Gransnet forums

Chat

Hubby, grandbaby?

(168 Posts)
kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 10:47:15

These words seem to have risen in popularity lately.

They are not words I would ever use and I wonder what brings words to the fore.

There must be loads of others that I haven't thought of.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 26-Jul-19 21:16:36

Just found another one which has annoyed me for a while; 'home alone', as in 'she has been left home alone' instead of 'she has been left AT home alone'. I think it's careless, and presumably the fault of the films.

GrauntyHelen Fri 26-Jul-19 19:10:24

I say "the husband" sodapop -in a somewhat jocular manner -the novelty of having one amuses me

Sara65 Fri 26-Jul-19 18:18:24

A lot of people at work end their call with “see you later”
I am never, ever going to see them, and if by some remote chance I did, we wouldn’t know each other.

kittylester Fri 26-Jul-19 17:22:47

My sister in law has just had her company offices refurbished. She was insistent that there was 'bump zone' included. I think I they used to be called kitchens!

Alexa Fri 26-Jul-19 14:53:34

I like 'sharpening the pencil'. But if I knew it was a cliche I'd not like it. I do like people to be creative and if they cannot be creative just to speak in plain English (where that's the common language). Cliches are sad,

annodomini Fri 26-Jul-19 14:12:05

Thinking back: I am sure that my mother often referred to 'panties'. 'Knickers' would have seemed 'common' to her, unless it referred to the school ones we had to wear for our PE lessons. The kind my grannies wore were 'bloomers', almost reaching the knee, concealing their garters. I don't think I would have used 'panties' (the word, not the garment), more likely just 'pants' which caused me some confusion when my American pen friend used it to mean jeans.

SueDonim Fri 26-Jul-19 14:11:35

Yes, we can be 'early adopters' of that phrase, Farnorth!

FarNorth Fri 26-Jul-19 14:06:34

SueDonim grin
I must start using that pencil one!

Ginger79 Fri 26-Jul-19 13:43:22

On a recent phone call I was told no worries when it was nothing to worry about at all.
Also see your later which has no time relevance

kittylester Fri 26-Jul-19 07:11:00

I agree about panties - it's horrid.

Someone up thread mentioned 'uni' - that is also horrid.

I e just remembered another of mine - bestie!! I'm actually seeing my closest friend today but I'd never call her my bestie!

SueDonim Fri 26-Jul-19 01:42:42

Here's a new one. 'Sharpening the pencil.' confused

My son was recently looking for a new car. He went to the dealer where he'd bought his previous cars and everyone he spoke to talked about sharpening pencils as in 'Let's see if we can sharpen the pencil and get the price down a bit for you.'

He got fed up of people talking about stationery and took himself off to an alternative dealer, where they spoke in a normal language and sold him a car which was much more suitable for his needs.

Peaseblossom Fri 26-Jul-19 01:30:54

I hate snuck, dove instead of dived, putting "of" in unnecessarily, e.g. it's not that big of a deal (UGH). 24/7, over the next several days, instead of in several days or in a few days. Bad grammar, would of could of, etc. you was, you done, etc. hate grandkids (the word!) fur babies, going forward, obvs, and many more!

andiacc1 Fri 26-Jul-19 01:19:34

We say that...maybe it's a ' regional phrase '...." I'm good, thankyou ". Often used. X

SueDonim Fri 26-Jul-19 00:55:27

Some things are best left unsaid, Lemongrove. grin

grannybuy Thu 25-Jul-19 23:06:09

I can't say panties!

grannybuy Thu 25-Jul-19 22:59:15

Mom and prom (as in the leaver's dance ).
When I was a child, my DM showed great disdain for people who used the term 'hubby'. She thought it was so 'common', even though we were very working class ourselves.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 22:26:31

SueDonim haha, there’s nothing to say really is there??
But did you say anything?

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 22:24:32

Iam64 that’s a great description of dogs, made me laugh, and it’s so true.?

SueDonim Thu 25-Jul-19 22:14:52

I wasn't really aware of 'the rainbow bridge' thing until this thread, but this evening the term has appeared in my life - spooky! We had a rainbow at sunset just now and a neighbour commented that it must be a message from a third neighbour who died recently, to say they'd reached 'the other side' safely. confused

tiredoldwoman Thu 25-Jul-19 21:54:48

I love Bubba or Bubs ! All my Bubs are Bubbas !

okimherenow Thu 25-Jul-19 21:36:08

I love 'holibobs' .....

trendygran Thu 25-Jul-19 21:33:59

Hun is th worst word for me. My Goddaughter uses it a lot on fb to her friends. Hate it but keep quiet!
Sleepover is fine for me.

Grandyma Thu 25-Jul-19 21:18:30

Hubby
Bubba
Sweetie
The Wife
?

Iam64 Thu 25-Jul-19 19:58:38

Ahh, see I had such kind messages when one of my dogs was put to sleep earlier this year that 'rainbow bridge, run free' no longer gives me the eeeby jeebies

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 19:49:07

Rainbow bridge ?????

I feel like there’s a whole language out there that I don’t speak