Gransnet forums

Chat

When did that happen.......?

(12 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 01-Aug-19 14:42:38

Probably like most GNs I have always been able to "multi-task" - do one thing whilst thinking about another - however it would appear no longer!

Today would have been DH's 71st birthday so I got the car out to go to the cemetery, at the same time thinking about the various other things I needed to do today, got to the top of the drive when I realised I didn't have the bag containing the gloves, cleaning cloth and water bottles - it was still on the hanger next to the entrance of the garage! I was also halfway to the cemetery when I realised I had left my phone in the kitchen!

I'm sure I never used to be like this - although I have to admit I have managed to lock myself out of the house a couple of times (fortunately neighbour has a key!)

EllanVannin Thu 01-Aug-19 15:50:11

I think we sometimes get ahead of ourselves so we must now do and think of one thing at a time. There's no rush.

SirChenjin Thu 01-Aug-19 15:52:37

Oh dear - I'm 'only' 50 and that's happening to me a lot these days!

Sorry, what was the question again?

Day6 Thu 01-Aug-19 15:58:33

I now have to have a mental check list before I go through the front door because I always seem to forget something when I go out.

It's - "Purse, phone, sun-glasses, specs, house keys, car keys, pen, tablets."

I keep spare reading specs, a pen, a note pad, old basic sun-glasses, a silver foil strip of the tablet I HAVE to have regularly and a brolly in the car now.

And tissues.

And a shopping bag.

I fondly remember the days sunseeker when I could go out confidently. It seems more difficult and annoying if I forget things now, somehow.

Oh, add a flask of water to that list. See?

Squiffy Thu 01-Aug-19 16:32:29

My excuses are that a) I didn't register in the first place whatever it was that I should have remembered and/or b) If I think of something that I need to do, my brain interprets that as having done it. Now, where was I . . . . .

Nortsat46 Thu 01-Aug-19 17:02:21

Oh Sunseeker could it be that you were more preoccupied than usual, given the day and your destination...
Sending you good thoughts ?

I do understand the absent minded concerns. We were leaving the house for work, not long ago and my partner said 'Are you ready to go?' as I stepped out of the front door. 'Of course', I replied, a bit irritated. He began staring at my feet and I then saw I was wearing my furry hippopotamus slippers to the office ...

tanith Thu 01-Aug-19 17:11:28

I can’t remember the amount of times we left the house only for DH to turn the car around having forgotten his teeth ?

Still makes me smile remembering.

petra Thu 01-Aug-19 17:25:09

Am I the only one who has post it's on the front door?

midgey Thu 01-Aug-19 17:25:17

Ha ha Tanith, we have had to do the same many times!
Apparently if you go through a door you may well forget whatever it was you were trying to remember. I must have a lot of doors in my housegrin

Sussexborn Thu 01-Aug-19 17:39:12

When OH was working odd hours I put a list by the front door lock with all of the likely things he might need. I was only thinking yesterday we could do with a similar list to jog our memories.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Aug-19 18:01:28

Petra I am known for sticking lists on our door.......obviously not for me ????????

TwiceAsNice Thu 01-Aug-19 18:03:04

Always have an umbrella, spare shopping bag and tissues in the car, also a phone charger as I sometimes use phone as a sat nav.

Have spare glasses and door key at daughters and hope I remember everything else