Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Synonymous Fri 23-Aug-19 12:07:06

Galen you should write a book! grin

Galen Fri 23-Aug-19 13:08:06

syn
I have thought about it After the end of November when. I retire.

Charleygirl5 Fri 23-Aug-19 13:18:50

A glorious day here today. You live beside the sea corner may Tara and I join you next week? I am happy to cater for myself, take walks along the seashore and rest my eyes sitting in the garden.

I do not want any sea breezes when I am sunbathing- thanks. I do miss St. Andrews.
TOYA

grannyqueenie Fri 23-Aug-19 13:24:36

Posted earlier but in the midst the gransnet site seemed to go down and gobbled up my post in the process.....weird!

I’m glad you’re going to use that great photo carillion it’s just priceless. I love it that children even in these high tech days can still get such pleasure out of the simple things. Our 12 and 11 year olds did the same a few weeks back. Being a very competitive brother and sister it involved much sellotape as they took turns at shutting each other up in the box and then timing how long it took them to escape. Grandpa had to be rather creative with the results to keep the peace!

Hope things have settled down Kitty and that Mr Lester is suitably contrite after the garage debacle! soop I hope you’ve started the day feeling refreshed, us lot need you in good form to keep this cosy kitchen in good working order. We all appreciate it and of course you so much. Yes the whole overgrown hedge/stepladder/electric trimmer/older man combination makes me shudder too. Thankfully common sense mostly prevails here, which reminds me I need to arrange for our rampant leylandei (that spelling looks suspect!) to be hacked back before autumn arrives.

I had a bone idle but rather enjoyable and quite restorative day yesterday. After out guests set off for home and my old boy went off volunteering aka helping the really old people I set the house to rights but not much else. Today the ensuing laundry is all drying nicely, I do love a good drying day. In that regard, if in no other, I am truly my mother’s daughter!

Your stately home visit sounded good, n&g. We have a local “squire” of sorts here who opens the house a few times each year to allow locals to see the collection of paintings housed there. He’s a very friendly and down to earth sort, we had tea in the massive kitchen - complete with a couple of dog beds and wellies in the corner. All that was missing was a couple of Downton Abbey style labradors!

synonymous your dh is amazing in the way he is adapting to his new situation. He is an inspiration, but not forgetting the strong woman who is there supporting him and doing al the other necessary jobs from day to day ... you too are amazing! flowers

What a nuisance maw and hard on the wallet too, but I guess better than having an air bag fail in an emergency. Hope you’re able to have an enjoyable weekend even though it’ll not be the one you’d planned.

Well I must away, I could easily while away the whole afternoon. Since I barely moved a muscle yesterday a bit of a walk is definitely needed today.

No doubt loads of folk I’ve missed but as mamissimosaid, I must try harder! toya xx

grannyqueenie Fri 23-Aug-19 13:27:29

Oops forgot to post some photos of our adventures with our friends this week

kittylester Fri 23-Aug-19 14:26:19

I'm a bit out of the loop at the mo but has anyone seen ann, was she going away?

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Aug-19 14:31:04

kitty ann has been around on other threads.

That looks like Malham Cove gq spent many a field trip up there from school. Yorkshire is so beautiful.

soop Fri 23-Aug-19 14:33:32

MawB The roads are promising to be buggerations personified over the weekend. Being at home, with Hattie, away from all the mania is not such a bad consolotion prize. It is what it is. Make it as pleasant as you can. flowers

Carrillion I would have that special photo enlarged and put on to canvas. It is that good. I used to work for a photographer many years ago. He took a photo of a very young son number three playing with his pet rabbit. It was mounted on canvas. A work of art and a keepsake forever.

Galen grin grin grin

N&G The one thing I've never wanted, is a large, stately pile with umpteen rooms. I can truthfully say that our wee hoos is all I desire. I am such a simple soul. wink

Synonymous I admire your husband's spirit. His prothesis-in-the-making will give him a rewarding new lease of life.

corner there is nothing wrong with shelving the educational stuff once in a while. As for chips. Yay! With almost everything.

GrannyGravy Ditto to your Victoria sponge. smile

All this talk of coupling in the bath tub makes me smile. What I want to know is...how do couples on TV dramas manage it on the kitchen draining board? And...how do they stay upright when the chap takes it into his head to lift the girl off the table/whatever, and has nowt to hold on to? All answers on a postage stamp.

soop Fri 23-Aug-19 14:38:22

A really lovely post and photos, especially the butterfly pic, thank you, granniequeenie

Ann Haste ye back. Ye are missed. grin

Synonymous Fri 23-Aug-19 15:53:09

Galen you really must write that book. You will need to treat it like a new job or else it will never happen and that would be such a shame. I had started one myself and had quite a bit done when I had a stroke and somehow I have never got back to it. Concentration not as good I suppose. One day perhaps.

