Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer?

(104 Posts)
MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 18:28:52

When is the summer coming to Northumberland?
I ask because we are sitting here watching the Hampton Court flower show in catch up. It is bathed in beautiful warm sunshine and everyone is wearing their summer dresses, shorts and Sun hats.
As I look out of my windows here its overcast, raining and cool, Alexa tells me it's 13°c yet in London she says it's 24°c.
Why do we never have two summers the same?
Sorry about the moan, I'm just fed up.

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 14:06:54

We get good days, we get bad days - it’s a British summer! What is everybody moaning about? (Apart from the shortage of water)
Last summer it was all “too hot” , “boring sunny” “phew, scorchio”, Saddkeworth Moor fires, and probably a nationwide shortage of Mini Magnums.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:24:54

Half of it's here amongst menacing clouds.I'm still dressed for winter though.

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 13:11:54

Well I’ve just spotted what I thought was a UFO in the sky over the NE coast ! I was scared at first but after asking Mr Google it turns out that’s it’s the sunshine who would have thought?

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 18:35:03

Yes very odd gilly

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 18:24:40

My poor plants are a bit battered too KatyK and it feels like a kind of mild November. Weird .

Grammaretto Sat 13-Jul-19 18:22:35

Yes we're having quite the heatwave this afternoon! Near Edinburgh. smile

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 18:22:26

We're back in Brum now after seven hot sunny days in Devon. Birmingham is dull and cloudy and our plants look as though they have been battered by a storm sad

SirChenjin Sat 13-Jul-19 18:16:02

Edinburgh here and the sky has turned a funny blue colour. It’s also got quite warm - any idea what’s going on? It’s very strange confused

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:47:01

I blame Brexit gillybob---for everything.hahahaha.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jul-19 17:42:25

It was very warm last night and warm again today. I just saw a large black cloud approaching but it's gone so it looks as if we need to water again.
17:40 and 23C.

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 17:23:11

We are down to 14 here too EllanVannin and I’ve just put a fluffy blanket over my feet . Might have to put the heating on for a bit later . It’s stopped raining (for now ) but it’s very grey and there’s definitely more to come . My late grandad would’ve blamed “Thatcher” for this grin

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:20:23

Mostly rain for all of next week ! It's soul destroying.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:18:11

You wouldn't believe it was the same country as Wimbledon !

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 17:17:04

It's so bloomin' cold here I've got a chunky jumper on and my feet are like two blocks of ice.
It's saying 18 degrees ( it never is ! ) down to 14.

gillybob Sat 13-Jul-19 16:14:05

Well it’s struggling to hit 16 degrees and it’s lashing down (again) here on the NE coast. It’s quite depressing when you only get 2 days off and you get rubbish weather .

Witzend Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:51

I was in France (Burgundy area) recently, and the weather went from seriously chilly on arrival - I was really glad I'd packed warm cardigans - to stinking hot - 38 deg + - within just a day or two.

It's always very changeable/unpredictable in that particular area, but this was something else.

SueDonim Fri 12-Jul-19 22:37:23

I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to hear that I was too hot today! grin I went out with my daughter to a small village in Perthshire and it was boiling there. I had to walk in the shade and of course have an ice cream to cool down.

Yesterday I drove through some of the heaviest rainfall I think I've ever experienced. The wipers couldn't keep up and at times I couldn't see the road. Yet a few miles away it was dry as a bone. It's all very annoying as I never know what to wear, bikini(!) or galoshes & sou'wester. wink

annep1 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:14:36

Pleasant day in Newcastle County Down, and quiet. Going for a walk to Murlough Bay (NT)
Its the Twelfth" day in Northern Ireland. Public holiday.

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jul-19 00:26:17

This afternoon watching the ferry come in from Scotland. Rather overcast but not enough drizzle to keep us from the pebble beach and the rock pools.

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:20:21

23:14 Thurs and 19° in Godalming. Weather for the week projected to be 24-26° but it feels very warm right now with windows wide open, fan whirring away and even the thin sheet covering me has been pushed right down.
A breeze would be very welcome ? ?

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Jul-19 22:51:18

Glad that, despite my gloomy predictions, Yorkshire weather came up trumps for you today minimoon. A good day for the show, warm enough to wear proper summer clothes but not so hot as to be uncomfortable, prefect!!

NanKate Thu 11-Jul-19 22:31:32

We live in the south east and get generally good summers however I often think I would like to holiday in the north so many interesting places to visit.

A few years back we had a lovely few days in York however one day we visited some WW2 Camp all decked out how they were in wartime, but I was so cold that day I vowed never to return and that was in May ? I think I must have become a southern softy.

moggie57 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:12:07

and when its a heatwave. we wish we were somewhere cooler.......dont stay indoors when its colder go find somewhere free to visit. plenty of places to see...

MissAdventure Thu 11-Jul-19 20:07:46

Its absolutely stifling here. sad

Lessismore Thu 11-Jul-19 20:06:55

nice to be near the sea.