Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking like a twerp

(80 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Wed 31-Jul-19 23:24:23

Anyone else made a fool of themselves today ? I went out for lunch with a friend and put on a new cardigan just before I left the house. When I got home I took it off and found to my horror there was a big sticker on the back of it. Saying SOFT TOUCH.

Grandma2213 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:58:29

I have had such a good laugh at this thread!!

When I was 60 my workmates organised a celebratory meal out. I had never had a 'do' like this before. One of my managers came with her husband who wished me 'Happy Birthday'. Never having been in this situation before I wished him 'Happy Birthday' back. His face was a picture. Luckily I had never seen him before not ever again since but I still cringe with embarrassment when I think of it. blush

moggie57 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:43:03

haha nice one.

BradfordLass72 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:34:05

Merseybelle2 You naughty girl! You've made me laugh so much I spit all over my computer screen. grin

Compared to 'Still dead?" my experience is nothing but I'll tell it anyway.

I was at a very posh 'do' in one of Auckland's 5 star hotels, to celebrate a milestone birthday for one of NZ's famous, national treasures.

Before dessert was served, I left the banqueting hall to find the loo and as I can no longer read the signs on doors, looked for the 'Disability' symbol.
So having seen it, I went in, chose a cubicle and availed myself of the facilities.

I came out to wash my hands and saw several people, some with long, glossy dark hair, at the washbasins

'Isn't this a wonderful evening?' I gushed.

It wasn't until they replied that I realised these were
young men and those were not washbasins.

Merseybelle2 Thu 08-Aug-19 12:48:30

I’ve just come back from the chemist, and spotted on their counter some of those solar powered car toys. Without thinking I said to the young man behind the counter, ‘ Can you show me your nodding unicorn ?’

POGS Mon 05-Aug-19 15:23:11

wink

Merseybelle2 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:59:40

Oh POGS, I sympathise. I have always had trouble with my weight despite eating healthily. I think Newton might have had other things on his mind if he’d been in the vicinity of your giant bazookas. In fact you might have put back science several centuries if you’d been in the same space/time continuum.
Am off to ASDA now so am just making my shopping list - hot cross buns, prawn crisps, choccy bics, doughnuts, ice cream .......

Evie64 Sun 04-Aug-19 05:04:02

I work in a school. I was once talking to a parent who owed quite a lot of money for her child's school lunches. Reason? She'd travelled to Poland to be with her dying mother and the arranged and paid for the funeral. She was really upset on the phone about the fact that she owed so much money. I said, wait for it......... "Oh you poor love, please don't worry, I mean, nobody died"!!!! Aaaarrgghhh!

TwinLolly Sat 03-Aug-19 21:47:11

Family members and I were visiting dad in the chapel of rest and I noticed he had his mouth open.

Without thinking before speaking I said that dad looked as if he was snoring - and he'd surely wake the dead! blush

GillT57 Sat 03-Aug-19 19:29:35

We were very grateful for the efficiency and kindness shown by the undertaker when MiL died, and as we left the office, having thanked them and settled the bill, I said 'Thank you, hope to see you again soon'

POGS Sat 03-Aug-19 18:50:50

Funny posts, thank you all.

POGS Sat 03-Aug-19 18:49:30

Don't ask why because I haven't a clue how it happens.

I am what is commonly known as ' a big girl' and for years I have not been able to swim doing the breast stroke as my feet come out of the water and I nose dive and drown. confused. The weird thing is my boobs float like 2 buoys bobbing up and down in the North Sea if I am not on my tummy.

Newton would have come up with the theory of gravity where my boobs are concerned, sod the apple.

We have recently returned from a lovely holiday at Haven Rockley Park and in the pool my Granddaughter started laughing and said Nan your bazookas are floating. My costume was old and it had lost all elasticity and nothing was being held in place where it should be.

Not a pretty sight.

gillybob Sat 03-Aug-19 16:34:51

OMG like the moaning thread I have never laughed so much in ages ?????

SirChenjin Sat 03-Aug-19 16:17:40

Cool I know it’s not funny but I’m afraid that made me giggle. It’s those moments that come at the very saddest times which help us get through the dark days as we remember the person we’ve loved and laughed with thanks

Tea and cake Sat 03-Aug-19 15:15:52

I laughed out loud at these but my favourite has to be Still Dead? I can just imagine myself saying that ?

Merseybelle2 Sat 03-Aug-19 08:54:07

Coolgran65 - How lovely she had such a wonderful family with her when she passed ! And I’m sure she would have had a good laugh over that as well, God Bless her x

Coolgran65 Fri 02-Aug-19 23:56:51

The one who leaned on the bed control did feel a bit of a twerp.......

Coolgran65 Fri 02-Aug-19 23:55:11

After a long fight against cancer my sis in law S died aged 50 in the hospice where she had been 'sleeping' for two weeks. Eventually she slept away. She was also my great friend. It was midnight. My brother was in the room with her. In the family area was myself and my dh, S's sister and her dh who had travelled from another country, and another very close friend of S.

My brother came to us and said to come and see S. He was calm and coping. We went into S's room, someone on staff made tea and told us to take all the time we wanted. Even showed us a relaxation room should one of us want to have a nap. They were wonderful. We had all been making sure S had been having gentle company and talking to her, Medical staff had told us she could possibly still hear us. We'd been there trying also unsuccessfully to encourage my brother to go home for a couple of hours sleep, he napped where he could. So we were all pretty exhausted.

As we sat around the bed with S we talked of previous times, it was sad and yet we felt lighter because S was at peace. There were even a few laughs among the tears.

One of us asked of the others, were we being disrespectful. My brother said absolutely not, that S would have appreciated the company smile

One of us was standing at the bottom of the bed leaning on the foot of the bed rail. Next thing we heard a low sound and slowly S sat up as the head of the bed lifted. They'd only gone and leaned on the bed control.

The atmosphere was amazing. In a split second we all went from being horrified to realising how funny S would have found this. Thankfully my brother felt the same and felt it was a perfect moment.

And so it was.

SparklyGrandma Fri 02-Aug-19 23:07:44

DoraMarr Enjoy he he he!

SparklyGrandma Fri 02-Aug-19 23:00:27

Still dead he he he.

Juliet27 Fri 02-Aug-19 22:53:08

I wrote to a friend that her mother still looked really good for 90....then remembered with horror that she was only 80!

Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 21:52:37

mumofmadboys - that is so funny !

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Aug-19 21:16:08

When I was doing a surgery when the kids were young one of my first patients was an old lady. I was taking her blood pressure and accidentally said 'give mummy your arm"! Fortunately she was deaf and missed my comment!!

puppytoe Fri 02-Aug-19 21:09:09

I have been known to turn up for mine or the childrens' appointments for March a month early in February. Same date, same day of the week!

instagran Fri 02-Aug-19 20:55:07

Not today but a few years ago, I went to a nearby Boots in my lunch hour to get a couple of things.

After about ten minutes I found myself outside, on the pavement with the wire basket still on my arm but without having paid anything!

In the basket were about four things, all stolen!

I was panic stricken - what to do? Dump the loot and make a dash for it, or woman up and go confess? I decided on the latter; sauntered back in and unbelievably no-one had noticed anything, so I just went through the checkout as usual, without a tap on the shoulder.

I have walked out of the supermarket with a folded newspaper tucked under my arm acquired early on during my first lap of the store.

flaxwoven Fri 02-Aug-19 18:55:51

Went swimming, got out of the pool into the showers, then realised I had left my towel at home. Made do with bits of toilet paper and tissues!