I have lost a post in the ether somewhere so I am going back to the sex in the bath post as I am so glad to have a mystery cleared up. My auntie and uncle had a very large bath (to me anyway!) in their kitchen and it had a large cover over it. I rarely saw the top come off probably because there were so many 'things' stored on there. We had to present ourselves in the kitchen in our bare scuddies for a 'bath' in the ginormous sinks or else go out to the wash house in the garden where water was heated for the tin bath in the copper. Well, all has become clear now! blush If the top never came off that bath that must be why they didn't have any bairns of their own! Such a relief to have it all explained! grin

annsixty Fri 23-Aug-19 16:17:20

Thank you kitty for missing me.
I went to my D’s for 5 nights and then away for one night to meet up with a friend I haven’t seen for 60 years.
It was a very happy reunion.
To be frank I am k.......d at the moment.
Any small effort tires me out.
I am not sleeping well at all and my aches and pains are bad at the moment.
I am thankfully though at the end of the work involved sorting out my H’s affairs.
I received the last letter from the solicitor this morning “signing off “ the last details and I have completed my own new will, at least to my satisfaction!!
My S has moved in with me, a mixed blessing, and I also received a letter from the council tax people today, in answer to my e-mail informing them of this.
It has gone up £80 a month, that can’t be right.
I will query it on Tuesday if I can get through, they want everything done online, but some things need a conversation.
I hope you all have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend and I send very positive vibes to the Panaches and of course to everyone else.

Synonymous Fri 23-Aug-19 17:19:49

Ann the amount sounds about right I'm afraid but hopefully your son will pay that as part of his contribution to the household bills. So good to hear that you have your husband's affairs all finalised and your own affairs in order too - now you can draw a line and live your new life. I do hope your son proves to be a real blessing, we can be happily surprised sometimes.
Sorry to hear that you are creamcrackered too, it is happening everywhere you look just now! Just put your feet up and rest until you feel better as it is all part of the recovery process from everything that you have been coping with for so long. flowers

As for us, we seem to be on an endless treadmill atm but hoping to find ourselves on the upland meadows soon. I was amazed that it is most unusual to be at the stage Himself is at so soon. It normally takes 18 months to reach where he is and he has done it in just over 4 months. He is very determined and accepting of his predicament on the whole although he does have his moments. Who doesn't?! And yes, Callgirl, I am very proud of him even if he is very self deprecating and won't hear anything. (He also needs heating aids but won't hear anything of that either!hmm)

cornergran Fri 23-Aug-19 17:24:17

Good to see you ann, sorry you're not feeling full of the beans our young ones had yesterday. It must be to do with the amount they eat hmm. Next week will do to sort out the council tax, I think a sole occupier has 25% reduction if that helps.

Your husband is so determined synonymous, the view and meal sound to have been superb.

A book Galen? If you need a proof reader send it my way.

Love the pictures as usual grannyq, beautiful.

Hope you've got some pleasant things planned by now maw, a real disappointment but, yes, doubtlessly being home with hattie is more pleasant than the huge queue I spotted on the M5 earlier.

Did you need the leg of lamb kitty or is all peaceful at Lester Towers?

Now you come to mention it charley I am off for a paddle tomorrow. It occurred to me yesterday that I haven't dipped the feet this year so tomorrow is the day. Well, it will be if the weather forecast is accurate. Watch this space smile.

I was out walking a neighbour's dog earlier and managed to reverse into a patch of nettles, all I can say is ouch! When did they get so stingy? Not a dock leaf in sight so I've resorted to anti histamine cream.

Jobs to do so off I go. TOYA and take care everyone.

soop Fri 23-Aug-19 17:29:05

Good to have you back, Ann. You have been busy. Wishing you a sunny Bank Holiday.

MacSporran celebrates every Bank Holiday no matter where it is. According to him, there is one to enjoy here in Kintyre. I humour him. wink

We've been doing a little garden tidying. Apparently, the hedge trimming is on hold for a day or so. I am petrified that he'll fall from the ladder. shock

A few photos taken in our garden a short time ago. The scarf that I'm wearing, is a gift from Baggs. My absolute favourite colours.

Away to prepare for tonight's meal. TOYA as always. Back with you in the morning. smile moon

Charleygirl5 Fri 23-Aug-19 18:01:51

Ann I am so pleased that now H's affairs are in order as is your own. As corner said you are allowed a 25% discount. I hope it works out well with your s living in the house but please remember to charge him rent!

All of the photos are beautiful.

soop could you not hide the ladder?

Apparently it is going to be 30 degrees C here in London tomorrow. I know that many of you will be jealous. I was moaning a couple of days ago how cold it was.

