Gransnet forums

Chat

Advert ?

(14 Posts)
Sussexborn Wed 07-Aug-19 09:58:35

I just noticed my iPad had reset itself to US spellings. No wonder I’ve wasted time correcting colours.

I looked at the change advertisement but didn’t spot a straightforward choice. Will have to look again.

Quite disconcerting recently when my iPhone got linked somehow to my OHs. Now I am inundated with invitations to buy tickets for cricket, football, rugby etc! Could be worse I suppose!

blondenana Wed 07-Aug-19 09:43:32

I have been searching hair loss ,and i am seeing ads for hair loss shampoos,wigs and in fact anything connected with hair loss

MiniMoon Wed 07-Aug-19 09:36:27

I'm being urged to upgrade to eFax! I've never faxed anything in my life. Nor do I wish to go to Walmart for "tires".
If these ads come from my search history, they've got the wrong woman. ?

Elegran Wed 07-Aug-19 08:21:04

You can change your online ad preferences to either have random ads or have them "specially selected for your interests", that is, triggered by whatever you have been looking at recently.

Yes, they HAVE been spying on what you looked at, but they don't know that you are you, only that someone was searching for a certain thing, or reading a Gransnet page that mentioned something or other, and someone's computer has agreed to accept targetted ads. If you don't want that, change your options!

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 07:19:56

Esspee

It’s definitely creepy, you’ve only got to think about something, and up pops an ad!

Esspee Wed 07-Aug-19 07:16:05

I don't have an Alexa or anything like that. Could "they" be listening in through my tablet? phone? TV? ?

MissAdventure Tue 06-Aug-19 23:21:46

I keep seeing my own 3 piece suite floating past on an eBay advert. smile
Quite disconcerting!

nanny2507 Tue 06-Aug-19 22:06:38

to my right on here is an advert for kids wooden toys...they know i have no problem buying bits for my GD!

nanny2507 Tue 06-Aug-19 22:03:47

its your google or alexa...its spying on you ha ha ha

Esspee Tue 06-Aug-19 22:00:47

Dammit, the ad. has changed to one for comfortable looking sandals. I had a conversation about my painful heel earlier. This is verging on paranoia.

Esspee Tue 06-Aug-19 21:57:37

I've been talking about booking a holiday this evening and a Jet2 advert has appeared. Do you think my iPad is listening in? I haven't run any searches on holidays.

Jane10 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:51:00

Argh now its how to reduce age spots!
Once an advert for a firm of Istanbul solicitors appeared. Better than being smelly and aged I suppose ?

Elegran Tue 06-Aug-19 20:38:06

Have you been reading that thread on not washing?

Jane10 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:34:50

Just noticed that the advert at the bottom of my GN page is for a product which kills the 'Strongest Odours'!
Why me? What is my phone secretly passing on?