Gransnet forums

Chat

I thought life got easier!

(4 Posts)
KatyK Fri 09-Aug-19 22:34:13

Sorry you are going through this. I can remember when I was in my 20s saying to an older colleague 'It must be lovely to be older with less worries and everything'. She said 'Oh dear my love I'm afraid you are in for a shock'. She was right.

Tangerine Fri 09-Aug-19 22:09:52

Your DIL sounds very difficult.

I wish you luck.

Bordersgirl57 Fri 09-Aug-19 22:07:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanCake Fri 09-Aug-19 21:19:41

Struggling with what I heard termed as “ my new phase” or “new chapter”.
Well stuff all that - I hate it
This year my eldest son moved in with his girlfriend and so I officially became an empty nester - which was fine been praying he would move out for a while (although I suspect he thinks I was bereft)

My youngest moved out a few years before and is with someone who says she hates me and stopped me seeing my granddaughter for a year .... I was so ill and in the end had a heart attack in September last year .. we reconciled after I apologised for the sins of “buying her a Christmas present” and “saying I love you” (i do not recall) ... anyway resent apologising - but aren’t I supposed to be wiser and not sweat the small stuff? Well I do and actually feel like screaming and shouting at her but I can’t it is so frustrating having to smile !!
last week was my 25th wedding anniversary .. this week I found out my husband is on a dating website ?? I mean can you believe it ! I am still in shock and not sure what to feel.

But I do feel I have lost everything my dignity, my health, my children, my husband.. I always thought being a grand parent would be amazing and how wonderful to be married forever and know everything about someone and still be in love .. I thought I would be wiser and somehow life would flow (not for me) - getting older has turned out to be absolutely pants (to use my sons term) Whi knew !

Hope I am not alone in thinking being older would be rosier