Words from a past generation

(164 Posts)
NanKate Thu 18-Jul-19 10:51:04

I often find I use words not used be today's youngsters such as,

Super
Gosh
Okey Dokey
Budge up

What words do you use that are no longer in fashion ?

Foxglove77 Thu 18-Jul-19 13:50:35

When I asked my Mum to play when I was little, she would say "I can't I've got a bone in my leg!". My Nan always used to say "Up the wooden hill" when we went upstairs to bed.

matson Thu 18-Jul-19 15:17:11

Gordon Bennett
Groovy
Fab

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 15:35:19

Blimey O'Riley
Flippin 'eck
I still go 'to the pictures' too
I 'tape' a TV programme

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 15:36:54

Sorry Bella I missed your Blimey O'Riley.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:51:09

Swot
Snog
Smooch
Close dance
Cripes
Kirk
Wireless
Jumper (as opposed to sweater)
Anorak
Bonnet
Bonkers

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:51:52

Foxglove

My granny used to say she had a bone in her leg too

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:53:49

Feelingmyage

Bonnet is a lovely word, so are jumper and frock

Lessismore Thu 18-Jul-19 16:26:44

Jumper/jersey/" Change the record"

Various assorted proverbs and similes.

Nannyxthree Thu 18-Jul-19 17:00:27

I also call the TV 'the box' and the local paper as 'the rag'.
Then there is 'Tat tar for now' and 'Tatty bye' (Ken Dodd?)
'Filthy Luker' for money. No doubt lots more as I often get strange looks!

naughtynanny2 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:13:53

Jeepers

NannyJan53 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:17:00

KatyK my partner always says he is going to 'tape' a programme! I say it is digital, no tape involved smile

I say

Tarrah
Blimey
Gordon Bennett
Flippin eck

TwiceAsNice Thu 18-Jul-19 17:22:29

I always say I’m pootling off when I leave my daughters after a visit.

CanadianGran Thu 18-Jul-19 17:29:29

Perhaps this is a farming reference:
"I'm going to go strap on the feed bag" meaning go to lunch.

Also chesterfield - usually couch or sofa now.
Chest of drawers - now called dresser

callgirl1 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:30:16

I have acouple of old Sunday school prize books that 2 elderly aunts gave me years ago, they date from 1911. In one, someone says "Oh Wilfred, you are a brick!" Meaning of course that they were pleased with what he`d done, but how many of today`s youngsters would know the expression?

BBbevan Thu 18-Jul-19 18:16:21

Hold your horses
God love old Ireland.
The flicks ( cinema)
Pint of milk
Weight in lbs and ounces

Jane10 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:32:29

Bob's your uncle (Fanny's your aunt and your granny's in the RAF!)

lemongrove Thu 18-Jul-19 18:52:55

Couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding
Humdinger ( as in...that’s a humdinger!)

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:20:25

My daughter and some of the neighbouring children were mad on the Famous Five and picked up all sorts of odd words, I can still hear my daughter yelling at her friend, For goodness sake, use your loaf boy!

Grandma70s Thu 18-Jul-19 20:08:40

I certainly still say gosh and blimey/crikey. I didn’t know jumper was old fashioned. I’ve heard young people say it. I wouldn’t dream of saying sweater, such an ugly word.

Loo? That’s still in general use as far as I’m concerned. What’s the modern version? Toilet is just for shops and stations.

I still say bloke. I think I know it’s old-fashioned, but I can’t think of a modern equivalent unless it’s guy, and I don’t use Americanisms.

Littleannie Thu 18-Jul-19 20:19:47

Baths instead of swimming pool. An elderly neighbour asked me one day if I still went to the baths for a swim. In the days when you could go there for a bath if you didn't have a bathroom. My dad told me he could remember going, but there were no plugs, and you had to jam your heel over the plug hole.

Chewbacca Thu 18-Jul-19 20:21:34

I've recently moved house and I've acquired a cupboard under the stairs which, when I was a child, was always known as "The Glory Hole". A couple of days after moving into my new house, I asked my DS to put the vacuum cleaner in the glory hole. He stopped dead in his tracks and asked me to repeat what I'd said, with a look of this shock on his face. Then he explained, in a rather embarrassed way, that "the glory hole isn't what you think it is these days Mum". I couldn't get him to explain any further but apparently, I'm not to say it in public! grin

notnecessarilywiser Thu 18-Jul-19 20:22:53

Grandma70s - if not a bloke, what about a "chap"? Not that it's at all modern, but my GSs understand quite a lot of their Grannie's vocabulary these days. (Not the whole kit and kaboodle, though!)

Grandma70s Thu 18-Jul-19 20:34:59

I wondered whether to mention chap. My father used to refer jokingly to chaps and chapesses.

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 20:51:57

I've learned something new then Chewbacca that's how I refer to the cupboard under the stairs, better keep quiet now.grin

Will you frame -meaning will you do it properly
Jolly hockey sticks - from my comics and books
I'll go to the foot of our stairs - indicates surprise

Grannybags Thu 18-Jul-19 21:01:48

Gordon Bennett
We still tape things too Nannyjan
I still do the Hoovering, even though I haven't owned a Hoover for years (Dyson, Shark etc)