Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancient telly programmes

(146 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Thu 01-Aug-19 19:50:22

Anyone out there remember The Army Game ? My grandmother loved it that much she made us promise to put her cremation urn on the mantelpiece pointing to the telly so she could still watch it ! This was in advance of her death btw, just realised it sounds as if she commanded it via ouija board smile

Grandma2213 Tue 06-Aug-19 00:15:56

BradfordLass72 I am definitely not fickle! My heart is still a flutter nearly 60 years later. Thank you so much. wink

BradfordLass72 Mon 05-Aug-19 06:56:18

So many great memories (to say I've never owned a telly but my parents did)

These pictures are especially for Grandma2213 Clu Gulager and Robert Horton are the other handsome cowboys.

My fantasies were with Ivanhoe (Roger Moore - 1958) but Robert Horton took his place in my heart, fickle 13 year old that I was.

Bathsheba Sun 04-Aug-19 23:41:06

So many I remember, but some of my favourites were:

The Silver Sword
Ivanhoe
Take Three Girls
Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)
Just Good Friends
Keep it in the Family
The Flipside of Dominick Hide

Grandma2213 Sun 04-Aug-19 23:14:04

Lupin I was deeply in love with Jess Harper (Robert Fuller) from 'Laramie' as a young teenager. As now, I was a night bird then and because I was sent to bed early I used to spend the hours till midnight creating imaginary scenarios with him (of course also deeply in love with me) all linked in to Laramie stories. I recently googled him and oh..... I was so right.... he was gorgeous. I could not get a poster of him so had to make do with Bronco Lane (Ty Hardin) on my bedroom wall. He wasn't too bad though!

There are not actually many programmes mentioned on these posts that I don't remember. That worries me slightly as I did not think I watched that much TV. My mother did though so that could explain some of it.

henetha 'Bouquet of Barbed Wire' I loved it but had to miss the last episode as I went into hospital to give birth to my first son. I was gutted! No recording or second chances in those days.

SparklyGrandma Sun 04-Aug-19 12:27:58

Oo yes, All Creatures Great And Small....I have the boxed set, it is very dated but soothing to watch.

Shizam I especially liked Bonanza and most of those you mention.

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 10:14:07

So many of these I enjoyed.
Sara from page 1 - you can watch some of the episodes of Till Death do us Part on youtube.
And Radio - I heard Al Read on Radio 4 Extra the other day - classic.

Merseybelle2 Sun 04-Aug-19 08:49:43

lemongrove - I loved Ever Decreasing Circles, think it was the delectable Peter Egan in that.
BradfordLass72 - had forgotten The Plane Makers, think Patrick Wymark was the baddie in the film Where Eagles Dare, my DH Mr Magoo’s favourite film. God bless us but you had an early start today didn’t you !

Curlywhirly Sun 04-Aug-19 08:48:30

Gilligan's Island - comedy about a gang of shipwrecked passengers surviving on a desert island. As a child, I thought it was hilarious and loved it; watched it recently, it was so corny and not at all funny! Also absolutely loved the Beverly Hillbillies, which has stood the test of time, and is still funny!

BradfordLass72 Sun 04-Aug-19 04:12:44

The Plane Makers & The Power Game both with Patrick Wymark.

Callan - Edward Woodward

grannyactivist Sun 04-Aug-19 00:31:22

I called my first dog Bootsie - named for the TV character in The Army Game.

lemongrove Sat 03-Aug-19 22:19:58

We didn’t have a tv when I was a child, but now and then I managed to see something at a friend’s house, I really liked
A childrens programme ( drama serial) called The Owl Service ( set in Wales, from a book by Alan Garner?) I think I was a bit old for it, but enjoyed it anyway.
Later programmes I liked were:
Never mind the quality, feel the width ( probably would seem very dated now)
The Likely Lads,
When the boat comes in
Terry and June
Ever Decreasing Circles ( a bit like some GN threads ?)
The rise and fall of Reginald Perrin

sassenach512 Sat 03-Aug-19 21:36:32

Anyone remember 'Oh Brother'? with Derek Nimmo as a bumbling young priest called Newt?

I remember in the summer holidays I used to watch Robinson Crusoe it was in black and white but the music was good too. Also The Flashing Blade about a French musketeer type hero. Then there was the Banana Splits, Whacky Races and White Horses

grannybuy Sat 03-Aug-19 17:49:21

The Cedar Tree ( the 70's )
Family at War
I Married Joan

Anniebach Sat 03-Aug-19 17:30:42

Just Good Friends

A Fine Romance

Not early days but both were best of tv

Liaise Sat 03-Aug-19 17:24:57

The Beiderbecke Trilogy. (James Bolam)
Tinker,Taylor,Soldier Spy (Alec Guinness)

Liaise Sat 03-Aug-19 17:21:22

What memories those bring back. I wish they would put on 'It ain't half hot Mum' again. Set in India with Windsor Davies. Programmes today just aren't funny or interesting like they used to be. I don't understand alternative comedy or why there should be so much violence on TV.

Suzyb Sat 03-Aug-19 16:42:22

The Brothers
The Likely Lads
When the Boat comes in
Family at War
Wish me Luck
Howard’s Way

dani4 Sat 03-Aug-19 16:14:00

As a child I loved Circus Boy and Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

Nannyxthree Sat 03-Aug-19 16:01:31

Also just remembered 'The Rag Trade'. I think Barbara Windsor was in that.

Nannyxthree Sat 03-Aug-19 15:56:27

We used to have to watch a programme called 'All my Yesterdays' with my grandmother. It usually started off '25 years ago today.....' I've forgotten the name of the presenter, but think it may have been ? Ingram.

We watched 'Mash' and a dectective series with Peter Davidson called 'Campion' I think. He was also in a series about a group of doctors but have forgotten the name of that.

'All Creatures great and Small' I loved and 'Miss Marple' with Joan Hickson. 'Casualty Ward 10', 'Doctor in the House' - so many!

Ceejay11 Sat 03-Aug-19 15:18:54

Dixon of dock green
Comedies like Never mind the quality, feel the width and
Steptoe and son. We always watched Ask the family and Tomorrow's World (so much came true!!)

Daisydoodle Sat 03-Aug-19 14:06:00

Archie Andrews who was a ventriloquist dummy on the radio???
Muriel Young, children's presenter with Pussycat Willum

DanniRae Sat 03-Aug-19 09:14:00

My favourites were:

Man About the House
The Likely Lads and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
The Good Life
The Vicar of Dibley
and more recently:
Friends (we are just watching from the start again - recorded from the tv)

Sourcerer48 Sat 03-Aug-19 08:19:07

In South Africa TV only became available (black & white) in 1976.
The programs I remember best were:
Z Cars
Rawhide
77 Sunset Strip and The Hillbillies

Notagranyet1234 Fri 02-Aug-19 23:21:06

@HannahLoisLuke There are a couple of series of Bodies on BBC IPlayer. Its one of my favourites Jed Mercurio also wrote a series called Cardiac Arrest for ITV