Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice on a Pop of Colour in my kitchen.

(95 Posts)
Coolgran65 Thu 04-Jul-19 21:43:48

I'd love to have advice and opinions on what colour to use for a 'Pop of Colour' in my very small kitchen.
The kitchen is a small galley shape, it is 12 years old and is still in fair condition, certainly not ready to replace it. When the dishwasher died we had guests arriving the next day, dh quickly went out and bought a slide in replacement thus getting rid of the kitchen door that had previously hidden the dishwasher.

The worktops are walnut woodblock pattern in laminate and are in perfect condition. Well dare anyone not use a chopping board !!
The floors are a greyish/brownish 'slate looking' tile.
The cupboard doors are an almond cream colour and the emulsioned walls match perfectly. All very matchy matchy. Last year I painted the end wall (not the door wall) a soft pale sage green, which was actually the sage green from the living room with a dollop of white thrown in. It is fresh but unexciting.

Last week I took a notion to paint the two end walls a bright colour and lime green came to mind. We have used lime green to accessorise in the bathroom i.e. roller blind, towels, etc. I have photographed a hand towel from the bathroom to show the colour.

Thing is, when I said to my dh he said, that's fine. Which is code for, whatever makes you happy (just don't trail me around shops or go on about shade and tone). He wants me to just reach him the paint and tell him where I want painted.

What do you think of this colour on each end wall?
Or please suggest another colour, I am open to ideas just not great with yellow.

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jul-19 08:05:48

As there is a lot of the Teal paint left I'm thinking of using it on one wall of our porch. I'm on a roll. We used to say of my grandmother, don't stand still or you'll get painted. smile

gransal Fri 12-Jul-19 00:41:13

GG54 typical negative post on05-JUL-19 10.06

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jul-19 00:11:36

Well, talk about an about a U-turn. I went out last Saturday afternoon fully intending to get lime green paint, while dh was at his bowls match. Well didn't he get a bit of a shock when he arrived home to find the wall half covered with paint from a tester pot that was far removed from lime green. Happily he liked it.

As I had looked at the greens it got more and more difficult to pick a good lime green and I started to sway towards my favourite sage greens again albeit in strong deep tones.
I kept thinking about the aubergine as suggested by a pp, then remembered another poster had painted dark and hated it in the winter. Didn't have dh or a friend with me to give an opinion and started to dither. Eventually, went for this one, a very dark Teal. DS described it as the colour of a stormy sea.

Not quite finished yet as the original clock is in place. I need a bigger clock to break up the space. There is a garland of daisies with a lovely yellow centre that is gorgeous against the wall. Unfortnately it's not a great picture and the daisies aren't showing up as well as they do in reality.

On the worktop there is a blue-ish glass mason jar with some yellow wild flowers (weeds) from the beach today, yesterday there were buttercups but they don't last long. I plan on seeing what TKMaxx or Dunelm have in the way of (yellow) artificial wild flowers.
Because it's dark dh is going to fit a (spot) light in that corner.

We also painted the opposite wall at the back door and popped a couple of large, 12", yellow paper flowers on top of the larder, stole them from the bathroom. The kick-boards running along the bottom of the cupboards are also painted Teal and unite the two walls.

I'll still play about with the accessories a bit over the next week or so.

So many of you will think it is miles too dark but honestly, it looks great. As I said, still need something like the buttercups for the glass jar.

GrannyLiv Sun 07-Jul-19 11:22:01

Lilac can look lovely against sage green. Accessorise with aubergine coloured kettle/toaster/teatowels etc

When you do make your decision,please come back and show us! smile

Grannyknot Sun 07-Jul-19 11:10:27

I really regretted painting a kitchen wall in a dark-ish colour when winter came. So I would vote for warm, bright colours all the way. I'd go for the lime green. It will go well with the rest of your palette smile.

Miep1 Sat 06-Jul-19 10:56:22

I'm with the pictures/posters/clock. The changing them would be easier when you get fed up!

pollynana Sat 06-Jul-19 10:09:13

Instead of painting the wall why don’t you use pictures and a big bold clock for the wall? You could have abstract pictures or pictures of stylised hens, cockerels, pigs, sheep or cattle. That could be your ‘pop’ of colour especially if you use all the colours you like. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Joyfulnanna Sat 06-Jul-19 10:09:00

Yes coolgran, aubergine would be nice in your kitchen

Shropshirelass Sat 06-Jul-19 09:03:01

My kitchen is light grey and I have added a splash of red with the accessories, this was I can change the theme without redecorating.

