Gransnet forums

Chat

When you a child, what things did your mother tell you that you've never been able to forget?

(120 Posts)
Chewbacca Sun 14-Jul-19 11:17:06

When I was a child my mother told me that "decent girls never wear shoes with ankle straps because they look like a prostitute". She also said that "decent girls never wear bright red shoes" (similar reason apparently) confused.

Now I'm in my mid sixties and I look back and realise that I have never owned a pair of ankle strapped shoes; nor red ones heaven forbid red ankle strapped shoes because I always have her strange logic still going on in the back of my mind.

Has anyone else found that their mother's ill judged or ridiculous advice has lasted a lifetime and stopped them from doing something perfectly acceptable?

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:23:52

Bohemian

I was told the apple pip one, I remember worrying about it.

Nortsat46 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:35:24

This is so funny, I can't stop laughing.
My mother taught me:
- don't wear a chain or pendant in bed, it will get tangled up in the sheets and choke you
- if you go out with wet hair you will get pneumonia
- if you swallow chewing gum, it will wrap around your insides and choke you
- elbows on the table is rude
- if you are not punctual to the table for meals, it's rude
-leaving the table without asking is rude
- if you don't iron all underwear, socks, towels, tea towels, duster and floorcloths, you've got no standards!
(It's a blessing she can't see me, now).

Chewbacca Sun 14-Jul-19 12:47:41

Piles seemed to have been a constant worry for several mothers! Apparently I'd get them if I sat on a doorstep or wall. hmm

And sitting too close to the TV screen would give you a squint.

I wonder what gems of advice we've passed on to our own children that they will remember well into their later years?

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:05:41

Yes,the apple pips and chewing gum. Going out with wet hair too.
Well aired clothes, mum was paranoid about that.
Nightmares if I ate cheese before bedtime. Never do !

Clothes down to the calf of the leg. Slips underneath dresses " to keep the cold out ". The more undergarments I wore the happier mum was !!

Sit properly or you'll get a hump on your back. That one scared me and to this day I've got a straight back.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:12:49

--" please may I leave the table " was a ritual. Mum taught that to my children too, as they now mainly sit with a tray on their laps.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 13:15:01

Thankfully I had a wonderful Mother who never handed out sartorial advice ( not that I would have heeded it anyway)?
Can’t think offhand about any other things that she said either, so it seems I am free of these hang ups.
Chewy go right out this minute and buy those red shoes
( I always have a pair of red shoes, although flats these days.)

BrandyButter Sun 14-Jul-19 13:15:36

To hide when gypsies came to the door selling lucky heather as they ran away with gringo children and they were never seen again. If I misbehaved the Insurance man who called weekly for their life insurance payment would take me away, I was terrified of the poor man shock

crazyH Sun 14-Jul-19 13:17:51

"Your eyes are bigger than your stomach"...I still fill my plate but never am I able to finish the lot. Very naughty.

travelsafar Sun 14-Jul-19 13:47:24

Never have a bath or wash your hair when you are having your period!!!!

Grannybags Sun 14-Jul-19 13:48:05

It's rude to point.

She meant rude to point at people but I always thought any form of pointing was rude and wouldn't even point while saying "it's over there"!

BBbevan Sun 14-Jul-19 13:59:43

My mother told me when I was about 15, never to show a man my shoulders. !!!!
I obviously have as I have been married for nearly 54 years. I supposed I could have worn a vest constantly. I often wonder what she actually meant

tanith Sun 14-Jul-19 14:01:23

My Dad told me only gypsies had pierced ears and gold hoops in their ears. I've never had my ears pierced ?

sassenach512 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:09:59

"Don't chatter when the grown ups are talking" it took me years to get over shyness in company and I'm convinced it stemmed from having to keep shtum while other people talked

shysal Sun 14-Jul-19 14:13:13

Many of the above ring true! I have deliberately ignored my mother's advice, so I never wear a vest, a corset or a pinny.
Maybe I should have heeded her warnings about getting piles, but I think childbirth had something to do with that!grin

Loislovesstewie Sun 14-Jul-19 14:15:08

I was told that my great grandmother burnt to death in a tragic accident. ( it was true by the way). I became very careful of standing too close to any naked flame.

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-19 14:20:18

Piles - you could get them from sitting on a hot radiator at school and from sitting on a cold doorstep at home.

Minniemoo Sun 14-Jul-19 14:22:08

It'll never get better if you pick it.

Daddima Sun 14-Jul-19 14:25:13

Very true.

Lessismore Sun 14-Jul-19 14:38:22

Eating outside was common, no walking around with a sausage roll. Nice Mums didn't wear trousers. Only poor people wore plimsolls, it's rude to say " ta". If you go in one shop don't mention the fact that you have been in others. If you fold your nightie and put it under your pillow it shows you have a tidy mind.

Do not , under any circumstances ever, ask an adult for anything eg if Auntie Jean comes don't say " Where's my present?"

fiorentina51 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:54:06

Travelsafar. I had the same advice from my mum! Plus if you did not heed said advice about bathing or washing your hair during your period....you would go mad or die....absolute fact....she knew women who had. ?
I'm still here, pretty sane too.

M0nica Sun 14-Jul-19 15:16:50

My mother never felt comfortable eating outside, unless she was sitting down. DGC still remember that when they went to stay with them, if they went down to the sea front to buy a Mr Whippy, they always had to sit on a bench or in the car to eat it.

Apart from that, she didn't really have any oft repeated phrases or shibboleths.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 16:20:50

There was a book at my grans, it was probably once my mother’s, and there was a long poem about a boy who turned into a croquet hoop because he wouldn’t eat rice pudding!
I was assured this was indeed true, and I believed it!

sodapop Sun 14-Jul-19 16:46:09

Most of these I remember from my childhood too.
Clean underwear - love the cartoon Daddima
Don't sit on cold stones in case you get piles
No bathing or hairwashing during menstruation
No shopping on Sundays or doing anything that remotely resembled fun apart from a walk.
Anything gynaecological was spoken about in hushed tones and referred to as 'down there'
So many restrictions and old wives tales. smile

Johno Sun 14-Jul-19 16:50:08

I was picked on at school as I was slim. I told my mum she said: "don't worry Thoroughbreds never get fat"!! I am a thoroughbred Dubliner.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 16:50:22

Oh yes, Sodapop, all of those, especially the knowing looks when discussing things “down below “