Gransnet forums

Chat

A really good deed!

(22 Posts)
Flossieturner Wed 17-Jul-19 09:28:33

I always get a good response when I offer things from the garden. My garden is tiny so I have to lift and divide my plants and it always a shame to have to get rid of healthy plants or pots and tubs
Gardeners seem to be such lovely people. I hear their life stories . I often have had offers to help by taking m stuff to the dump or doing garden jobs, one man brought me some of his home made elderberry wine and another Sloe Gin.

We have FreelyWheely as well as Freecycle here

Nonnie Tue 16-Jul-19 15:23:02

We mainly give away electrical or plants, everything else goes to the charity shop. I often see things on Freegle that a charity could make money from and wonder why. Of course some people may be housebound.

Lilyflower Tue 16-Jul-19 15:22:37

I use Freecycle both to give away and receive! I had a party which needed a fridge and collected one from someone who was desperate to have the space in his garage. I spent a goodly amount of time cleaning it and, when I had used it, gave it away to a young couple who couldn't afford a new one.

I never throw things now which can be used.

Due to this thread I have joined Streetbank which also looks very handy for things you don't want to throw but which could be lent to others.

Davida1968 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:12:22

I agree fully with GreenGran78. Our local Freegle was a Godsend when we "de-cluttered" before moving house. Mostly we have given away stuff, and rarely has an item gone un-asked for, even the most mundane of things, such as half-bottles of almost anything!

GreenGran78 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:23:00

Freecycle is excellent, but you have to watch out for the ‘professional askers’. Some people are always among the first to want what you are offering - whatever it is. Others are far too choosy, and obviously not in desperate need, specifying in minute detail what they want.
On the other hand, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Out of curiosity I offered a strip of 2 x 1/2 a metre leftover vinyl flooring which I had been going to bin. It was snapped up by a man who used it to line the shelves in his narrow boat.

When thinning out overcrowded plants I find that people are very pleased to have some for their gardens, I recently gave away quite a lot of lilies which were very well received by various people. They would have cost at least £5 each in the garden centre, and I hate ‘murdering’ perfectly good plants by throwing them in the compost bin.

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Jul-19 12:07:25

At the risk of this becoming a freecycle chat, I did wish more people would consider it. An "older lady" we know has just had a skip removed bursting with recyclable things. Unfortunately we didn't know she was doing this or could have freecycled it for her - old vacuum cleaner, sink and drainer, surplus carpet and old shelves angry such a waste.

Jan51 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:53:53

We have 2 local facebook groups, one for the local area and one for our estate. Neither site allows selling. All sorts of problems get solved. The other day a neighbour asked if anyone could print an event ticket for her for that evening,as they would not accept the ticket on her phone, 5 minutes later several offers.
People offer all sorts of things for freecycling before they consider the dump, or people ask for things or services they need.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:42:41

That's lovely to hear.

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:41:07

I have 4 Official BBC cricket commentary tapes from the old days at Lords with John Arlott.
I bought them second hand for an old friend who loved cricket but was terminally ill and unable to watch tv or go out.
He died the day after I bought them and before I was able to gift them. ?
I might put them on Freecycle if I can't sell them on eBay.

Minerva Tue 16-Jul-19 11:38:56

I find Streetbank lovely. You can ask to borrow things and are expected to have at least one think that others can borrow, in my case it’s my stepladders. I posted to ask if I could borrow a hammer drill and a lovely chap rang, came round with his drill and did the whole job for me. It’s my go to place when I have something to give away and if no-one bites I move on to Freecycle or a sticker saying ‘take me’ and leave it by my garden gate.

Nonnie Tue 16-Jul-19 11:36:18

I use Freecycle/Freegle all the time but never give to the first person to offer because I think the only people with time to constantly watch are dealers. I wait and then choose the politest person. Just gave away a steam generator iron and then wrote to all the unsuccessful people who all sent nice thanks for letting them know. Lovely

I thought buddleia should be pruned in the spring?

inishowen Tue 16-Jul-19 11:28:27

Tigertooth a similar good deed happened to me yesterday. I had a hospital appointment and didn't know where to go. The receptionist was on the phone so I asked a passing nurse. She said "I'll take you, it's easier than explaining". So kind of her. I'm not a little old lady by the way!

Tigertooth Tue 16-Jul-19 10:37:50

Not freecycle but I went to the John Lewis sales and bought some roller blinds and a few other bits - awkward to carry. Was struggling down Harley street when a girl of about 20 stopped and offered to help, I said I was fine (I clearly wasn’t ) but she insisted and walked back the way she’d come with me all the way to my car carrying half my stuff just because “I’m not in hurry and you need a hand”
It made me so happy that strangers can still be so nice, esp in London.

Auntieflo Mon 15-Jul-19 21:54:45

I have used Freecycle in the past, but it changed and became something like Next Door?
I do remember answering a request for a few paving slabs, and the lovely lady who collected them, brought me some courgettes and carrots from her allotment.

Grammaretto Mon 15-Jul-19 20:47:07

I used to use freecycle a lot but then the admin told us we were too far from the city for people to travel so we should use a local one which only had about 10 people in it. Really? We were commuting anyway.
Now I use Gumtree. They have a free section too.

Ngaio1 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:44:14

Midgey - I hadn't thought of that! I have some rooting powder so may give it a whirl. The blossom on the tree was a very dark purple - most attractive.

Glammy57 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:40:28

I, too, like Freecycle. We have offered a leather couch and footstool, a dishwasher, a double bed with a solid wood headboard. All were in perfect condition and were gratefully received. It’s a nice way to meet people!

annep1 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:31:04

I like freecycle too. For offering and taking. I got a great French course recently with cds. Its good to feel you are helping. And recycling is a great idea. So much waste nowadays.

midgey Mon 15-Jul-19 20:27:29

They might even root!

CanadianGran Mon 15-Jul-19 20:09:29

I always forget about freecycle. Its such a good concept. Good for you for using it, and hats off to the fellow that came to assist!

annep1 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:45:45

What a lovely person Ngaio1 . We should all strive to be like that. Good idea too.

Ngaio1 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:14:34

Today, I was really cheered up by an answer to a request I had placed on Freecycle. I mentioned that I had miscalculated the number of sticks I would need for my tomato plants and enquired if anyone could help.

I received a reply from a dear chap who said that he was going to trim his Buddleia and would I like the branches. I have just collected them and they are ideal! He has even taken off the leaves. So grateful to him. Also, another way we can use what is in our gardens instead of buying more.