Chat

I wish

(61 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 24-Jul-19 14:31:32

I wish I had a Phillip in my life . Lucky Theresa

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 13:49:36

I can understand that Grammaretto

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 13:48:31

Day6 I have always admired her dignity. To ridiculed her because she had a croaky voice when making a speech, a male member of the SNP was brutal. Knives from all directions must have been horrendous. But She had Phillip
there at the end of the day . I’m glad she did.

Grammaretto Thu 25-Jul-19 12:55:17

Well that's a relief Gabriella it would be awful to fight over the same Philip.
I think it was Iris Murdoch who said "Anyone can love anyone and anyone can prefer anyone to anyone else" or words to that effect.
My Philip would have to be reminded putting out the rubbish. That's usually my job along with grass cutting.

My DM was a widow for 54 years and she never stopped missing her Philip. Anniebach flowers

Day6 Thu 25-Jul-19 12:46:35

Yes Annie, you are right.

I imagine Theresa May has gone home quite exhausted and often stressed out most nights, for the last three years. She has behaved with dignity throughout even when all the knives were out.

I admire her as a woman, and yes,it would have been very much harder for her without her loyal and supportive husband. (I never had one of those as a married woman.) I loved the way he was so protective of her, almost urging her on at a difficult time when she said goodbye on the Downing Street podium. I expect he is relieved that she doesn't have to take the strain any more.

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 12:37:03

Luckygirl

Oh yes, I remember that now, good old Phillip

BlueSapphire Thu 25-Jul-19 12:32:39

I want my 'Philip' back very much, just miss him so much.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 11:48:28

Most peoples' husbands are only 'all that' to them.
I usually praise the lord they're not mine! grin

Lessismore Thu 25-Jul-19 11:46:30

I'm not entirely sure Phillip is all that.

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:56:36

"“I do the cooking, because I enjoy cooking, and Philip puts the bins out."

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:55:42

....that Phillip puts out the rubbish!.......annie

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 10:37:37

Its not really about having someone to do chores, though it would be nice to be able to share them; its about knowing someone is there for you, and you for them.

People live alone perfectly well for years.
There is nothing I need or really want a man for, but it'd be nice, sometimes, to have a cuddle, to hold someone's hand, or to share a joke.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 10:34:32

Theresa has told us what Luckygirl ?

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:28:21

Ah - but he does. Theresa has already told us that!

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:21:58

I think the Mays seem a lovely and devoted couple.

I do have my Philip of 40+ years, and we have been friends since my mid teens, we’ve had our ups and downs, but I absolutely always know he’ll be on my side, even if he thinks I’m wrong!
He’s always been 100% supportive, and a brilliant dad and grandfather
I don’t want him to sound perfect, because he isn’t, but I’d surely miss him

harrigran Thu 25-Jul-19 10:10:22

I have a man that knocks spots off any in the public eye, he has been looking after me for 56 years.

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:02:44

"NO normal relationship"

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:02:24

I too miss this - all of this. But my OH is still alive. There is normal relationship left - I am the bin-putter-out, the financial organiser, the "mother" to a new "child".

I am not looking for sympathy - I have got used to all this and it is simply a new way of life. OH's "love" for me is really just total dependency and fear that I might not be here for him.

People say "It is good that you have still got him" - but I haven't really. I just preside over his poor quality of life.

Just saying that there is more than one way to lose your life's partner.

dragonfly46 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:54:54

Spot on Annie it is not about putting the bins out either (my DH never has put the bins out) but it is somewhere there to turn to and get support from. Also someone to do nothing with.

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Jul-19 09:53:31

I don’t think a discussion about equality and whether or not there are “his” and “her” jobs were what was intended in this thread Gabriella, it’s more about being lucky to have or to have had a loving, caring, supportive partner. Not everyone is so lucky, sadly, but those of us who are count our blessings.
I agree with Annie, I think Teresa May is very fortunate to have a loving and supportive partner by her side. She’s certainly needed him this last few months!

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 09:19:28

Watching your children grow up together. Being able to say
‘Where shall we go for holidays this year’. Having arms hold
you close. Longing to hear ‘I love you’.

having a grandson only three years younger than the person you loved was when he died.

Having to say ‘my daughters’, not ‘our daughters ‘

Nothing to do with equal rights .

GabriellaG54 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:09:09

Putting out rubbish and recycling isn't exclusive to males in 2019. If you want equal rights and equal pay then do equal jobs...including you putting out rubbish and him hanging out washing.
It's not an arduous job putting a bin out once a week esp if you live alone. Just how much rubbish does one person generate?
My local council arrange for the refuse collectors to collect your bin and put it back if you are unable to do so yourself. I'm sure that is replicated across the UK.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 09:08:22

?

Lessismore Thu 25-Jul-19 09:04:00

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkXLB09h3w

GabriellaG54 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:00:13

MissAdventure
I couldn't possibly think of anyone worse than the ideal you describe @ 18.09 yesterday.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 25-Jul-19 08:32:07

Well yes, I can truthfully say as a widow that I miss my 'Philip' everyday and I wish I had a magic wand to bring him back with prefect health. We can all dream, can't we?