Gransnet forums

Chat

Scam Visa Call

(25 Posts)
petra Wed 30-Oct-19 08:38:26

I would urge people who use Amazon to remove their credit/debit card after every purchase.

It only takes less than a minute to put it back on at your next purchase.

They can hack into your Amazon a/c but if your cards not there, they'r stumped.

Nonnie Tue 29-Oct-19 17:22:45

Beckett the Amazon one was talked about on R4 this week, apparently many people have been fooled by it. The convince people to let them download software and get them to log into their bank account to show they have given a rebate. Of course they then have login details so take what they like. Interestingly, just this week my bank has started sending me a code every time I log on. Pesky nuisance but I understand why.

WishIwasyounger Tue 29-Oct-19 17:18:00

I don't believe the number of people still being taken in by these scams. Someone was on the radio the other day saying they'd lost £24,000. Surely with all the publicity on the radio and newspapers, people should know better?

Beckett Tue 29-Oct-19 14:23:32

I had the Visa scam call the other day - sounded like a computer generated voice. Another I received claimed to be from Amazon Prime stating they were "renewing" my subscription (I don't have an Amazon Prime subscription).

I automatically assume any calls from people I don't know are a scam and hang up.

JenniferEccles Tue 29-Oct-19 14:03:42

The thing to remember with these scams is if we phone, say a bank to double check if the call really was a scam we must call from a different phone .

Some of these scammers are able to keep the line open with a dialling tone so you are not speaking to the bank at all but still connected to the crooks.

Of course a different voice would answer.

Maggiemaybe Tue 29-Oct-19 13:53:06

A friend of mine was caught out by someone ringing to say that her IP address was compromised. She let them access her computer and it was only when she realised they were trying to get hold of passwords/accounts on there that she came to her senses and hung up on them. They left a nasty virus on her computer for her pains, which she'd to pay a technician to get rid of. She's a lot younger than me and usually very savvy, but had recently lost her husband and wasn't thinking straight. They're such bastards.

crazyH Tue 29-Oct-19 13:28:39

Daughter had this call just yesterday and the silly girl transferred £1500. She soon realised what she had done and rang the Bank immediately - they are sorting it.

I never answer any number I don't recognise.

SammyBHall Tue 29-Oct-19 13:19:27

scam-numbers.co.uk/ Oops sorry posted the link wrong.

SammyBHall Tue 29-Oct-19 13:18:44

There are so many of these calls at the moment. I get them nearly every single day! I always check the numbers on this website: [https://scam-numbers.co.uk/] I also learnt on here that even if you get a call from a real number it can also be a scam as they can now clone the numbers so it looks like it really is your bank calling you but actually it is a scammer! It's hard to keep up with all this but it advises on how to protect yourself. For instance, if your 'bank' rang from the banks number and you think it sounds like a scam or are at all suspicious you should call them back yourself to double check. It seems like a lot of these horrible people target the elderly sad

Nonnie Fri 02-Aug-19 11:24:29

Interesting thought, we are changing phone supplier today, wonder if the calls from 'TalkTalk' will stop!

Nonnie Fri 02-Aug-19 11:23:51

DH thinks that if you press a button you end up paying for a very expensive call. I don't know, never done it!

Blinko Fri 02-Aug-19 11:15:47

We have an answerphone and call recognition. Any number we don't know goes to answerphone. Scammers won't leave a message...

henetha Fri 02-Aug-19 11:12:28

I had this yesterday and it alarmed me.... but I didn't press button 1. Something told me it was probably a scam.
I'm so glad to read this thread and find that it is. Thank you.

whitefrog632 Fri 02-Aug-19 10:08:01

Thank you for sharing this warning. We all know that these scams aren't new. They have been around for years. We need to be very familiar with how these criminals work. I have read hundreds of reports and warnings filed by people at sites like whycall.me since years ago.

blondenana Thu 01-Aug-19 21:48:48

I have had 2 calls today saying my internet is showing a problem, he said if you hang up we will call again and again and again,i hung up but wont be answering any numbers i dont know,said he was from BT

SisterAct Thu 01-Aug-19 20:41:51

Merlotgran I did check with Visa it was a scam as I had used my card that morning for a similar amount !
Visa said if u press 1 you are then speaking to a person who is very convincing and will try to get your details and to get u to log on to your bank. They said it was very professional.

Ngaio1 Thu 01-Aug-19 19:42:54

Bogus internet providers here too - Gloucestershire.

Purpledaffodil Thu 01-Aug-19 18:49:12

I use this site who-called.co.uk.

It’s completely free and useful to double check before you block a number. Quite appalling how many scammers are out there.

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 18:43:10

What happens if you press 1. Does anybody know?

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 18:39:33

I've had three calls today supposedly from my internet provider and telling me that my broadband will be cut off in 24 hours because my IP address has been compromised. They say to press 1 to be connected to a technician who will fix the problem.

I haven't!!

Soupy Thu 01-Aug-19 18:33:59

It's going the rounds here in Bucks as well. We block one number and then they come through on a different one!

wildswan16 Thu 01-Aug-19 18:28:38

I had this one for four or five consecutive days. They finally stopped. It is awful to think that some people are still taken in by these horrible people.

rubysong Thu 01-Aug-19 18:01:24

We've had this twice in the last couple of weeks. We assume if they were ringing about our account they would ask if they were speaking to the named person. We just put the phone down.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 17:58:04

shock Thanks for the heads-up SisterAct . Most of us do know about these scams but it's good to be reminded. Would be so easy to go and press the button without thinking.

SisterAct Thu 01-Aug-19 17:55:07

New one doing the rounds. Visa call saying someone is making a transaction of £600 press 1 to confirm DON’T