Gransnet forums

Chat

the heat

(61 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 11:56:05

Never was i so glad to get into the supermarket near the chillers and freezers to feel cool and comfy.Not long been back and have put on a old halter neck dress that i wear only indoors, bare feet and no bra, bliss!!! smile

I intend to do nothing for the rest of the day.We are having fresh crusty rolls with pate and salad for tea, no putting the cooker on. I may do some sewing with the fan on full blast, my poor garden is going to have to wait till it cools down then i will get the hosepipe out. What are you doing today in the heat????

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Jul-19 14:47:56

I’m going to the dentist ?

Kupari45 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:48:23

Jobs and shopping done by ten this morning. We live in a coastal village in Northumberland, so I'm sitting out in garden enjoying the breeze.
However the only thing spoiling the day is the swarms of tiny black flies ( Thunder flies we call them) they get everywhere- specially in my curly hair (even with base ball hat on).
However its lovely to have some summer at last, and freezer is loaded with ice lollies.

DanniRae Thu 25-Jul-19 14:49:40

My husband is sitting outside and has just said "It is raining!".
We are in South East London, by the way shock

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:51:57

I'm wilting. I need to vacuum but it's too hot. I'm lolling about doing some hand sewing but that is it. Drinking lots of tea to keep hydrated.

suziewoozie Thu 25-Jul-19 14:54:08

My dd has been sent home from work because of the heat - on the way home, she rang to check we were drinking plenty of water. What a sweetheart she is.

ginny Thu 25-Jul-19 14:55:29

Reading 35 in the shade in our garden at the moment. We are indoors at the back of the house which faces North.
I am doing some crochet but not the large blanket I have on the go.
Had small salad for lunch and out for a meal with my sewing pals this evening. Drinking lots of water.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 14:58:59

All blinds closed since this morning, and this house is usually cool anyway.Cotton dress on, fan on, drinking lots of iced water and have just been doing crosswords with teenage DGS who is here for the day.
It will be a cheese and ham salad this evening with baguette.

Witzend Thu 25-Jul-19 15:09:56

Looking after little Gdcs in their home at the moment. It's like an oven here (Oxfordshire). In their garden is one of those oblong paddling pools, with the end of a slide positioned at one end, so you can slide in and splosh. I'm seriously tempted...

However one of them (3) is asleep on a sofa with dh - also asleep! - and the other (4) is watching something on dh's phone - probably Barbie Hair Salon or some such ghastly rubbish she loves. However she's quiet as a mouse - anything for P and Q in this weather!

Mossfarr Thu 25-Jul-19 15:19:59

We took out our very grumpy overheated 2 yo to Ikea this morning. She screeched her head off and did the full 'terrible twos' tantrums - including throwing herself on the floor! Most of the other customers just smiled or gave us knowing nods. She played with the toys for a while which was a relief until we had to take them off her!!
Thankfully she went straight for a nap when we got home so we are just resting until she wakes and starts again!

KatyK Thu 25-Jul-19 15:21:51

We are frazzled in Birmingham.

EllanVannin Thu 25-Jul-19 15:36:36

Heavy skies here in the NW and thundering ----no rain as yet but not far away I'm guessing.

Charleygirl5 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:51:53

DanniRae it is 35C here in NW London and creeping up to 37C I believe.

Next week I will be moaning because I am cold.

I must bring in the washing as it must be frazzled by now.

nonnasusie Thu 25-Jul-19 16:01:37

It's 5:00 here and it's just getting cool enough to go for a swim! Dropped to 38c on back porch.

annsixty Thu 25-Jul-19 16:14:36

Decking patio in the top left hand corner of the garden where it catches the last of the evening sun is registering 42degrees.
Just outside of the kitchen door which has been in shade since about 1pm it is 32 degrees.
I even cancelled my afternoon out with a friend as I didn’t think it was wise to be out in it.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Jul-19 16:26:29

Love this weather and what an excuse for doing even less than I do. Had a very long cycle ride yesterday which was lovely so I slept really well last night. Today, all windows open, a fig tree shades our patio and back window from the sun and all is quiet. Spent the day just reading and drinking. Cauliflower cheese (from the freezer) with ham and crusty bread for our meal.

blossom14 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:38:33

joannapiano we have a boiler service tomorrow, I have just mentioned to DH that the radiators will be tested. grin He has gone off for a cold shower.

DanniRae Thu 25-Jul-19 16:45:49

PS. From SE London: The rain didn't last!

sharon103 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:47:04

Boiling hot in Northamptonshire and all curtains closed and fan on. I did nothing yesterday except cook dinner and wash up and catching up on Gransnet. The same for today other than making something light for dinner. I'm glad I did top to bottom housework over the weekend. Roll on tomorrow for lower temperature as I don't care for the heat at all. As my auntie used to say 'I feel like a bit of chewed string'.

Maggiemaybe Thu 25-Jul-19 16:51:57

I had new glasses to pick up this morning so we did a very slow trawl round town, bought a few bits, then decided to go to the pictures while we were there. It was so wonderfully cool we sat through the worst film we've seen in a long time rather than walk back out into the heat bath (The Hustle, in case you want one to avoid grin). I'm now staying in as it's just too darn hot out there. We're off to the local pub for tea instead of cooking - I just hope their aircon is working well! It's a bit cooler now but still 34 degrees (West Yorkshire).

BBbevan Thu 25-Jul-19 16:59:46

Very warm here today. Helping a friend who has a fundraising garden party in her garden. Fortunately her garden, as well as being beautiful, is very very shady.

travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 16:59:55

annsixty our bowling match was cancelled too 'Heat stopped play@ as opposed to rain for a change.smile.

bikergran Thu 25-Jul-19 17:12:53

Rumbling of thunder here and rain starting to patter North Lancashire...oooohhh its pelting down!! wooohooooooo,, got all doors open. Hmm...don't think it will last long but it sounds and feels good smile

seacliff Thu 25-Jul-19 18:33:48

The local boxercise class in the village hall was cancelled tonight. Makes me feel faint thinking about it.

Just got back from a quick shop. Lots of fruit and salad etc, plus pork pies and cold meat for OH, and some lemon sorbet for me.

Tomorrow our Uke group is performing mid afternoon at a local show. Hope it is cooler then, it may be pouring with rain. I must try and find my fan (old style paper)

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:48:35

In the garden at about 7.00am it was perfect, a really beautiful morning, by the time I got to work the temperature seemed to be soaring, generally quite cool there, but not today, got home late afternoon to find my daughter and her friend, and all their children in the big paddling pool, I felt like joining them, started to rain here for about five minutes, stopped again now

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 19:38:17

Still hot here, in the garden, only ventured out once, to cut some courgettes, then dived back into the cool house.