Gransnet forums

Chat

“Going away outfits”

(41 Posts)
MawBroonsback Wed 24-Jul-19 11:20:22

With our 49th anniversary tomorrow very much in my mind sad I have been trawling through the informal wedding pics which say more to me than the still formal ones!
So, having had an enjoyable thread on wedding dresses - how about your “going away” outfits?
Of course nowadays with “evening dos” I don’t suppose people bother, but I loved mine (and wore it to a few weddings in the ensuing years!)
So, don’t be shy! Or as Delia might say “Let’s be ‘avin yer”

Grannybags Wed 24-Jul-19 11:24:55

I didn't have one. We got married in a Registry Office (47 years ago on 20th July) and we didn't "go" anywhere!

kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 11:29:45

I had a green blue mini loosely woven dress and matching coat but resisted all temptations to wear a hat. Don't think we had any photos.

All the younger people came to the railway station to see us off and my brother was still on the train as it moved off!

Beechnut Wed 24-Jul-19 11:32:29

I haven’t a photo of me in my going away outfit. I think I wore dress I made for a friends wedding the year before which was blue and white.
Our poor car had a thorough decorating by friends!

Fennel Wed 24-Jul-19 11:56:17

I married 1st husband in Feb. 1959, and for 'going away' I had a new brown tweed coat and a light brown wool dress. No hat. I've got a photo.
We didn't go far - just over the river to Durham. We didn't have a car so I don't know how we got there.

Fennel Wed 24-Jul-19 11:58:20

ps @ Maw - remember all the happy times, most of those 49 years I should think. flowers

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 12:10:14

Maw flowers and I hope you remember all the happy times

I had a 'sharp pink' wool suit (goodness knows why wool, because it was June) and I remember shortening the skirt because it seemed a bit mumsy! I can't remember if I had a cooler sop underneath the jacket but I must have done. As we had a 250 mile car journey after the reception (no 'evening do's in those days) I would have been better in trousers and a top.
The back of the car was piled up with wedding presents.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 12:10:47

sop? top grin

DanniRae Wed 24-Jul-19 12:12:41

My darling mum and dad bought me a very smart going away outfit. It was a navy blue dress and matching coat with a wide cream stripe around my waist. We didn't go away until the next morning so no-one saw it except my brother who drove us to the airport!

annsixty Wed 24-Jul-19 12:12:52

I think I liked my going away outfit as much as my wedding dress and of course I got a lot more wear out of it.
I was very slim then and had a beautiful oyster silver/ grey slim fitting dress with a matching jacket.
The jacket was loose and short.
I wore black suede shoes and a black suede handbag.
When I wore it afterwards I had long black suede gloves.
This was in 1958.
I don’t think I have any photos.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 12:13:43

No-one took a photo of us as far as I know

ninathenana Wed 24-Jul-19 12:40:32

Maw you could be my friends twin looking at the coloured pic. Lovely happy photo.
I didn't have a "going away outfit" as we couldn't afford a honeymoon. We spent our wedding night in our new home and DH went to work on the Monday.

mcem Wed 24-Jul-19 12:43:26

Smart high-necked Jaeger dress in cornflower blue and pale grey semi-fitted coat (plus matching blue 'Jackie Kennedy' pillbox!)
They were worn a great deal and the coat still hangs in the back of my wardrobe!

Alima Wed 24-Jul-19 12:47:32

A going away outfit? Now there’s posh!

Pittcity Wed 24-Jul-19 13:01:29

Didn't have one. DH drove us home. I wore a slightly stained wedding dress!

Calendargirl Wed 24-Jul-19 13:01:38

White flared trousers, a red velvet smock type top, ( maybe made me look pregnant but I wasn’t!)
Navy and white brogue type shoes but with thick high heel, matching shoulder bag.
Sounds horrendous now, but felt the bees knees as we set off for Cornwall.
The top is still at back of airing cupboard, looks rather forlorn now.
We were 19 and 21, so young compared to weddings nowadays.

kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 13:16:02

&Alima*, not posh just the custom and much cheaper than a night do as well as a wedding.

My going away outfit came in really handy for lots of other wedding around the same time. My friends all did the same!

Septimia Wed 24-Jul-19 13:16:36

My mum and my aunt 'helped' me shop for my outfit, so it wasn't anything like what I would have chosen for myself. They chose a small, dogtooth (I think) checked pink and off-white dress, with a waist, full pleated skirt and short sleeves. It was OK and I did wear it quite a bit afterwards. At least I got to choose the crochet cardigan and high-heeled navy blue shoes to go with it. Wore it 44 years ago on Friday!

Stansgran Wed 24-Jul-19 13:23:59

50years ago a pale pink silk tunic dress with a very large hat. Wore it again various times with modifications as many friends got married and it wasn't required to have anew outfit each time someone got married in the dark ages.

dragonfly46 Wed 24-Jul-19 13:24:35

Maw your outfit is lovely and you looked so happy. What a joy!

I got married in my going away outfit!! Red dress and coat and white maribou hat.

kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 13:27:38

Congratulations*septima*.

It was a time of change when I got married in 1970! As a 21 year old I still did as I was told - home at 11pm for example! -but wore all the fashions of the time. My friends were the same and it wouldn't have occurred to any of us to not follow tradition.

Weird looking back.

shysal Wed 24-Jul-19 14:08:07

I wore a sky blue boucle suit with slightly flared skirt. It came to a few inches above my knees, which my father described as 'a bit mini'. I wore my late grandmother's brooch on a lapel, and my shoes were pearlised leather sling backs with matching bag.
I have a photo in the loft but CBA to climb up to find it.

blossom14 Wed 24-Jul-19 14:53:52

I wore a cream dress and jacket that I had bought the year before for a family wedding. This was in 1959 and the outfit lasted a good few years at friends' weddings. No hat.

Grandma70s Wed 24-Jul-19 15:32:15

We went to London for a couple of days the next morning. I wouldn’t have a clue what I wore except there is a photo of me at Kew. I’m wearing a suit that I remember as turquoise and blue very light loose-weave wool. It wasn’t new. That was September 1968.

My hair was much curlier then. I wonder why? A different cut, I suppose.

Grandma70s Wed 24-Jul-19 15:42:07

Just looking at a photo on TV of the Queen shaking hands with Boris Johnson. She is wearing a dress in the exact colours of my suit in my Kew Gardens photo.