Gransnet forums

Chat

Complaining

(60 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 10:31:08

Are you one of lifes complainers?

Do you get satisfaction from righting wrongs, and extracting apologies from companies, banks, and my own personal favourite; The Council?

gillybob Fri 19-Jul-19 12:04:03

I complained to Yorkshire Tea that my entire box of tea bags were “unstuck” and the tea was loose . They asked for photos and serial numbers etc. I was given a long explanation about new glueing methods and for my trouble I was sent an exact like for like replacement . Not exactly generous.

M0nica Fri 19-Jul-19 12:12:58

Yes, as you might imagine, I do complain. I am invariably polite and never lose my temper, but my voice can get steely and I am persistent. so I usually succeed in the end because the company just want to get shot of me.

I am currently fighting the gas distribution company for the cost of repairs to my CH boiler from when water got in the mains last year. They are arguing that evidence that water got into the boiler is not evidence it affected the fan hmm

SaraC Fri 19-Jul-19 12:22:44

I ‘give feedback’ rather than complain. Hopefully balanced and definitely don’t ‘shoot the messenger’ if it’s an item or service that’s faulty. Courtesy costs nothing and I’ve found most folk very obliging and helpful if approached politely. If, though, someone is rude or dismissive then that in itself is an issue I am prepared to be rather more forthright about as it is unnecessary and unhelpful in solving a problem which needs resolution.

janeayressister Fri 19-Jul-19 12:33:17

I had a phone call one day when home alone. It was from a man with a Scots accent who asked for me by name and tried to tell me that my windows could be coated with a substance, that would mean I would never ever have to clean them ever again. When I laughed hysterically, he slammed the phone down on me.
He had introduced himself as Brian and he was a Scot that was all I knew.. I was so incensed by his behaviour ( and I hate cold callers) that I googled and found a company who offered something similar. They said it was no one that they employed, but they knew a call centre that had been offering erroneous guarantees. They gave me the number.
I rang and asked for Brian, a Scot and said I was on the cusp of buying their product, but we had been cut off.

On the phone comes Brian and I said “ this is the woman you just put the phone down on “ boy was he surprised and extremely apologetic. I said you didn’t know who you were talking to, did you. ?
It was sooo satisfying as I spoke to his manager later who said he would sack him....I said “ no” let’s hope he had learnt his lesson.
I always complain if the service is bad and have had great success....but in the case that I related, It was just luck.

JackyB Fri 19-Jul-19 12:58:50

I'm afraid I usually just shrug things off and never really complain. However, I have pointed out things that didn't seem right, occasionally, and often when I was so glaringly obviously in the right, I have been compensated.

There is a custom here in Germany on St Martin's day. They have a parade and re-enact the story of St Martin sharing his cape and then little cakes (something like gingerbread men, but without the ginger) are distributed to all the children present. When mine were small, they had to go up to a stall and were handed their "Weckmännl" as they are called, but there were bigger children barging in and collecting huge numbers and hiding them in their jackets and up their jumpers.

The following year I wrote to the local newspaper, saying how I wasn't looking forward to the event, in the name of my children and describing what happens.

That year, after the parade, local dignitaries went around with trays, handing out the cakes, making sure that each child got their fair share.

Result!

I also wrote to a large chemist shop, pointing out that selling nappies and baby food on the first floor, with no lift, made life very difficult for young mothers with small children and prams.

Not long after, the nappies and baby food had been moved downstairs!

Sara65 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:17:13

Ladies

I’m delighted to hear you all give praise where it’s due, trust me, it’s wonderful to have good feedback, everyone likes to feel appreciated

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 15:18:24

Yes, I always give praise where it's due.
Only a few weeks ago I rendered the man on the HMRC helpline speechless due to my pointing out how helpful and polite he was. smile

Currently though, I am mid dispute with royal mail about a gone adrift parcel.

Newatthis Fri 19-Jul-19 15:53:35

I make a lot of trips to the US to see my daughter and the service there is excellent. I have come to realise that they are very good at not accepting what is not right. They are so proficient at it and always do it politely, with a smile and hey presto - they get results. (in my observational experience that is!)

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Jul-19 16:18:19

Having a disabled daughter I am well use to doing battles and say with pride I have always won. As for complaints well I do when needed. The latest was with Waitrose, a simple but mean problem. They give you two very small portions or wrapped butter with a teacake. I want three at lest and they wanted to charge me 10p a portion. I just saw red and refused outright, cancelled my order and told them I was going to Sainsbury. A silly thing and a 1st world problem but not to me. Must say it has all now been resolved and should any of you encounter the same problem stand firm and use to pay.

KatyK Fri 19-Jul-19 16:38:20

I give praise where due, as well as complaining. Anyone remember the days when, if you complained about products, you were given a lovely parcel of stuff? For instance, in the earl '60s my sisters found a dead wasp in a chocolate. We returned it to the manufacturers and received a big box of sweets and chocolates. Heaven for us.

