Gransnet forums

Chat

Have I been a complete arse?

(18 Posts)
M0nica Fri 19-Jul-19 12:39:05

I hate the sign with a finger things, following carpal tunnel surgery the tips of three of my fingers on my right hand have little or no feeling in them. I am thinking of keeping a pointer by the front door for signing purposes.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jul-19 12:30:38

I don't think they care as long as they get some sort of mark to denote the goods have been received, it's not as if the signature on the machine with the pen thingy is ever remotely legible, well not in my case.

moggie57 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:29:11

i use my finger nail.

MollyPolly60 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:20:48

Great thanks. Got another delivery today and used my finger confidently! Don’t know why he looked at me strangely, I’m at the very invisible age!!

Eloethan Thu 18-Jul-19 12:13:10

I never know how to sign these screens. Whatever I do, it never looks anything like my signature so don't feel embarrassed about it - I'm sure many people are perplexed by it.

Willow10 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:07:39

These things are ridiculous and the signature is illegible anyway. I just do a smiley face and it always makes the postman laugh. He said it's not as if anyone ever checks anyway!

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:02:12

Unless there is a stylus attached to the machine, use your finger, not your fingernail which would not make an impression on the screen.

Baggs Thu 18-Jul-19 11:00:18

Delivery drivers here go by lamp-post numbers cos many houses don't have a number.

mollypolly, if the driver wanted you to sign with a pen thingy he would have handed you one. Perhaps he just has a strange look what-or whoever he's looking at. ?

annodomini Thu 18-Jul-19 10:55:57

I used to represent a council ward with the most confusing street numbering. Posties have been known to be lost for weeks down there. Following the electoral register was hard enough.

GillT57 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:41:22

Gramaretto same here in our road, I do feel sorry for delivery drivers as the numbers are in two loops so no 81 can be opposite no 46. Our local Amazon man knows the system, but it can be difficult for relief posties!

MiniMoon Thu 18-Jul-19 09:47:39

I usually sign with my finger, none of the couriers have ever looked strangely at me. I don't even think to look for the little stylus. Most of them don't have one anyway.

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 08:34:05

No BradfordLass Amazon UK don't do free deliveries to France. Amazon France do free deliveries but do not carry the same range of goods.

Grammaretto Thu 18-Jul-19 07:05:24

Off topic but Amazon sent a complaint about our house to my sister who'd sent us a parcel! She was told to give proper delivery instructions.
Apparently we are too hard to find. The delivery man was quite cross when he finally found us! I tried to make light of it but he grumbled that he'd had to walk and our street numbers aren't in the right order. True. Google maps wouldn't help either as the sat nav takes you to another place altogether.
Poor chap.

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:28:19

Does Amazon do free postage world-wide like Book Depository does?

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:22:08

We take deliveries at work all day, mostly you sign with your finger, maybe he looked at you strangely because you were so excited to receive a parcel from Amazon

stella1949 Thu 18-Jul-19 02:49:26

Either is fine - think nothing of it.

Purpletinofpaint Thu 18-Jul-19 02:10:27

There is a little pen thingy but I've signed many times with a fingertip & no-ones batted an eyelid. Think no more of it.

MollyPolly60 Thu 18-Jul-19 01:37:08

Lived abroad for many years and got my first Amazon delivery in the UK today after moving back home. I was so excited! The man asked me for a signature on his screen thingy and I did it with my fingernail. He looked at me strangely and afterwards I wondered - is there a pen thing to do it with or was I right to scratch my signature with my fingernail? I feel a bit embarrassed now.