Gransnet forums

Chat

Mobility scooters .......on the road!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Mon 22-Jul-19 13:28:33

Three times in the last few days I have seen men on mobility scooters on 'main' roads. I realise that some can go on roads but it seems very dangerous on a dual carriageway with traffic bearing down at 70mph.

What do you think?

Justme67 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:49:58

No problem suziewoozie, I have been known to be wrong on several occasions, in fact very often! I used to do a newsletter for a group I belonged to, and found making a mistake was a good way of finding out who took the trouble to read them. Surprising!

Alexa Wed 24-Jul-19 15:09:37

"Do you think I live in a bubble?" (Gabriella)

Sometimes you have that effect on me.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jul-19 10:12:38

Thanks Gabrielle - apologies JustMe. Very careless of me.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:10:55

suziewoozie

You obvs didn't read that Justme67 mentioned if you are not disabled and buy a scooter from a shop, then must pay VAT.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jul-19 10:02:07

No no no no Justme. If you are disabled and buy mobility aids brand new, they are VAT free.

Justme67 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:55:44

I have a mobility scooter, bought privately second hand, a bit rickety, but it does the job for me, because we are about 10 mins walk from the bus stop, and although the shops are close by - probably 10-15 minute walk, it is the carrying of the shopping home that makes me keep the buggie. I also have another one which was my husband's again, bought privately, because he needed it, but if you are not disabled and buy a buggie from a shop, then you must pay VAT. Our insurance cover was £40. each, and we had it just really as personal liability. My daughter told me of an item of news on the radio that a large proportion of NHS hospital money is spent on "loneliness. Having a buggie can help to cure some of that loneliness, amazing the number of people who will smile and say good morning, makes all the difference to the day. I know.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jul-19 09:09:14

Yes scooters from Motability are only available if you are in receipt of the higher rate mobility allowance * Suzie* , but insurance is available to anyone ( and its not an unreasonable amount - I had a quote at £100 for the year for accident, 3rd party liability and breakdown and theft) .

Franbern Wed 24-Jul-19 08:45:06

I love that mobility scooters are available. Just wish they had been around forty years back, for my Mum When she had virtually no mobility the only way she ever got out of the flat was for my Dad to push her in a wheelchair, rather a lot for someone in his 80's.
I do still drive, but for local trips to shops, or my different clubs, if the weather is dry I prefer to use my scooter - pavement model only. I carry insurance, not just for myself, but should i accidently cause damage to a car or wall,etc. I am covered.
We are fortunate in LB of Waltham Forest that there are dropped kerbs, virtually everywhere, and I have found that car drivers are extraordinarily considerate is stopped when i am waiting to cross a road.
For local, small shops I park this outside and use a walking stick to get round. I do feel that using the scooter is a lot more eco friendly than my car for such short trips of a mile or so.
I think most scooters users are considerate people, but - as with all things - there are going to be a tiny minority who are rude. Must say I have never been tempted to have one that goes on the road, sounds pretty nightmarish to me.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jul-19 08:24:21

I think Motability is only available if you are in receipt of certain disability benefits?
Of course there should be some controls on who can use mobility scooters and when and where. And insurance should be compulsory. There has been an explosion in their use and sadly some users are completely at best unaware and at worst couldn’t care less about other road/pavement users.

kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 07:54:19

One of the scooter drivers in my op was on a very busy dual carriageway and very indistinct until we were almost on top of his. It was difficult to slow down sufficiently and, due to the busyness of the road, impossible to change lanes to avoid him.

We saw him later being 'spoken to' by an ambulance driver.

Totally different from slower roads, country lanes etc.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:23:57

Cycle lane will be clogged up with cyclists doing an average speed of 17-20mph, e-scooters 14mph tops and mobility scooters 8mph tops.
I wonder who will fare best and who will get the most flak.

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:09:44

I know it's a serious thread but your post made me laugh Bluebelle especially the fag in mouth lady.

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:48:43

Thanks Nanaandgrampa I didn't know that.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:36:02

I wonder if I could raise the flag of 'discrimination' if I wanted to walk in the road when most pavements have cars parked on them. Perhaps mums with buggies to do that too.
Y'know, if you want to tootle about on public highways that's fine, just don't block my progress whether on pavement or highway and I wish you all the very best Anniebach when you take to the streets. I know that there are country lanes which are as dangerous as some A roads in towns so take care.
Do let us know how it goes in Powys.

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-Jul-19 21:34:47

If you get your road worthy scooter through Motability I believe it is insured for road use annepl.

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:03:06

I think mobility scooters are great. I won't hesitate to get one if I need it. But I do think if they are used on main roads they should be fit for this purpose and should be insured. In fact the way some folk drive on the pavement they would need to be insured.

Anniebach Tue 23-Jul-19 19:51:59

NannaandGrampy. The critics of mobility scooters should live in rural Wales, tractors, horses, sheep, combines, chickens, geese, milk lorries, horses boxes, hunting hounds .

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-Jul-19 19:40:15

Actually I do drive on the main road if I have too and , I know this is mind blowing, but there are tractors on the road , and lorries too .

And cyclists and horses !

We all manage to not kill each other . Shocking eh? ?

Anniebach Tue 23-Jul-19 19:35:14

It seems to be assumed those who use mobility scooters have never had a driving licence

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jul-19 19:25:04

A woman not far from where I live tears around on hers like a bat out of Hell and many's the time it's me who's had to suddenly step onto the road to avoid her. She's got one of those faces that says right away " say anything if you dare ".

Sara65 Tue 23-Jul-19 19:17:38

They have obviously enhanced the lives of many people who have mobility problems, but they can be a hazard, and sadly not every operator seems to know how to use them

If I drove down one way streets the wrong way, or held up rush hour traffic I’d be prosecuted, so yes, they’re an enormous help to a lot of people, but please have a quick glance at the Highway Code before you invest in one

Anniebach Tue 23-Jul-19 19:08:14

Tough on car drivers then. Discrimination against the disabled is so wrong.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 18:44:07

Alexa
Do you think I live in a bubble?
Why suppose that I don't realise that disabled people need to get out and about?
That's ridiculous, but they need to do it safely. You know how many road users detest cyclists who can react much quicker on a bike than a person on a mobility scooter...and how many accidents cyclists have with vehicles.
I'd go mad having to drive behind a scooter doing 6-8mph and so would the vast majority of road users.

GabriellaG54 Tue 23-Jul-19 18:36:44

For your own safety Anniebach
Would you be comfortable tootling along at maximum 8mph and being passed perilously close by a huge delivery truck like the Waitrose ones or a tractor or an artic going 40-50mph especially in bad weather when visibility is compromised?
I don't know why you're asking as you wouldn't be doing it anyway.
Trust users to get up in arms.
If you or any scooter users want to get number plates, indicators and pay road tax that's all well and good but you certainly wouldn't be comfortable on most A and B roads, that's for sure.
I hope you try it in future when you get out and about and report back here to let other users know how you got on.

Anniebach Tue 23-Jul-19 17:44:16

True Alexa,