Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever used a family / frends.‘ in joke’ in public?

(16 Posts)
Callistemon Wed 07-Aug-19 22:56:53

I may try to remember that one!

lemongrove Wed 07-Aug-19 22:56:16

It’s on my to do list Callistomen so will get back to you.

Mossfarr Wed 07-Aug-19 22:56:05

My Grandsons who live in Canada always reply with " uh huh"

or "mm hmm" I find that very irritating.

lemongrove Wed 07-Aug-19 22:54:46

When we are out and about, if we encounter rude or indifferent behaviour in pubs/ cafes / shops, it’s a family joke to say ‘phazers on stun, Mr Sulu’ between ourselves ( from Star Trek) and I did once say it when out with a friend, who was bemused, but liked it, so said she would use it now too.
It’s also gratifying to imagine the surly shop assistant crumpling to the ground.?

Callistemon Wed 07-Aug-19 22:51:52

lemongrove
I apologise profusely, can you forgive me?

crazyH Wed 07-Aug-19 22:49:34

Both my toddlers (grandchildren) say 'pardon'. Different parents, different pre-schools.....so is that the 'in-word' so to speak?

lemongrove Wed 07-Aug-19 22:48:19

Well * Callistomen* you did say I was the fattest thing you’d ever seen, and you'd been on safari ! a bit uncalled for I thought.??

M0nica Wed 07-Aug-19 22:45:34

I usually say, 'I'm sorry I didn't understand/hear what you said' then the person knows exactly what the problem is.

I cannot remember when I last used 'pardon' this side of the Channel.

Deedaa Wed 07-Aug-19 22:40:36

I've always understood that "Pardon" is social climber speak while the upper classes actually say "What"

GabriellaG54 Wed 07-Aug-19 21:04:23

blush
Oops! posted before seeing your comment Blinko

GabriellaG54 Wed 07-Aug-19 21:01:53

quizqueen
Actually, the correct word to use if you are unclear as to what has been said, is what, not pardon.

Blinko Wed 07-Aug-19 17:13:57

I understand that in some circles, 'Pardon' is the province of the Hyacinth Buckets amongst us and 'What?' is deemed to be perfectly acceptable....

Callistemon Wed 07-Aug-19 17:08:42

I used one on here and unfortunately think I upset another poster sad
Obviously she didn't realise it was tongue-in-cheek.

quizqueen Wed 07-Aug-19 16:14:49

I refuse to answer anyone who just says, 'huh' or 'what?' at me, and continue to repeat, 'pardon' until they realise it's not that I haven't heard, it's because they have no manners!

I do this at work constantly and the amount of 'huhs' and 'whats' have reduced enormously. This is sort of a family/close colleague 'in joke' because THEY know why I am doing it.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:58:20

I remember tacking "please" onto the end of a grown-up's sentence while spending all day reminding children of that useful word.

And saying, "What do you say?" to another adult who forgot to say, "Thank you".

A friend of mine maintained his mother on one occasion said, "Excuse me!" to the bread basket when she reached across it at the table.

Daddima Wed 07-Aug-19 13:33:38

My friend was horrified to do this the other day! Amongst our friends we always use her son’s ‘ I joined that’. She has been so used to using it, she used it after lunch with business colleagues!