Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Bellanonna Tue 23-Jul-19 20:16:47

Soop, reading your earlier post I get the feeling you may just be trying to talk yourself into getting a “strapping full-time gardener”. Izabella, the pictures are lovely. Would you want to say whereabouts that lovely scenery is? Would it be over to the West?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 23-Jul-19 20:24:32

Kitty your cooker couldn't have been any worse than ours I am sorry to say. It was so bad he took a before and after photo which he will probably use to show people what he can. Mind you, we had been away for 4 months leaving to young people living in the house. I might a the rest of the house was ok. Lin I know what you mean about the noise from a streamer. I just had to look out window to see what was going on, 3 doors away and it sounded like it was outside our house.

grannyqueenie Tue 23-Jul-19 22:05:49

Well I did type a newsy post late last night... seems the poor WiFi connection we have here wasn't able to follow through and actually post the blinking thing.

We had a weekend joining in the retirement celebrations for a good friend, after hearing all the tributes/expressions of appreciation etc the poor man was an emotional wreck by the end of it all. But I have to say it was all well deserved and it was lovely to hear just how much he’d been appreciated. Since Norfolk is closer to where our friends live than where we live we’d decided at the last minute that it would be a shame not have a few days on the North Coast! So we’ve enjoyed 2 very pleasant days enjoying this lovely part of the world and all in beautiful sunshine too. We will meander our way back home tomorrow before real life catches up with us again. I’ll hopefully attach couple of photos but since I think that’s what may have scuppered last nights attempt who knows if it’ll work or not.

I can’t quite get my head round another new kitchen... how did that happen so quickly? But I’m very glad it’s here for us all, a pleasant place to relax, meet “friends” old and new and catch our breath before facing the various challenges large and small that we all have to contend with from day to day.

Won’t risk comments or greetings, as I can’t face another failed attempt at saying hello to everyone, but as always toya, sleep well kitchen folk! xx

grannyqueenie Tue 23-Jul-19 22:14:37

Looks like it worked at last so will risk adding a few more!

Bellanonna Tue 23-Jul-19 22:25:01

Lovely pictures GQ. No wonder RSPB chose the avocet as its logo. What an incredible bill it has.

Lins1066 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:37:22

Mumofbadboys, what a terribly sad time for you and your family. A difficult day for you. I have been thinking of you ?
Soop I've not heard of that plant, it sounds a demon to shift. I hope Brodie returns to you, you made a lovely B&B for him.

It has been so hot here today, it is our wedding anniversary. It rained then, what a contrast. We have only inside photographs.

Welcome Angelic
TOYA

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Jul-19 23:28:23

The old name for crocosmia was montbretia. I think the new varieties are more thuggish - our Lucifer was a beast and sadly I shall not take any with me!

mumofmadboys Tue 23-Jul-19 23:55:45

Thanks for all your kind thoughts/ comments. I don't think we will have another dog for a few years. We have had pets for most of our married life - 2 dogs and 2 cats and they have all had long lives. One son has developed a cat allergy so no more cats for us. It will be nice to have the freedom to go away without arranging pet care for a while anyway. The house seems odd without her and there is a big space in the kitchen where her basket was until lunchtime. No regrets though- the time for right to say goodbye to our lovely dog.
TOYA I know a lot of you are contending with more serious worries and sadnesses.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jul-19 09:23:32

Morning all !!

We have recovered from yesterdays 200 mile round trip in scorching weather- looks like its going to be another hot one here today !

Maybe , in time MOMB you might consider pet sitting - where you have someone else dog for an over night ? That still gives you a dog fix but without being tied down. I can imagine how strange things feel without her - they leave such a big gap in our lives .

You should have popped in GrannieQ !! Lovely pictures - its hard to beat the Norfolk coast on a blue sky day.

Anno there is little doubt the QOTU is going the same way as your granddaughter. She could not be persuaded to go to the zoo or country park this time even though they have been well loved before. I did ask her if she would ever be too big to visit me and she was horrified at the thought :-) so I think I have a while to go yet :-)

Welcome Angelic ….are you ;-)

I am adding a picture of the little boys this morning. The first shot is last September the first day of school and the 2nd today at the end of term . Cooper is dressed as a pirate as his class is having a pirate day to celebrate. They entered class down a slide , through a bubble machine lol ! I wouldn't mind a go of that myself.

Happy day all !

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 14:17:38

anno wink

Izabella The Emerald Isle is very much like the West Coast of Scotland. Just beautiful.