I noticed last night that Tara was making full use of the new cooling gel bed with the new blanket on top. She was fully stretched out and was so comfortable. The bed and blanket are size large- I suppose medium would be okay for a mouse.

TOYA

Susan56 Fri 23-Aug-19 19:40:05

Just popping in to wish everybody a good bank holiday weekend.Maw,I hope you have managed to make alternative plans.Ann,it may be worth checking up on the council tax,we queried my mums as we thought it was more than it should be and it turned out she had been getting charged for a more expensive band.It was a simple computer error,someone had pressed E instead of D.
Synonymous,I am so pleased things are progressing so well with your husbands recovery.
I’m still getting behind with everybody’s news,you are all so busy so everybody else TOYA?

callgirl1 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:45:10

HEEEEEELP!! A massive great spioder is running back and forth across the floor, me and Lynne are terrified!!!

callgirl1 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:45:26

Spider!

Synonymous Fri 23-Aug-19 21:59:08

I'll send Smokie over - he eats them! If he doesn't get there first I generally smack them with anything to hand and bin them. hmm
September is the month they normally head indoors so obviously they are going to be earlier this year - oh, joy! dragon

callgirl1 Fri 23-Aug-19 22:03:13

I`m too scared to whack it one, and Mia is asleep upstairs!

Panache Fri 23-Aug-19 23:52:00

I dare not jinx things at this end my friends so I will simply say............so far so good,and we are proceeding with the sale to a local couple ...............yet again.

My dear man had his 5th treatment yesterday and although he has almost "sailed" through the previous ones, this time he has been very unwell,no energy whatsoever and the colour has simply drained from his face........so its been a rest day,in fact Bank holiday or not, rest may be the key word .

Dear Soop I rather think this is what your poor body is in need of too,whilst I also shuddered at the mere thought of your MacS perched high up on branches trimming ......remembering only too well that not so long ago it was exactly where my man was.Please take things far more easily,life itself is precious and we really do need to slow down when the signs of age or tiredness become evident.I know it is the last thing we want!!

Sorry to hear your mishaps Maw,sadly these problems tend to come in pairs or more,I am sure you will find ways of getting round this buggeration, and hopefully Hattie`s paw is on the mend.

Thinking of you Dragonfly trusting you are counting down the days with a fresh new hope flowers

Lovely hearing from you Mamissimo and do I detect further health issues interrupting your life?Avoid Hospital grub at any rate!!

Hope Anglesea has proved pleasurable Izabella........weather even permitting the dipping of toes in the briny!!!!

Holidaymakers have certainly been flocking to our seaside places all week, and it looks as if the weather is going to play ball.Summer going out with a bang!Our BBQ will surely be enjoyed!

Have yourselves a lovely weekend my kitchen chums,trusting life will be kind all round and spirits kept high.
TOYAXX

NanaandGrampy Sat 24-Aug-19 08:47:14

Morning all,

Isn't it funny how much you longed for 3 day weekends when you were working then when you retire they mean nothing except everything is more crowded !!

Lovely photos as always grannieQ , I love this whole internet thing, I get to live vicariously through other peoples travels and see places id probably never see otherwise.

That's a sting in the tail Ann , I do hope the rise in Council Tax is wrong.

Lovely pictures of you Soop , you're looking lovely !!

How are the nettle stings Corner? Ive noticed dock leaves seem to be hard to find these days ( our little ones are always getting stung) .

What happened with the spider Callgirl?? I loathe them and we've had a couple recently that you could throw a saddle on and ride out of here lol !! Luckily , Grampy chanced upon them first and as we do NOT have a catch and release policy the world in now short 2 giant spiders !! :-)

Sounds like some positive news Panache , fingers crossed.

Its a crafting day here and not much else , so I shall wish you all a little sunshine in your lives and catch up later x

Nannytopsy Sat 24-Aug-19 09:02:23

Good morning everyone! It’s taken ages to catch up with you all today. House exchange didn’t happen yesterday and we are not getting any answers. Our move is booked for 4th September and we go on holiday on 6th, so there is no room for delays. We had expected to be in weeks ago.

harrigran Sat 24-Aug-19 09:17:37

I feel your annoyance regarding house sales and moving.
We had feedback from estate agent about a viewing the previous day, " it is not the type of property he is looking for, would like a garden " then why in tarnation did he ask to view a top floor flat ? ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 24-Aug-19 10:08:32

I am so sorry harrigran I nearly fell over laughing. Silly me thought that every flat came with a garden! How stupid of that fellow.

Where I live, there are 16 houses and two flats. One flat has been rented- it comes with a sizable amount of land which has been neglected for years. Probably somebody who did not want a garden but liked the flat and surroundings.
TOYA

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion