Gransnet forums

Chat

Sky Protect scam call this morning

(18 Posts)
sassenach512 Sat 20-Jul-19 19:44:23

I've no sympathy for scammers' eardrums petra if they're trying to rob me of my hard earned cash, they deserve all they get! I'd challenge any of the high-minded souls who had a pot shot at you to deny they wouldn't want to wring their necks if they got fleeced!
Keep your whistle handy my darlin grin

Witzend Sat 20-Jul-19 19:16:54

Big article in today's Times about pension pot scams. IIRC some well known TV presenter has been scammed out of a huge pension pot. £4bn lost to such scams, according to the article.

And on another forum very recently I've seen someone asking about a £5k pcm income from a £250k investment - ! - presumably whether it was possible/on the level.

If something sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.
I just wish my neighbour had realised this, when she was told she'd won £1m in a lottery she hadn't even entered....?

petra Sat 20-Jul-19 17:21:09

sassenach
I started using whistle about 2 years ago. I didn't have to use it for long before all nuisance calls stopped.
When I posted that infor on here I was shot down for potentially injuring someone's eardrums.
Completely missing the point that they were doing their best to wipe out my bank account.
The whistle is still beside me, just in case wink
Cheap as chips on Amazon.

dragonfly46 Sat 20-Jul-19 17:18:19

I don't pay for Sky protect or any other policies because all our equipment is owned by Sky and if they go wrong they replace them.

Pittcity Sat 20-Jul-19 17:10:10

I've just received a rather convincing looking email telling me that my TV Licence Direct Debit needs to be renewed. Most scam emails are either too good to be true, badly spelt or from companies we don't deal with. This one was quite professional looking.

Septimia Sat 20-Jul-19 16:06:17

I had a similar call from someone purporting to be from Sky although, if I remember rightly, they called me by name. That didn't convince that my Sky Protect needed renewing - my immediate answer was "I don't use Sky". As I hung up I could hear him saying "Oh, but...." I bet he'd have tried to sell me the whole package if I'd stayed on the line!

Blinko Sat 20-Jul-19 15:49:39

Anyone on the phone or at the door who wheels the conversation round to talking about debit cards, credit cards, bank ID and other sensitive information gets very short shrift. Mostly we rely on caller display to decide whether or not to answer and leave any others to the answer machine.

ElaineI Sat 20-Jul-19 13:17:11

There is an HMRC email scam ongoing just now so be aware. You can send it to the HMRC phishing address and they check and note it.

sassenach512 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:13:20

When I realise its another scammer on the end of the phone, I keep them talking long enough to get to my smoke alarm on the landing and hold the phone up to it while I give it a 'test'

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 11:52:49

I still get rogue calls from Talk talk now and again which I remain uncomfortable with given the huge fraud investigation they had a few years ago when hundreds of customer accounts were compromised with personal details stolen. When I'm rang by someone using my name it makes me wonder whether these fraudulent individuals still operate within the company and if so why haven't they been charged or even dismissed ?
There's an awful lot of fraud out there !

Teacheranne Sat 20-Jul-19 11:50:55

I always know it is a scam type call when I am addressed as "Annie" - so many foreign callers don't know about the silent e on my name!

I have to answer all calls even if I don't know the number because I have installed a call blockers on my mums phone
( she has Altzeimers and was scammed several times) and anyone who calls her who is not on the trusted list that I input, gets a message telling them to call me and gives my number. Luckily scammers and cold callers rarely bother!

blondenana Sat 20-Jul-19 11:43:06

I had one of these a few days ago, said they were from talktalk, and what was i using lap top or desk computer i asked why? he said i can help you repair it, i said you can't it's not broken.
As i am not with talktalk i said so and told him i knew it was a scam,i do actually use a talktalk email address from when i WAS with them years ago, just for convenience really as everyone i know knows it
They are a pain.
Also got an email telling me i had been left a lot of money ha, i wish,

aggie Sat 20-Jul-19 08:44:37

My surname defeats most of these scammers so that I can cut them off in their prime smile

harrigran Sat 20-Jul-19 08:42:41

I am more concerned by scam callers who address me by my correct name as it suggests the call could be genuine, only when they start the ridiculous diatribe does it become obvious that they are criminals.

Sara65 Sat 20-Jul-19 08:08:54

Thanks for the tip off, generally anyone who addresses me as ma’am get the phone slammed down

whitefrog632 Sat 20-Jul-19 05:43:01

Thank you very much for sharing this story here. I think people should read these kind of information often. Scammers have dozens of ways to steal our money. I have read thousands of reports and warnings filed by people at sites like whycall.me and another similar websites. Keep spreading the word is our main weapon against these scammers now.

lizzypopbottle Fri 19-Jul-19 10:50:58

Apologies for the typos!

lizzypopbottle Fri 19-Jul-19 10:38:00

I had a call on my land line from this number: 01134900371 based in Leeds.
The caller addressed me as 'Mam' and told me my Sky 'breakdown' cover ran out a week ago, that I could renew there and then and get a good discount if I paid for two year's cover. Unfortunately, they were no longer accepting payment by direct debit so to continue cover and get the discount, I'd have to make a one-off payment. alarm bells were ringing loudly by this time! They weren't too pleased when I said I'd have to think about it and became quite insistent. Apparently, they will call me back at 12.00pm although I doubt that will happen.

I phoned Sky on my mobile. It's hard to find a contact number but this one is from a lengthy search of their website: 03337594098
They put me in touch with Domestic and General, who operate Sky Protect and they confirmed the scam and said they've successfully prosecuted several of these scammers.

I don't normally answer numbers I don't recognise but today, for some reason, I did! Anyway, it's something to watch out for. They never addressed me by name. They suggested how much I pay but were wrong. Their assertion about no longer accepting payment by direct debit was clearly bogus. They said my cover (My dog eats remote control gadgets) had run out last week and I asked why the hasn't informed me sooner but they glossed over that.