Gransnet forums

Chat

Thread for those with neither happy thoughts or moans to convey

(88 Posts)
Gonegirl Sat 03-Aug-19 16:37:20

Grammaretto Sun 04-Aug-19 22:47:38

I am hopeless at indoor plants so very impressed by spike and his pals.
I do have a strange cacti type plant which produces one flower each year at midnight. By the next morning it's gone. It flowered on August 1st.

gillybob Sun 04-Aug-19 22:10:51

Oh thank you so much for that Mossfarr Spike is a very fine specimen indeed. smile

I love my Cacti although I don’t have a specific place to keep them so they are just dotted around the house and on the patio (when it’s fine) . Mine are all quite small compared with yours although as I said up thread a few could do with being repotted. I haven’t tried growing from seed (yet) but you have “planted” the idea. I do have a little “lean to” greenhouse in my back garden so might give it a go. Thanks again for the pictures I enjoyed seeing them. smile

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 20:45:00

wink

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 20:44:43

Rude lot. hmm

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 20:43:12

He was fully dressed when he went for the holiday money.

It was no dash to the clothesline. Just a little wander to ask Mummy wifey where he should get a towel from.

And there was definitely no flipping pointing!!!! hmm

M0nica Sun 04-Aug-19 20:37:40

Sat up late last night talking to DD, just tired today. Up to bed after this Gransnet session.

GillT57 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:41:32

Ok, Gonegirl I will ask the question that nobody else dared.....when your DH went to the Post Office for currency, was he dressed? (ref previous post about naked stroll dash to washing line to collect clean towel) We must be told. Maybe that is why you are mainlining chocolate cake?

Mossfarr Sun 04-Aug-19 19:28:08

gillybob,

sorry I don't know where the photos of the cacti went - I'll try again!
Its difficult to see their size so the watering can beside Spike gives some perspective!
The smaller cacti are in six inch pots and are up to about 8" tall.

Mossfarr Sun 04-Aug-19 19:24:13

Hi gillybob,

Spike and all my other cacti (and other miscellaneous triffids) all live in our front porch. Its quite large (when its empty lol) and because we get the sun at the front all day its like a hothouse in there! They overwinter ok in there too.

There is also a yucca tree which is over 7ft tall, a money plant which is 4ft high and 6ft around. They really need to go as they are outgrowing the space.

I gave a few trays of the cacti to local charities to sell and my Mum took great delight in giving others away to any callers who admired them - the postman, parcel delivery men etc.

Everyone who visits is asked when leaving " are you sure you don't want a cactus?" (grin)

gillybob Sun 04-Aug-19 17:59:43

What I meant to post ( before I read about Mossfar’s Cacti) was that I treat myself to a dress today in the Debenhams sale. I rarely wear dresses as I never really go anywhere to wear one so it was probably a bit of a waste of money . It was only cheap and it’s a flatteringly good fit which is unusual for my straight up and down non-figure.

gillybob Sun 04-Aug-19 17:55:53

Oh Mossfarr could you post some photos of your cacti?

I’m relatively new to this but can see it becoming an addiction! I have about 10 (so far) all still quite small although there are a few that could do with repotting .

Blimey Spike sounds fabulous . Where on earth do you keep him?

Mossfarr Sun 04-Aug-19 17:45:13

I've spent the day re-potting over a dozen cactus that I have grown from seed. They are about six years old so very heavy and fight back with a vengeance so i'm shattered now. Originally had over 80 when I first grew them (just to see if I could), gradually given them away to good homes!
I know its pathetic but I can't just dispose of them, even though I really do need to get rid of some.
Is anyone else the same about plants?
The oldest cactus is called Spike, he's over 30 years old and weighs an absolute ton! Can't lift him on my own so OH has promised to help when footie is over.
Roast pork for dinner, I hope OH will prepare the salad, I've no inclination to move!

Anniebach Sun 04-Aug-19 17:36:11

I have completed 2 crossword puzzles and 3 killer suduko , not boring or enjoyable

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 17:30:21

Prince Charles grows all our carrots for us Dragonfly. Apart, that is, from the ones he imports from Cyprus (which is a bit cheatie IMO)

dragonfly46 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:27:27

I managed to rinse the carpets that I cleaned yesterday but forgot to rinse. The pale grey in the living room looks wonderful. We were thinking of changing it but no more. It has had tomato pasta, red wine (twice), milk, chocolate and white wine dropped on it so really pleased.

Now to cook the organic roast beef that Prince Charles grew for me with my special Yorkshires.

Day6 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:25:31

Oh dear that should’ve been on the happy thread ! I’m getting really confused between happy, moaning and in between

grin grin In stitches here gillybob I know what you mean!

I am somewhere inthe middle of a range of emotions I think confused so ok to post here.

The cricket is STILL on, so for days I have been banished to the other room where I have my music, books, laptop etc. I think I quite like this little world of my own. Himself has just shut the door on me as my music wafting about the house doesn't go with his cricket commentary,

If there was an evil thoughts thread, I'd post that I have just turned up the volume.

Cherrytree59 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:22:08

Oh no!!!
I will turn them all around Toot Sweet Gonegirl

Oops best not mention sweets!????

Upright emoji ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:20:32

But I like moaning.

Gonegirl Sun 04-Aug-19 17:13:43

Cherrytree I have eaten far too much chocolate (brought back from Switzerland by DD) and your emoji has made me feel sick. ??

Cherrytree59 Sun 04-Aug-19 16:11:55

As this is a neutral therad would a ? be in order ?

Rewarded DH and myself with a cafe and a Chelsea cupcake,
after having to do a food shop on a Sunday due to extenuating circumstances school hols.

Managed to avoid the shite middle aisle, result ?
well didn't actually spot any must have 'useful' items ?

Grammaretto Sun 04-Aug-19 15:36:48

After 16 people for lunch, they've all gone, washing up done, I think I can sit down in a chair with my knitting and fall asleep
It was very nice but tiring.

My French helper has asked if she can be let off duty to sit in the garden and read. She can. Don't I sound like a harridan!.

Bathsheba Sun 04-Aug-19 15:28:25

Hmm, did that sound like a moan? Wasn't meant to be - I'm happy to be away from the kitchen, catching up with GN, so that balances it out.

#neutral

Bathsheba Sun 04-Aug-19 15:26:56

My hair feels all damp and sticky after standing in the kitchen cooking for the last hour or so. It's making me feel so hot and uncomfortable, but I can't be bothered getting up and going to find a hairband to get it off my neck.

#uncomfortablynumb

Squiffy Sun 04-Aug-19 15:12:57

Was interrupted by DH, who needed a paintbrush. That led to me tidying the drawer.

So does that mean that 1 negative + 1 positive = 1 neutral or do I have to post one on Moaning and one on Happy? Rhetorical question as I’m too lazy to do that anyway! ??

Oldandverygrey Sun 04-Aug-19 14:56:58

Had a lovely Service in Church today, it re-energises me for the coming week.