Gransnet forums

Chat

hearing aids and the telephone

(2 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 24-Jul-19 19:16:56

I have a volume control on my landline, though I don't need it loud as I'm not deaf, when you increase the volume it's like a loudspeaker. People in the next road would hear it.

Justme67 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:44:21

As some of you know, I am quite deaf, wear two hearing aids and still have difficulty in some situations. The telephone has always been the bane of my life, I have the loudest of bells, but my hearing got so bad I could not hear what the person calling was saying. When my husband was well, it was fine, he would answer, but I no longer have his help, so a little while before he died I decided to try a new NGTs system, which my son in law set up for me, it can use a computer (which I do) together with a mobile, or smartphone, and works for me in the way that when I ring a number (with a special number before the number I am calling), I can then talk to whoever is at the other end, and the system provides a relay assistant who types the replies. The reason I am writing this is that I have been getting better and better at using the system, and today I managed two very long and important phone calls without getting myself in a tizz I would not say it was ideal for chatting, but certainly, important calls where you need to keep track of things it is ideal, because at the end of the conversation you can save what has been said. Just thought this might come in handy for someone who is thinking of installing the system it is free.