TwiceAsNice Sat 06-Jul-19 08:53:24

Fushia Pink ? Nice and bright and always goes well with green. Or I’m another fan for Teal. Hope you find something you like

Coolgran65 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:46:07

Yes, the right tones of aubergine could be nice. Just wondering about it being too dark what with the dark floor and dark worktops.

Baloothefitz Sat 06-Jul-19 02:57:42

I do love your kitchen units ,the colour & the style is timeless. I like one of the posters ideas about a nice aubergine. If you need some new tea coffee jars you could brighten things up too .Bit of a shame about the white dishwasher, but heyho,it's not the end of the world .

okimherenow Fri 05-Jul-19 23:03:55

I painted one wall in kitchen lime green and it was super .... BUT got fed up with it after a year or so and now all the walls are Elephant breath....(fancy name for pinky grey)

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Jul-19 23:02:29

It seems folks either like or really dislike my kitchen window and its busyness which is its very purpose. I should have dressed it nicely for the pic. Over the seasons it changes. Today the jugs are full of nasturtiums from the garden, A piece of Winston Churchill fuschia that got broken off a plant, various different hosta leaves, and some greenery off the bay tree.

moggie57 Fri 05-Jul-19 22:54:20

yellow ,as it will look like sunshine every morning........brightens things up.

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Jul-19 22:48:17

Yes, the floor is dark. We all use the back door, anyone who knows us. A knock at the front door is a stranger. The floor is really practical, also being quite recent and expensive it needs to stay.

My hope is to do a little painting and a few tweaks, nothing major.

Annofarabia Fri 05-Jul-19 20:47:25

My kitchen is similar. I bought some expensive wall tiles that are a greyish blue and cream randomly. I bought a teal blind and it looks really nice.

Joyfulnanna Fri 05-Jul-19 20:46:04

Coolgran, your floor is dark, it would look great in a lighter colour, then I would use lavender pop of colour which will go nicely with your worktops. Also would modernise the overall appearance which is, as you say too plain at the moment. On the white walls, put some small framed pics picking up the lavender and other colours in your kitchen to bring it all together. You could buy some small bright green foliage plants for the window cill for further contrast.

Tweedle24 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:08:40

I have turquoise in my kitchen, which has white units and black granite effect worktops. It looks pretty

NannyJennyto3 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:07:29

Duck egg blue and pale green are too bland. I would paint the radiator wall (including the radiator) a cranberry colour and put a large mirror with a white/cream surround above the radiator to reflect the light from the window. I too would get rid of the clutter around the window. Maybe have a narrow shelf above the radiator the same colour as the mirror surround.

coleen21 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:02:39

i would paint the back wall your very favorite color! even if it's black! just go for it. whatever makes you smile! have fun!

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Jul-19 18:24:15

callgirl1 I really like that yellow. It works well with the black and white.
Ours is brown and cream.... Don't want to start into painting cupboard doors though my friend has done it with great success.

However.... I had a look on line at paint colours, with my sis in law looking over my shoulder and..... this Crown duck egg blue caught my eye, and her eye, and my dh's eye smile

www.crownpaints.co.uk/products/standard-emulsion/matt/duck-egg/154

As mentioned my living room which can be seen from the kitchen and through the dining room is sage green and a very airy 'seaspray' . My cushions and curtain tie backs are a tartan that has a bit of blue.
I think this duck egg blue would look well in the kitchen and would allow the colour continuity flow through the dining room (also painted 'seaspray') and into the living room.

I feel a tester pot coming on.

My eyes have been opened in a good way to what some people are using as colour in their kitchen.

Thank you so much, love you all flowers

willa45 Fri 05-Jul-19 18:20:49

Correction: Not 'Avocado' .....I think I meant Sage green

willa45 Fri 05-Jul-19 18:16:33

If that were my kitchen, I wouldn't go with crayon colors because I find them too overpowering for such a small space.
Instead I would probably paint the walls a bold shade of Cinnamon( which is more like a dark dusty rose tempered with deep beige tones) to offset all the neutral cabinets, floors etc. Kitchen towels, pot holders etc. in avocado green /cinnamon prints will bring it all together. A well placed potted plant or two will add a splash of nature to an otherwise indoor space. Add some copper and/or brass accessories for richness and color.

callgirl1 Fri 05-Jul-19 17:29:47

These are the Happy Yellow results, but taken before it was quite finished, as the rear lobby has also been painted in Happy Yellow.