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 14:39:22

Bella, your suggestion re a "strapping young gardener", is a very wise one. grin

Barmeyoldbat Have I missed your coming into the kitchen? If so, I apologise and extend a huge, warm welcome to you. It's possible that we've met before. It's just that my memory bank is a bit dusty at the moment. smile

granniequeenie Yet more winning photos from your camera. Love the creatures.

Lins1066 Be warned...should you ever find one in your garden...you must dig it out because it will multiply and invade all areas available to it.

N&G Delightful boys. Us lot love the bones them.

I arrived as usual to do the ironing for my pal. I had a very uncomfortable seering pain in my pelvc area. Thought to myself, oh, please not the start of another UTI. I completed the latest antibio's just last week. Started ironing and knew that I was about to vomit. Dashed for the cloakroom and did so. My pal shoved me inside her car and brought me back home. I am feeling improved. Sat through Theresa May's final question time and thought to myself...there goes a lady who did her very best to sort out a mess not of her making. hmm What now?

A friend gave us this perenn plant when it was not in bloom. Today, it looks stunning. I must ask her the name of it. One saves the seed pods and sows them in fresh compost next year.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:54:52

soop should you not be on the phone to your GP? Something has caused this and we are all aware of the state of your health which you play down. Please, please look after yourself.

I had to go a short journey in my car and it is so hot here it is actually almost unbearable and I am doing zilch. I have asked Alexa for a local weather forecast and it is 31C and apparently is rising to 35C tomorrow. I cannot wait.
TOYA

Bellanonna Wed 24-Jul-19 16:04:02

Soop, Charleygirl is right. See your GP! Especially as you had all that pain.
CG it’s unbearable today! DD is off to a holiday on Mull tomorrow where it’s 17° Wish I was going with them.

Panache Wed 24-Jul-19 16:09:56

Thank goodness the day has been decidely dull compared with the boiling sunshine of yesterday,but sadly there seems no rain and our country is beginning to look rather sad.

MOMB my heart truly goes out to you as we know ......as so many of us do.......the pain and grief that follows the death of a much loved pet.May the memories help to bring you some comfort.

Sorry for the sheer insensitivity of some folk Galen

Whilst Soop you have had more than your fair share of all manner of health issues and I demand you get improved health from this day forth............I might even write demanding such from our brand new Prime Minister!!!

Sincerely hoping your Wedding Anniv ersary was a decidedly happy one for you Lins1066 time you truly had some uplifts...... and may the healing continue.

Lovely pictures that make my mouth water!

Some good news re my leg, as at long last it is showing signs of healing and my nurse is very pleased with progress.

Two trips to our former home this week,clearing out the last of the rubbish although I have a feeling it will not be quite the last!
On saturday the first of 2 Garage Sales and we certainly hope for a nice dry day but please.......... not another scorcher!

Wish me luck as I wave you all goodbye!
Have a lovely day and do keep out of trouble.TOYA.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:10:32

Oh Bellanonna could I be her baggage carrier? I cannot take off any more clothes- it is difficult knowing what to do.

It is nearly 45 years since I last visited Mull- I do hope your DD enjoys it there. Anywhere is better than London- I am assuming she lives here?

Bellanonna Wed 24-Jul-19 16:15:20

Thanks Charleygirl, I’m sure she’d appreciate that but you might have to share a bed with a little one! They live in Surrey where it’s much the same as here. They’ve packed cagoules and boots and I’m sure they’ll have a lovely time.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:25:57

The little one would not sleep well because I toss and turn and being so used to my own double bed the little one may well himself on the floor so maybe I should stay here.

there is a little air coming in the rear French doors. In a few months time, I will be moaning because I am too cold. I may have a shower soon- as I have solar heating and all of this sunshine I do have unlimited hot water so there are some pluses.

dragonfly46 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:35:25

So good to hear your news Panache. Things are certainly moving apace.

Soop ring the doctor and find out what it is you have picked up. You are very vulnerable at the moment.

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 17:23:08

Panache Your good news continues to brighten our day. That leg, if it is responding to the antibio's, will hopefully stop giving you and us lot cause for concern.

