Words from a past generation

(164 Posts)
NanKate Thu 18-Jul-19 10:51:04

I often find I use words not used be today's youngsters such as,

Super
Gosh
Okey Dokey
Budge up

What words do you use that are no longer in fashion ?

lemongrove Fri 19-Jul-19 19:29:42

With our generation gone, nobody will say these things, what a shame as there are some good ones.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 19:31:28

Oh good!
I don't like to think of lovely words disappearing slowly out of use (or usage, maybe?)

Urmstongran Fri 19-Jul-19 19:35:19

I do too Miss A it’s a lovely word isn’t it?

My uncle, in Oldham, describing the small children playing opposite his house called them ‘nippers’ yesterday. Ages since I’d heard that word and delighted in hearing it used.

My mum, describing a bling bracelet would say they were her ‘everyday diamonds’.
❤️

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 19:39:40

Yes, it's quite cheery sounding.

Just remembered a lady serving in a charity shop called me "Me Old Cockalorah", at least I think that's what it was.
Cheered me up for days!

Heket Fri 19-Jul-19 20:03:30

When someone (often male) asks where something is, instead of saying “in the obvious place “ or “go look for it yourself “ I still say “It’s up in Nanny’s room, behind the clock ? “...

Overthehills Fri 19-Jul-19 21:29:13

Oh my giddy aunt - DD and DGD say it as well.
Hot press (airing cupboard).
Okey dokey.
Blimey O’Reilly.
Frock.
“Little maids” is a lovely expression Sara.

arosebyanyothername Fri 19-Jul-19 22:18:35

Gordon Bennett!!
Jesus wept!!

tinaf1 Fri 19-Jul-19 22:31:44

I still call radio the wireless

OPgrndtr Fri 19-Jul-19 23:48:21

Perhaps.

mauraB Sat 20-Jul-19 00:13:51

I say Railway Station not Train Station.
I also tell my GC to stay on the footpath and not to wander into the horse road.
I grew up in Birmingham, not the countryside!

LightAmber Sat 20-Jul-19 08:45:48

it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick (for something which is ok)
Toodle-oo
Grubby (for dirty)
Cheerio
I'll give you a tinkle
A blind man on a dark night would agree you look ok (meow!!)
Crikey
Gordon Bennett
The whole shebang
Shenanigans
Malarkey

My favourite is doohickey for the increasingly frequent times that I forget the exact word for whatever I'm talking about. blush

wildswan16 Sat 20-Jul-19 08:55:51

Lots of people are mentioning "frock". I always wear a dress but put on my posh "frock" when going out.

My mother used to wear "slacks".
My father used to wear a "windcheater".
We don't seem to have "anoraks" any more either.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 20-Jul-19 09:00:25

Not a word, but a pronunciation - we always used to say 'forrid' but nowadays youngsters say 'fore-head' (four-hedd) and I was actually laughed at for saying it the old way. I think it's an American or Australian influence.

Sara65 Sat 20-Jul-19 09:07:17

Windcheater reminded me of jerkin, some sort of light weight jacket as I recall

Witzend Sat 20-Jul-19 10:24:08

Fab

Funny how language changes. A granny would say, 'Oh, I was vexed!' and refer to someone being 'stout'.

The other granny often said 'presently' as in 'soon'.

You so rarely hear any of those now, though I've heard 'vexed' used by relatively young people in the Caribbean.

Witzend Sat 20-Jul-19 10:30:57

'Ragamuffin' is a lovely old word you don't hear any more.
Ditto 'scallywag'. Though I know there are 'scallies' in the Merseyside area, at least I think so..
Oh, and 'floozie'!

There should IMO be a society for the preservation of lovely old words!
I also love 'ugsome' (ugly) as quoted by Bill Bryson in his book Mother Tongue, though that died out long ago.

JohnD Sat 20-Jul-19 10:40:27

how about 'thank you', 'please', 'excuse me'.

sazz1 Sat 20-Jul-19 11:57:24

Reminds me of a small child in my daughter's class who couldn't understand what her mum meant by Raining Cats and Dogs. Asked my daughter, who was teaching, if the cats n dogs would be ok falling in the rain lol

HazelG Sat 20-Jul-19 17:25:34

I have a habit of saying, "Boolin' in," I don't even know if I spelt that right. My youngest AS and his wife think it's hilarious and whenever I am retelling a tale of, intervention, they always ask if I went, boolin' in. Plus I say things like, "Wow!! He must have arms like Garth," again to the great amusement of my AC, their partners and my adult nieces.

tiggers Sat 20-Jul-19 20:13:48

Fripperies.

Bubbe Sat 20-Jul-19 20:38:39

Brolly

My very elderly mother talks about a person being pathetic. What she actually means is that she feels sorry for their misfortunes or poor health. I have tried to explain that nowadays this is a hurtful term.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jul-19 20:55:59

Rollers and curlers, I suppose, will disappear.

Lessismore Sat 20-Jul-19 21:21:14

Carnos

crazyH Sat 20-Jul-19 21:26:00

Cheerio

fairisle Sat 20-Jul-19 22:15:36

I still say" Man", (i e "oh no! i`ve left my shopping list at home man!)