Grammaretto Fri 19-Jul-19 16:56:24

I love reading these success stories!
I rarely complain but when I am truly incensed I can be fierce hysterical
I was extremely angry and ashamed recently when our American Helpx was detained and interrogated by border force at the airport for 7 hours and refused entry although she had enough money to keep herself for several months and a return ticket.
Eventually, after much pleading, she was released for 2 nights in to our care on condition we returned her to the airport to retrieve her passport and to get the flight back to the States.
I called our MP, who called the Home Office. I called the American consul too but to no avail as the rules have been tightened and you have to have a special work visa now and be under 25 - all kinds of expensive obstacles.
I am so dreading Brexit if travelling will be this hard.
She was traumatised by the experience. She was even told she was keeping locals out of a job by volunteering!
I was asked why I don't have local people. The concept of cultural exchange or hospitality seemed an alien concept.
I am still upset and don't know how to remedy this. I have flagged it on the website but we have been hosting people from all over the world for 50 years and never met anything like this.

NanaandGrampy Fri 19-Jul-19 17:24:06

Yes I am. And I make no apologies for it.

I expect to receive what I've paid for, the service that was stated or the goods /service/ product to be as described. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Having said that , I am unfailingly polite without being apologetic and I complain 'gently' . I find you get a better response to honey than vinegar. Equally, I know my rights, I do my research before hand so in some circumstances I know more than the person I'm complaining to.

I try never to complain to the 'wrong' person, I want someone who can action my complaint and resolve it.

Equally, I praise where praise is due and I make sure that is escalated up the chain too.

Aepgirl Fri 19-Jul-19 19:21:32

I’m a great one for writing letters of complaint, and usually get the response I want. However I do object when friends ask me to complain on their behalf.

sodapop Fri 19-Jul-19 19:43:48

Like N&G I expect services and goods to be up to the required standard and I will make sure the relevant people are made aware if they are not.
By the same token I always ensure that I pass on positive comments as well.

langelei Fri 19-Jul-19 20:22:08

Sometimes you simply have to stand up to be counted. My husband is in hospital with and recovering from pneumonia at the moment and the ward he is now in has in many aspects let him down for the last week. On Wednesday I had had enough and wrote a stinging review on the hospital website. Today on returning home received home a response to my email address full of concerns and inviting me to assist with redressing the situation. Seems we are getting there after battle !angry

grannybuy Fri 19-Jul-19 20:42:07

Last year, I read in our local newspaper that the council (already very cash strapped) were finding that posting free food recycling bags to people was costing them a lot of money. These bags, at that time, could be picked up at local libraries. I thought that surely increasing the pick up points was a very obvious solution. They could be at any number of outlets such as surgeries, community centres, town halls etc. I contacted them with my suggestions, and received a reply, thanking me, and adding that my suggestions would be considered. Very recently, I read in same newspaper that there were to be new pick up points for said bags. It only took about a year! It wasn't rocket science!

Grammaretto Fri 19-Jul-19 21:56:03

There's a local facebook forum in our town which is full of people whining and complaining.
You rarely read anything positive although the town is as pleasant a place to live as any .
When you suggest that the whingers should take their complaints to someone who could do something, they go quiet!
One Councillor is on the forum and sometimes replies. From potholes to parking fines. Empty shops and dog dirt. Fly tipping and intruders. All the usual!

GreenGran78 Fri 19-Jul-19 22:06:34

Grannybuy. We originally used to have to collect our bags from various point, then they changed the system. Now, when we get near the end of a roll we simply tie a bag to the bin handle, when it is due to be emptied. The binmen have a supply in the truck, and simply pop a new roll on top of the bin for us. It ‘cuts out the middleman.’

grannybuy Fri 19-Jul-19 23:17:36

Green gran, that's how it worked under the last local authority we lived within. Our current council don't seem to be able to think outside the box!

Rich1e Fri 19-Jul-19 23:18:35

Many years ago, a firm selling Yorkshire puddings said I'd it's not as good as your own,we'll give you your money back' I wrote to say it's not as good as my own - it's better! I had my money back plus extra vouchers and a letter thanking me, plus a 'well done but don't use it again'. Well worth a stamp!

grannyactivist Fri 19-Jul-19 23:39:51

I'm not really so much a complainer as an assertive woman. If something is not right then I point it out, but on the basis that more flies are caught with honey than vinegar I try to aim for a 'win/win' outcome. If diplomacy fails then I do complain, but like others on here, I also dish out praise when someone deserves it.

Minniemoo Fri 19-Jul-19 23:46:28

Very rarely complain. I just can't be bothered. In fact I am trying to think of a time I have complained and I can't recall any. I guess I am too lazy.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 23:51:52

I do find some of my complaints lose momentum after a while..
It's a struggle to keep some of them going to the bitter end!

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Jul-19 23:59:24

The world has changed in the past 50 years Grammaretto as I'm sure you know and rules and regulations change almost yearly due to economics and safety.
At one time in the late 1990s >> the IoM government would only allow workers from the UK mainland (or elsewhere) if government were assured and checked that there was no-one listed as unemployed on the island who could (not would) fill the position.
I know because I worked there.
Of course, it may have been the rule for many years both before I worked there and after I left.
As my dad used to say 'All good things come to an end'.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 11:02:46

I know Gabriella, but it doesn't stop me feeling sad and wishing I could prevent the stupid rules when they help nobody.
I was told by the American consul that it can be even worse for UK citizens trying to go to the States. So what! That didn't please me either.
Some of the cultural organisations date from after the 2nd world war when the UN was starting up and encouraging friendship between nations. What happened there!
servas.org/