Since returning home this morning, I have rested, had plenty of fluids and a Magnum that MacSporran thoughtfully rescued from the freezer as we watched the latest news unfold. The pain is no longer a problem. I am almost certain that I have another UTI. Tomorrow, we'll pick up a pee pot from the surgery. I'm betting on the wee being infected.
The other day, I discovered a newspaper cutting on the matter of mesh implants and the likelihood of repeated infections. As you know, in 2002 I had anterior/posterior ventral suspension surgery. It was carried out in a private hospital in Cornwall, prior to our move to Scotland. Things haven't been right for a very long time. Further prolapses and corrective procedures have taken up much time and repeated journeys to different hospitals in Glasgow. The hospital has not responded to any communication from either Consultants or me regarding whether or not mesh was used. Apparently, although I was in hospital for almost ten days, they have no records because it was 'too long ago'. I have almost given up hoping to find answers. Sometimes, the variety of buggerations become like a millstone around one's neck. Too much faffing makes for discontentment. Life is too short.
If we had the funds, we would pay for a private investigation with an expert. In the meantime, please do not fret about me. I am tougher than I think. There are Granspals dealing with far worse problems and I would sooner they have all our support.

Time for log off. It's a glorious day. Nowhere near as hot as in some parts of the Country. Hot enough! So far, we've escaped a thunderstorm.

TOYA smile moon

cornergran Wed 24-Jul-19 17:29:49

Please see the doctor soop, if nothing else it stops us all nagging smile

Nearly there panache, keep going.

It’s a pleasant 26 here today, usual sea breeze aka howling gale which is unusually welcome. Have done - nothing at all other than read since 10am. Fuzzy head so little coherent thinking and achey bones after early physio but it’s not unpleasant just to sit.

Good to see those happy boys n&g, school wasn’t like that when the dinosaurs ruled the earth grin

Happy anniversary lins. flowers.

TOYA.

cornergran Wed 24-Jul-19 17:31:40

Crossed posts soop, pleased you’ll get yourself checked, hope you have a comfortable night. smile.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jul-19 20:37:06

Well in SE Essex it is showing 32 degrees, Mr.Gravy has just been sitting in the "big" car with GS watching tv with the air conditioning on to cool him down after a busy day.

Myself and D (who is pregnant) are seriously considering sleeping in same big car!!!

I love the heat but this is on the uncomfortable side, but hey ho better than rain and cold!!!

Wishing you al a good night and sleep well.

TOYA ??

annsixty Wed 24-Jul-19 22:42:06

I am just back, well half an hour ago, from visiting a friend and we were able to sit in her lovely garden all evening.
I really can't remember the last time we were able to do this here in the NW.
It was such a treat.
We did have a couple of glasses of wine but it is now so hot in bed that I don't think that was the reason.
I don't know if thunder is forecast for tonight like last night but tomorrow is going to be a record breaker.
Stay safe folks

Greyduster Thu 25-Jul-19 08:39:33

Hello the kitchen! I hope we have now got all out tech problems sorted after our ISP sent us a lovely new “super router” hmm. We have a child free day today and it is already warming up outside so we are planning on doing the sum total of nothing, and the thought of spending any time in the car is more than either of us can stand. Add to that the fact that I suspect I may also be joining the UTI brigade so I will hit the cranberry juice and lots of iced water today. We had a long day out with GS on Tuesday and I didn’t take anywhere near as much liquid on board as I should have. Yesterday we were at the swimming pool, which was bliss, and then went for a walk to see how the local blackberries were getting on. We found seven ripe ones and I told GS that when we were his age we would eat them straight off the bushes. He was horrified and insisted we take them home to be washed! What snowflakes these youngsters are! They wouldn’t last five minutes in the wild! (Mind you, neither would I now!). I told him the origin of the phrase ‘to grasp the nettle’ and we dared each other to do it. He chickened out, I got stung!

Soop please look after your health - you sound as if you have been in the wars again. “Getting on a bit”, and all it brings with it, is a complete pain!

Corner sounds like you have the right idea today! A book and a beach! What could be better?

Gq your photos have given me serious Norfolk envy. That avocet is fabulous. We are working on getting down there shortly ourselves, fingers crossed!

N&G young Jim Lad certainly looks the part, but even without the pirate gear, you can see the change in him since the beginning of term!

Good to hear your leg is on the mend, Panache!

Well, I can hear Mr Duster stomping about upstairs (his way of telling me to put the kettle on!), so I had better go and bid him good morning. Have a good day and I will look in later. TOYA!

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Jul-19 09:11:14

Morning all!

Just a flying visit !

As far as bad days go this is a corker!

Renal clinic in hour , an hour from home. Dentist at 4pm an hour from home the other way ! Add in potentially the hottest day of the year and 4 hrs in the car —— shoot me now!!!

Wish me luck please ???

Back later !

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion