Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating on Trains

(166 Posts)
Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 11:11:43

Oops I think I may have posted this before , but here I am again sitting by someone who has first eaten very smelly cold meat and is now onto loudly crunching crisps . Think there is such a thing as being phobic about eating noises!!

Iam64 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:07:07

I can accept that people on a long train journey may need to eat, they may bring their own food which may be more 'interesting' than a cheese sandwich.
I went to a showing of the Book of Mormon recently and enjoyed it very much, hilarious (but not for everyone). I was rather shocked by the number of folks who were eating and drinking noisily throughout the performance. The drinking contributed to the number of men (yes it was men) going off to the toilets any time during the performance. Having said this, the audience had a brilliant time so I'm likely to be falling into grumbling grannie mode, so I'll stop!

Atqui Wed 24-Jul-19 15:50:14

I’m not saying people shouldn’t eat on trains . Obviously on a long journey people need to. But it’s the smelly stuff at 10.30 am that gets me! I agree I am over sensitive about crisp crunching. Somehow eating in a restaurant is different
This is what I posted on page 1 or 2. I was just curious to know if anyone else found the smell and the noise annoying.As for restaurants- isn’t it a matter of context?

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 12:17:46

I agree trisher one cannot and should not cherry pick which laws or rules to obey.
I would never get behind the wheel of a car if I had not had enough sleep and if I felt even a wee bit tired I would pull into a safe place and stretch my legs, so to speak.
On the other hand, there are many many more people who get behind the wheel knowing full well that they've had more than the one drink. Deliberately using a mobile phone when driving or eating/drinking at the wheel.
Deliberately failing to tax and insure their vehicle and even driving with no valid licence.
I don't know why you are taxing me on this subject. Possibly because of your previous accident but that's nothing to do with me. I've never been involved in an accident in 49 years of driving.
Anyway...I think that's enough hijacking of the original thread and I do note your concerns but I know my limits and my life is of paramount importance to me. I would do nothing to compromise that.
Enjoy the rest of your day. smile

trisher Wed 24-Jul-19 11:26:37

Safe driving has always been a concern of mine since an accident in my teens which if it happened in today's cars would almost certainly have caused serious injury and possibly death. Thank goodness for the tank-built Fords of the fifties! It always amazes me how some people will pick and choose which regulations they will abide by for the simple reason that they don't think the one they dislike should apply to them and it is someone else's fault. Drinking and driving is a problem but so is falling asleep at the wheel on motorways. It's very wrong to condemn one and accept the other.

Katek Wed 24-Jul-19 11:03:40

I don’t mind the eating so much as the alcohol, or rather the effects of the alcohol! Last time I went to visit ds and family by train there was a party of middle aged women obviously off on a day out. They had bottles of Prosecco and wine, little cans of ready mixed drinks and enough food to feed the entire carriage. They got progressively louder and louder then one produced a little Bluetooth speaker and started to play music from her phone! I moved carriages as I didn’t feel I would have received a friendly response had I said anything. What happened to considering other people I ask?

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:31:26

I could but wouldn't.
One family were jailed for over ten years for fraud and embezzlement. Tens of millions. ???

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:24:54

trisher
Yes...I take on board your concerns but I was talking about my own leisure driving, not rules adhered to when employed to do so. Even then, you've no idea how many ask you to flout rules. hmm
Most of the guidelines you mention are aimed at commercial vehicle drivers and there was no need to enumerate them as if I wasn't aware of their existence. I am fully compos mentis and hope that you are as
much of a stickler about the driving habits of your own family, driving to pub...speeding etc.
I've had only one ticket and that was overstaying in a Liverpool multi-storey CP which was rescinded on appeal.

annep1 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:18:46

I still think a break is a good idea but what an interesting time you've had GabriellaG54. I'm sure you could tell some stories.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:13:35

If you only knew the half of it Nannylovesshopping winkgrin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 24-Jul-19 10:06:24

Crikey GabriellaG54 you should write a book with all you’ve done throughout your life, should be a bestsellerwink

trisher Wed 24-Jul-19 09:55:21

As a professional driver GabriellaG54 I would have imagined you would be well versed in the legal limits on driving and the very real accident and injury figures behind those limits. Perhaps you were breaking those limits. If you are or were driving for 6 hours you certainly were
Breaks and continuous driving
After 5 hours 30 minutes of driving you must take a break of at least 30 minutes for rest and refreshment.

Or, within any period of 8 hours 30 minutes, you must take at least 45 minutes in breaks. You must also have a break of at least 30 minutes at the end of this period, unless it’s the end of the working day.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jul-19 09:54:19

Going on a train today will be buying my meal deal ???
Stay away from me grans ?

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 09:49:38

OP - how do you cope in restaurants??!!!

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 09:48:46

Heck! - what is the problem? People have to eat!

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:43:08

annepl
I have, as others, been driving for decades and being bored a couple of years after retiring, decided to change tack and do something different. I applied for PA jobs through The Lady magazine and worked in the Isle of Man, St Martin's, and up and down the country. One employer, a German heiress living near my marital home in Virginia Water, wanted a chauffeur and paid for me to go on a course in London. They had Rollers, Mercs Jags and Bentleys. It was a really cushy job and one I loved as I like(d) driving. No uniform just smart trousers and blouse.
I also drove for the then CEO of the WHO who lived in London and Bath. His houses were something else.
Many other similar roles sometimes for well known people who were banned for various reasons. Word of mouth meant I had more offers of work than I could fulfil. It paid extremely well too...with perks.

annep1 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:07:21

Yes, of course, the things that you mention GabriellaG54 are hazards and all we can do is be aware and stay well back from anyone who appears to be driving erratically. We have no control over others.
I can however control what I do, and I feel safer having a break and getting some fresh air. I'm impressed though that you can drive for such a long time.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 23:45:16

Yes annep1 there is always that risk but there are umpteen risks associated with driving. I'm much more likely to be killed or injured by a drunk or drug driving idiot or one who is speeding than I am to suffer the effects of dvt. One weighs up the risks of any activity. Having that extra drink encouraged by your mates or putting your foot down to overtake when it's not safe to do so when you're late..all sorts of behaviour that wouldn't be my fault.
I mostly use public transport nowadays as I can look at the scenery and not have my bp going through the roof at the antics of some road users.
I think there is more chance of getting dvt when flying than driving and I haven't flown for several years and have no plans to do so, what with queues, drunks, strikes and hassle. No. I can do without it. grin

Bagatelle Tue 23-Jul-19 23:25:50

Ban eating on public transport? It gets my vote.

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:30:50

I may be wrong but is there not a risk of dvt from driving a long time without stopping. I thought you would need to stretch your legs now and again.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 18:51:34

Does every driver take a 15 min break after every 2 hrs driving? I very much doubt it.
I know when I'm not fit to drive and when I'm getting tired and would stop well before the point where my concentration was compromised.
I did and do value my life too much to do foolish things.
I wonder how many of you or your families have driven after drinking?

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 18:46:19

That's for cissies.

trisher Tue 23-Jul-19 18:31:53

Wow GabriellaG54 so you don't take notice of the Gov guidelines which advise a 15 min break every 2 hours?

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 16:10:52

Personally, I have never eaten on trains or stopped when driving, not on 6 hour journeys from Surrey to Alnwick or 4.5 hr drives to Wales nor the same journey via 4 trains taking 7 hours. I eat before leaving and after arrival. Everyone is different.

trisher Tue 23-Jul-19 15:44:16

When I took my children to visit my parents we always travelled by train. I always took sandwiches, crisps etc and one of the first things they expected on a train journey was food. In fact when I go south by train I still take a sandwich with me. It seems to me to be a normal part of travelling. In fact I wonder about the OP, do you never eat on a train Atqui?

jenpax Tue 23-Jul-19 15:02:14

In a previous job I used to be on trains and buses all the time scooting around the county to visit different offices, I frequently (due to tight time frames) missed both breakfast and lunch and was forced to eat on the train or a bus. It was either that or my blood sugar dropped and I became faint!