Gransnet forums

Chat

Fowl play?

(10 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 19:14:29

Moy Park who supply Tesco and Sainsbury's have thousands of cooked chicken carcasses piled up outside their warehouses after the formerly live birds died in sweltering temperatures.

Workers had to transport the rotting birds in wheelbarrows, making innumerable trips...but they haven't yet disclosed the final destination of the bodies.

I wonder if that article will turn more people towards vegetarianism or a vegan way of life...

It beggars belief that police (actually, a member of the public, as the PC wasn't strong enough to effectively use her baton or the hammer passed to her by an onlooker) broke the window of a car to rescue a dog left (as reported today) in 66° heat but workers fail in their duty of care to fowl in the food chain.

merlotgran Mon 29-Jul-19 19:24:39

Like many other I'm sure, I was horrified when I read the report but it won't make me change my habit of eating meat occasionally.

Prosecution will hopefully be the conclusion to this terrible incident.

merlotgran Mon 29-Jul-19 19:26:44

Isn't the thread title a bit flippant? hmm

Luckygirl Mon 29-Jul-19 19:35:53

This happened some years ago at a turkey farm near us - the stench was beyond all belief and was like a cloud of the whole area for a long time while the carcasses were shovelled up and disposed of.

Hopefully this horrible breach of humane rules will be dealt with.

Urmstongran Mon 29-Jul-19 19:47:59

Moy Park describes itself as the 'European Food Company of Choice' and was even awarded a top environmental management certification last September.

M0nica Mon 29-Jul-19 19:54:54

The simple answer is buy meat from local small businesses, preferably organic.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 20:10:29

Moy Park also supply Ocado.

If you google them you will find other instances of mistreatment.
So much for the 'Red Tractor' logo, which is supposedly a world leading farm and food assurance scheme for consumers looking for British food and drink they can trust.

Grammaretto Mon 29-Jul-19 20:21:54

Poor chooks. If any good comes from it, more people will wake up to the abysmal lack of animal welfare in this world and think twice before buying or eating meat without knowing its provenance.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 21:29:51

Yes Merlotgran it might be viewed that way but it encapsulates the meaning of the topic.

Certainly not meant to be flippant, not by a long chalk but I rejected the first title I thought of which could have referenced any topic.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 21:35:10

I wonder if those workers who removed the carcasses, wore protective clothing and cleaned and sprayed the areas and wheelbarrows with strong disinfectants and bleach afterwards.