Gransnet forums

Chat

Love Rock Choir. detest "dance moves"

(11 Posts)
granfromafar Mon 14-Mar-22 22:20:07

It is great fun, Frogs. Our motto is 'Sing like no-one is listening'! We are even singing at the Cornbury music festival in July alongside acts such as James Blunt, Ronan Keating and Jools Holland!

Frogs Sat 12-Mar-22 12:04:59

I saw The Tuneless choir on TV - I agree it looked great fun. I was tempted to try that too, but am a dedicated Rock choir member. There’s room for every choir ?.

granfromafar Fri 11-Mar-22 20:27:00

Never been to a Rock Choir but I would recommend Tuneless choirs. There are about 30 or so dotted around the country. If there isn't one near you there is also a Virtual session every Tuesday evening. We sing songs from the 60s onwards and you don't have to learn the words as they are projected on to a screen. It's for people of any singing ability and you can sing to your heart's content . People can jig along to the music or not, whatever you prefer. Have been going to my local one since it started 3 years ago and it's great fun. Obviously we didn't meet during lockdown but it continued on Zoom for those who wanted.

Treebee Fri 11-Mar-22 19:42:49

I agree with Frogs. I’ve been a Rockie for 12 years and the moves are part of the appeal of the choir for me. Music makes me move so I’m happy to be given choreography. Sometimes it’s challenging to learn but it’s satisfying when learnt and it looks good if the moves are crisp, We watch our leader all the time , who gives us cues for both the lyrics and the choreography. Yes, the moves have been simplified in recent years due to complaints about them being too complicated. I think that’s a shame.

Grandma70s Fri 11-Mar-22 17:41:22

eazybee

I enjoy watching the dance moves because it makes a concert into a performance. So many choirs sing well, but are as dull as ditch water to watch; some members rock back and forth, too many look down, don't project and lack animation.
In the concert I watched recently, every one was completely in time and everyone looked as though they were enjoying themselves, which makes it a pleasure for the audience.

If they rock back and forth, look down and so on they are not being properly trained. A choir can sing well, stand still and their faces can be animated - they should be looking at the conductor.

The choirs I sang in tended to do Bach, Mozart, Britten, so jigging about was not part of our performances. The only time I was asked to move was when we sang some happy-clappy hymns for a visiting celebrity. I suspect I was not very good at it.

NotTooOld Fri 11-Mar-22 17:24:53

Conversely, I once started group ukulele lessons where, to my horror, we not only had to learn the chords we also had to sing! I cannot sing so never went back.

eazybee Fri 11-Mar-22 17:20:47

I enjoy watching the dance moves because it makes a concert into a performance. So many choirs sing well, but are as dull as ditch water to watch; some members rock back and forth, too many look down, don't project and lack animation.
In the concert I watched recently, every one was completely in time and everyone looked as though they were enjoying themselves, which makes it a pleasure for the audience.

Frogs Fri 11-Mar-22 16:19:49

I’ve been in Rock choir for 11 years. I enjoy the moves and it was one of the reasons me and other fellow Rockies joined up. I am sad to report that the moves have been dumbed down for the last couple of years. I think people groan when moves are mentioned as its part of the camaraderie feeling but we always groan with a smile and we all enjoy them once they’ve been mastered. I find it difficult to sing the song without doing the moves as well. ?
But as I say the moves have really been watered down to swaying, clicking and clapping here and there, really boring for me and the audience in my opinion.
So if you can cope with a bit of swaying and clicking it may be safe for you to return now.

Grannyknot Tue 02-Jul-19 10:16:59

Hi Mumski I sing in Rock Choir and in my group a lot of us do exactly the same when it comes to the dance moves (grimace and whisper a moan) I can't sing and make moves at the same time smile so I mainly hide in the back at public gigs. But I guess a wooden "standing still" performance when you're singing something like "Footloose" would seem a bit strange...

Also some people really go for it and seem to enjoy the moves.

The many choirs I have sung in over the years tends to ask for feedback as to what we like (e.g. which songs) but not one has ever asked what we don't like! So people (like you) vote with their feet.

Teetime Tue 02-Jul-19 10:14:29

I used to sing in a Choral Society and I loved the discipline of it - would hate one where have to do swaying and such- I'm too self conscious for that.

mumski Tue 02-Jul-19 09:20:45

I've heard there is a possibility they maybe stopping /reducing them.
I loved going and got an awful lot from it, however myself and many of the choirs I attended hate doing them. There was always a communal groan and moan whenever the choir leader said "right we are now going to learn the dance moves". The general view is it detracts from the singing and when viewed at a concert looks dreadful. sad
Myself and a number of others stopped going but would happily return if it was toned down or even stopped. What's your view and has anyone else heard this ?