Gransnet forums

Chat

Priority services

(12 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 10-Aug-19 11:30:50

We had problems with our water earlier in the year, covering a fairly large area of the town. Lasted about three days. The water company delivered plenty of bottled water, plus regular written updates, and affected households were credited £50 on their bill. I was impressed with the service.

Luckygirl Sat 10-Aug-19 11:07:52

We are registered with our electricity supplier for priority services because of OH's PD and the cushions/mattress that run on electricity. When we had a power cut the other week, we were phoned to check we were OK.

Miep1 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:40:27

The water company sent 2 x 600ml bottles when they were digging up the road - for 3 days!

Teacheranne Sat 10-Aug-19 10:27:01

Well worth registering if you meet the criteria as these companies also prioritise such consumers with prompt appointments.

Many define priority as those with young children, elderly ( over 80 is the criteria for British Gas I was told) or with a disability/illness.

I registered my mother ( 87 with dementia) and myself (62 with severe arthritis) and although I have not needed any crisis type help, I have benefitted from next day appointments for non urgent things. We have also had specific times for appointments from BG for mum as she has to have someone with her when engineers call and I was only able to be there for a short time. They totally understood my problem.

M0nica Sat 10-Aug-19 09:52:06

We are signed up with the Environemnt Agency for Flood Warnings. Our village did flood about 10 years ago, fortunately we were unaffected.

Priority services are for those classified as vulnerable, and that category does include retired people.

When our gas main flooded last November and we were without gas for a week, we were offered the loan of electric heating equipment and a hot plate, but since we reported when the problem arose, and subsequent problems with the gas, we didn't need prior warning we were it! Now major gasline renewal is about to take place the relevant companies have already been in touch to let us know and give us helpline numbers

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 09:44:14

Speaking of priority services, I learned two days ago that I'd be guaranteed more or less immediate attention ( same day ) regarding a GP/Nurse appointment.

I wasn't quite sure how to take this, but not to worry as my appointments to see a GP are few and far between but it's always good to know that if you need their services there'll be no waiting just a phone-call and bob's your uncle.

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 04:11:06

More info.

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 04:09:47

Water was from Thames Water when they had a leak and we had no water.
If you cannot, for any reason, get to any of the very local distribution centres where bottled water is delivered on pallets (in this instance) then they will bring it to your door.
Obvs, most people can't carry lots of bottled water unless in a car. I had a number to ring if I ran out but their initial delivery was 24 x 5 ltr bottles so I didn't need more.
SSE delivered a portable generator and fixed it up in my utility room and brought a wand thingy of the sort used in the mine rescue in Thailand.
SSE are very very good and it doesn't matter who your gas or electricity provider is, it's down to who is your distribution network operator ie: the companies responsible for the pipes and cables energy to the area. You should inform your energy and water companies (the ones to whom you pay your bills) to check you are on their register as a priority customer. See attachments.

GabriellaG54 Sat 10-Aug-19 03:33:43

Yes indeed...all completely free, I can guarantee.

gransal Sat 10-Aug-19 01:28:23

I am with SSE and have never hadsuch customer service.

BradfordLass72 Sat 10-Aug-19 01:05:32

Is all this free GabriellaG54 ?

GabriellaG54 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:00:50

I received a text message from SSE about the amber weather warning for my area. I hope all GNers who fall into that category have registered with their gas, electricity and water providers who, in turn, notify the network companies.

They are undoubtedly a great help as I have found in the past.

A small generator was delivered plus a 'wand light and, on another occasion, 2 cases of bottled water delivered to my kitchen when a mains leak meant no water for 36 hours.