Gransnet forums

Chat

Ladies who lunch

(57 Posts)
MawBroonsback Tue 09-Jul-19 09:34:29

A friend has just sent this to me. Substitute a few names and it could be any of us.
This is for you ladies!!!

Lunch With Girlfriends
By Kathy O’Malley

Elaine’s vertigo has never been worse
Kay can’t recall where she left her purse
Rhonda’s about to replace her knees
Linda’s breathing is tinged with a wheeze

Donna's left boob has a troublesome lump
Diane’s on her third trip to take a dump
Lorraine’s husband can’t remember a thing
Nine years a widow, Marge still wears her ring

Marlene is dealing with another UTI
Sally’s giving a hearing aid another try
Marie has decided she can’t drive at night
Sharon still wears clothes two sizes too tight

They’ve been through divorces and babies and wakes
They do for each other whatever it takes
They’ve already buried Marcia and Kate
And truthfully, Lizzie’s not looking so great

So whenever they can, they get out to eat
Open bottles of wine and forget their sore feet
There’s laughing and crying and letting down guards
And when the bill comes, there’s ten credit cards

So here’s to the waiters who keep orders straight
And to the places that let lunches run three hours late
And here’s to the girlfriends, those near and those far
Here's to the girlfriends, you know who you are!!!

Liz46 Wed 10-Jul-19 06:45:38

There are seven of us who worked together over thirty years ago. We meet for lunch about every six weeks and can say almost anything to each other. There is kindness and support in the group. One or two have had serious illness and one is looking after an extremely ill mother at the moment. It can be serious but we enjoy a laugh too.

Willow500 Wed 10-Jul-19 05:39:01

Love it. I used to lunch with a group of friends years ago - one I'm still in contact with so will share it with her. Four of us GN's do get together monthly though which is good fun and we enjoy the chat - not done wine though (yet) grin

Gillybob I too wish we were closer!

Evie64 Tue 09-Jul-19 22:19:54

What an amazing poem! Have immediately emailed it to my girlfriend, Thank you so much for that grin

Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:03:35

message annabanana Tue 09-Jul-19 17:27:27

I do like to think we ALL bring something to the table annabanana

The more gregarious people really do appreciate the ‘listeners’ in my opinion and vice versa.

Quiet, thoughtful, gentle people ought absolutely to be as valued as noisy, confident chatterboxes!

trendygran Tue 09-Jul-19 19:50:23

Lovely. Widowed over 10 years ago and very grateful for good friends to meet and chat to over coffee,which often extends to lunch.I do still wear my wedding ring as I just feel strange without it.

Blinko Tue 09-Jul-19 19:13:34

My lunch friends loved it too. Except Liz is a bit concerned....

Thanks for posting, Maw.

kwest Tue 09-Jul-19 18:59:28

Perfect, this could have been written about me and my friends.

phoenix Tue 09-Jul-19 18:56:15

Maw thank you so much for posting that poem.

It raised a wry smile here, I'm a bit of a solitary bod, do have a couple of friends that I meet up with occasionally, but not together, iykwim.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 18:41:08

I don't have any friends to go out with either gillybob. I usually manage without, but it would be fun to go out with friends sometimes.
A couple of weeks ago was the funeral of one of my school friends. She was a lovely bubbly person, but succumbed to cervical cancer. I couldn't attend the funeral and still feel quite sad about it.

CanadianGran Tue 09-Jul-19 18:04:57

Thank you - what a nice poem; brought a lump to my throat.
I have a smaller group, and perhaps this might reflect us in a few years. We are all still working, healthy and no lost husbands, thank goodness.

I do think having a social group is healthy for our spirits!

crazyH Tue 09-Jul-19 17:47:07

Super duper poem....love it Maw ?

Day6 Tue 09-Jul-19 17:37:06

Thanks for that Maw. I have passed it on to my groups.

I have three groups of friends from various times and places in my life and we are all Grannies now. I think I have the most health worries - some of my friends are super-fit yoga, pilates, running, swimming women who play tennis. I am very much the odd one out in that respect grin (I am the losing specs/car keys one, always) but we all value each others company and even have short breaks away together.

Sadly, quite a few have lost their husbands now but whatever our circumstances we gain real support from each other when we meet up. WhatsApp also keeps us laughing and chatting.

annabanana Tue 09-Jul-19 17:27:27

Like MOnica I'm not good in groups but I have found that, although I am shy, inhibited and sometimes nervous in groups, listening and being pleased for others who have good news and commiserating with those with bad news, works for me. I react the way I would like others to react to me. I used to go out with five other 'bus buddies' but because some have moved jobs/houses this has stopped. I do see one woman from the group, another I met years ago and a colleague from work on a one to one basis. I would love to be part of a larger group again even if I am the quiet one.

gillybob Tue 09-Jul-19 17:13:17

Thank you whitewave that’s lovely x

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Jul-19 17:03:25

gilly you would be welcome to join us if you lived nearer?

I’m getting emails back from my lunch ladies and they are loving it.

gillybob Tue 09-Jul-19 16:51:02

I have always been a bit of an odd one out . Had my son at 18 when my friends were going clubbing I was alone at home unable to get a babysitter . It didn’t help that I have worked in an all male engineering environment since I can remember so no female colleagues either . Just one of those things . smile

gillybob Tue 09-Jul-19 16:48:35

Oh yes it makes me sad Urmstongran . It would be lovely to have some real friends to share special times with, or even just to chat over a coffee or glass of wine . Never mind .

Thank you overthehills . That was so kind . smile

sharon103 Tue 09-Jul-19 16:28:20

Love it Maw! smile

M0nica Tue 09-Jul-19 16:23:34

I must confess, I have never been a 'lady who lunches'. It always sounds a lovely concept - and this verse certainly makes it sound so, but, when in a group I always feel out on a limb and always feel happier just meeting one person at a time.

maddyone Tue 09-Jul-19 15:59:27

Love it smile

Justme67 Tue 09-Jul-19 15:50:15

It is a lovely poem and I found myself smiling so much as I read it through, remembering the lunches I have had with friends, some of whom I am no longer able to meet up with, but memories of all the things we laughed at, didn't cry but shared a sorrow, and felt so much better afterward. Friends are true gems to treasure.

Marieeliz Tue 09-Jul-19 15:11:13

Lunching Thursday with 4 ex colleagues from school will show them this.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Jul-19 14:48:58

What is really sad is that as the years go by the circle is getting smaller.

But what is really good is that we laugh a lot and support each other.

Swings and roundabouts

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Jul-19 14:47:22

maw I’ve whizzed it off to all my ladies who lunch. It is soooooo apt.

Thank you

Minniemoo Tue 09-Jul-19 14:32:45

This made me laugh. Especially as my real name was used in it. And yes ... I am always losing my purse ;-) I've been lunching with the same group of women for close on 30 years now. And it's bittersweet as a couple are ill, one has died and all the traumas that we go through on life's journey have been played out in front of us. Thanks for posting.