Gransnet forums

Chat

re-waterproofing jacket

(8 Posts)
fizzers Wed 31-Jul-19 12:13:50

I have a lightweight showerproof jacket - ideal for this hit and miss weather, It's been washed a couple of times according to the washing instructions, however it is now not the slightest bit showerproof.

Has anyone successfully used those waterproofing sprays on such a jacket? did it work? I've seen a few such sprays on Amazon/Ebay and thought I'd check first before ordering

Firecracker123 Wed 31-Jul-19 12:27:57

I use Nikwax for my Paramo walking gear it's excellent but only for certain fabric you would need to check.

Bordersgirl57 Thu 01-Aug-19 07:56:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pittcity Thu 01-Aug-19 08:14:21

I use the Nikwax that you use in the washing machine...a lot less messy and it works! You can get other brands online or from shops like Millets.

Squiffy Thu 01-Aug-19 11:17:54

Nikwax user here, too! I use the spray-on type. I've found that it's OK to use the one for tents etc on clothing, even though it's not recommended. The tent one is half the price!

Nannarose Thu 01-Aug-19 11:36:57

I too like the Nikwax that you can wash in, and think ti is excellent on 'lightweight' fabric - you can't really use it on a thick interlined jacket.
I have a fabulous waterproof lightweight jacket that rolls down into a tiny space - 10 years old now, kept going with Nikwax (though I might realy only describe it as 'water-resistant' now)

Vonners Fri 02-Aug-19 11:25:07

Def Nikwax. I use their TX-Direct wash-in as mentioned by Firecracker 123.
I've used it in the machine for Paramo jacket and trousers and also for an inexpensive roll up showerproof jacket I got in The Original Factory Shop (TOFS).

Grannyknot Fri 02-Aug-19 12:15:19

I bought washing liquid for waterproof clothing at Waitrose - not sure whether it protects or enhances.

I've also used Nikwax successfully - the use-in-the-washing machine one.