Gransnet forums

Chat

When did everybody start taking ‘leave’?

(36 Posts)
Katek Mon 12-Aug-19 13:13:14

Just that really, as taking ‘holidays’ seems to be on the wane ‘Leave’ used to be something that was confined to the forces, just musing as to how/why it’s crept into other professions.

Fennel Tue 13-Aug-19 11:32:03

ps my husband has always been self-employed. On the few occasions he managed to take time off he called it 'holidays'.

Fennel Tue 13-Aug-19 11:29:56

I had annual leave in my job. OTOH Another one is 'taking a break'.
When we lived in France people often rang up to ask "Can we come to you for a few days for a break?"
It wasn't much of a break for us though.

Witzend Tue 13-Aug-19 09:39:38

I took leave from my job with an airline in the early 70s.
Holidays were what you maybe did when you were on leave.

I don't think it's a new thing at all..

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Aug-19 19:04:48

I worked for British Gas in the 1970's and we had annual leave back then and flexi time which was brilliant.

SueDonim Mon 12-Aug-19 18:50:25

My dh was in the Royal Navy so it was 'leave' in this house.

Locally, it's the Trades Fortnight.

My American GC have vacations.

CanadianGran Mon 12-Aug-19 18:49:51

Holiday vs Vacation
Here in Canada we mostly call it vacation. A Holiday is a special day like Christmas or Easter which everyone gets off (or is paid extra to work). I believe etymology from Holy Day.
I currently get 30 vacation days per year.

Nannarose Mon 12-Aug-19 18:42:41

I too think that 'leave' spread from the military and civil service through the public sector. I think partly that it covered other kinds of leave (see above) and partly it wasn't constrained by the specific timing of 'holidays', a term that spread from feast and holy days to be time off for the workers.
Many of us remember 'factory fortnight', which was definitely a 'holiday' and not 'leave', but when I went into the NHS I had 'leave' at different times of the year.

SalsaQueen Mon 12-Aug-19 18:34:53

My first job, in 1975, was with the N.A.A.F.I., and it was known as annual leave there. Then I went to work for British Telecom, and it was also annual leave.

I couldn't care less what it's known as, so long as I get paid for time off grin

Daddima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:59:20

I remember people starting to get a ‘ winter week’ many moons ago!

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 12-Aug-19 15:54:17

We took Annual Leave when I was a Civil Servant but when I took a job in the HR department of a bank we took "Holiday" which we applied for on the form headed "Annual Leave Entitlement" wink but was called "Holiday Form" by all team leaders.

Now I'm on my holidays 24/7. grin

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 15:54:00

I think it was always so in the public sector and has now spread to the private.

Gilly you are obliged to give your staff 28 days holiday a year so should give yourself the same. There is a reason why we need it.

Callistemon Mon 12-Aug-19 15:53:59

I've always called it 'annual leave' since I started work as that was what we applied for.
gillybob I hope you'll be able to retirenone day then every day will be a holiday (or not).

wildswan16 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:52:21

"Leave" takes in all kinds of absence from work - we can have sick leave, maternity leave, paternity leave, study leave, etc. I wouldn't call any of these holidays. I took my statutory annual leave to go on my holidays.

Katek Mon 12-Aug-19 15:34:37

Alima grin

Alima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:32:14

Holiday planners!

Katek Mon 12-Aug-19 15:30:09

So when organisations are working out summer/C****** absence rosters are they holiday rosters or leave rosters? Teachers/schoolchildren are currently on summer holidays, not leave.
Is there perhaps a regional variation here?

Alima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:08:00

As others have said I would book leave from work so I could go on holiday. Leave is time off work. You wouldn’t say “maternity holiday” or “sick holiday” would you?

sodapop Mon 12-Aug-19 15:02:05

Same here Jane10 always called annual leave in NHS and Social Care.

merlotgran Mon 12-Aug-19 14:56:47

My father used to take leave so we could all go on holiday grin

gillybob Mon 12-Aug-19 14:40:54

Oh what I wouldn't give for 2 weeks "leave" . a holiday would be even better.....

and just incase DH should happen upon this thread.... 2 torrentially, wet days in Cheshire does not a holiday make! wink

NotAGran55 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:36:17

I started taking annual leave in 1971 when I started working. It was rarely a ‘holiday’ , mainly ‘ a day or two off’ .

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 14:30:17

eazybee I think you are right. I am an army brat so, for me, it was always leave.

I think, now at least, when most people have more official time off work than in previous times 'holidays' refers to when you actually go away on holiday, as in 'where are you going for your holidays?' Time off taken for any other purpose is 'leave', 'I have got a day's leave to get some decorating done.'

JessK Mon 12-Aug-19 14:19:36

I used to work for the Civil Service and time off was always referred to as 'leave'. It was thought of as an absence from work and you might during this time 'go on holiday'.

gillybob Mon 12-Aug-19 14:14:54

I agree Tanith having a holiday is very different to being "on leave".

Jane10 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:08:58

I always had annual leave from NHS but I'd not use the phrase, 'I'm on leave, ' if speaking to anyone I'd tell them I was 'on holiday'.