reconfigured once (so it's a bit like Trigger's broom!) but we know we like it and that's what counts.

Willow500 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:25:39

Definitely not extravagant at all - enjoy it when it returns!

MawBroonsback Tue 02-Jul-19 09:26:41

I wish I had had our lovely William Morris sofa reupholstered and recovered after 20+ years of stylish “shabby chic” but the cost quoted was the same as a new (much inferior) one. To be fair that lasted until last year, so another 15 or so years but I knew I had made the wrong decision.
So not extravagant and not unnecessary!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:31:40

Annsixty enjoy your chair when it returns, I do not think it is extravagant at all.

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:34:35

We decided to replace our old sofas this year. We’d only had them 35years. We we decided they were too slouchy for us now. We have given one to a nephew the other one is still in the shed.
So we now have 2 new ones. Totally lovely but they wobble!
Hopefully it will be sorted out but sometimes the ones you know are the best!
The dark one is the new one!

Fennel Tue 02-Jul-19 09:48:27

If you can afford it without going without other essentials it's not an extravagance.
A really comfy and supportive easy chair is essential.

Glammy57 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:53:29

Well worth it! We are thinking of having our two Parker Knoll wing chairs re-upholstered. They are about twenty-five years old.

SueDonim Tue 02-Jul-19 13:19:15

I wouldn't consider that an extravagance. PK is an excellent brand and to replace with new would be much more expensive. Also, you are 'reducing, reusing and recycling' and therefore not contributing to the environmental probalems we have.

Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your refurbished chair when it returns! smile

annep1 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:35:10

Recovering is good. We had M&S suite which we loved. Couldn't fund anything to equal it. As Pamelaj said you know what you have

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 14:01:56

Mine was 2nd hand in 1950 so has been recovered several times... still going strong.

BBbevan Tue 02-Jul-19 14:05:00

Not extravagant at all. We have a large sofa that we love. We have had it upholstered twice, and have never regretted it .

leyla Mon 08-Jul-19 07:47:48

We had my grampa's old PK reupholstered about 15 years ago and I am thinking of having it done again. Are you having it done by PK or by someone local?

BradfordLass72 Mon 08-Jul-19 09:01:40

Of course it's extravagant, you should be sitting on one of those el cheapo plastic garden chairs from Tesco smile

Tighten yer belt !!!

glammanana Mon 08-Jul-19 09:18:58

I bet it will look glorious and worth every penny.

annsixty Mon 08-Jul-19 09:24:29

leyla I am having it done by a local upholsterer.
I have been to his workshop and seen his work
I was happy with what I saw.
I will post a photograph when I get it back .
He picked it up last Monday but is busy so it may be a week or two.

M0nica Mon 08-Jul-19 16:02:56

There is more to life than money and always buying the cheapest of everything. No pockets in a shroud.

3dognight Mon 08-Jul-19 16:12:47

parker knolls are beautifully made, and made to last, and made in the uk. Whats not to love? Much better to have it re-upholstered than buy new. Im sure you will love your new chair, and it will now be extra comfy! Please post a picture when you have it back.