Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could go back what would you be............?

(131 Posts)
Mossfarr Thu 15-Aug-19 11:26:06

I'm sure this has probably been done before but I find it fascinating.
In my career I worked mostly 'office based' in finance. I enjoyed it and was good at it but, given the choice now, would I follow the same path - no I don't think I would.

If I had my time again I would love to have been an architect or structural engineer. I developed a great love of construction and all the building processes when renovating our homes over the years.

I always ask friends this question and its really surprising what people would choose. It reveals a whole different side to them - in a good way!

Anniebach Thu 15-Aug-19 21:33:53

Why not Lisagran ?

NanKate Fri 16-Aug-19 07:42:54

Yes why not Lisagran ? Annie has as much right as anyone to comment whatever she says.

Harris27 Fri 16-Aug-19 07:55:20

I too married Young and had a family. Just did jobs to suit kids hours at school. Looking back i wanted to be a hotel receptionist because it looked glam. Reality though I think I would have to be a teacher. As I needed up being a nursery nurse and I love it. Good job though as I have to work till 66! Low pay but love the kids.

kittylester Fri 16-Aug-19 08:15:00

Lisa, annie has probably been reading the thread out of human interest, as I have, and decided to comment!

Grandma70s Fri 16-Aug-19 08:26:01

I would have made more effort to stay in London, before house prices made moving there impossible. I still wish I lived in the south rather than the north.

Otherwise I wouldn’t change much. I’m still very glad I stayed at home with my children rather than pursuing my career.

Lisagran Fri 16-Aug-19 08:49:02

Apologies Anniebach

Jacqui1956 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:41:01

I would have liked to have been a stained glass restorer, I did a degree in fine art, mucked around for a few years and then thought I will do a degree in nursing, the boyfriend at the time was a medical student. I was a ward sister for most of my career apart from 7yrs out as a medical rep. Everyone says what a worthwhile career but it wasn’t what I wanted to do. You get married have kids and the next thing you know you’ve got bills to pay! No I didn’t marry the medical student, I married the international manager for the medical company I worked for!

Daisymae Fri 16-Aug-19 10:42:22

Taller! Then I would have joined the wrens, I was filling out the form when I came across the height qualification. I would have had a different life.

BettyBoop49 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:42:52

Yeh!! Well said

BettyBoop49 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:44:24

Learn how to manage money
To save Instead of spend spend spend !

BettyBoop49 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:45:58

An Assassin like Villanelle

Gaunt47 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:48:47

BB49 - who would you have assassinated? Or is that perhaps another thread!

pce612 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:49:25

Endocrinologist

inishowen Fri 16-Aug-19 10:52:21

I too wish I'd been an architect. I spent my youth working in offices for architects, quantity surveyors and consulting engineers. It never crossed my mind that I could have aspired to being a professional.

Sheilasue Fri 16-Aug-19 10:53:38

Well leaving school at 15 and working in my offices till I had my children later on didn’t have time to think about it.
Now when I look back and think about what I could have been the most enjoyable time for me was working as a TA with primary school children I do miss it would love to go back to it but there is no fun in education anymore.

jaylucy Fri 16-Aug-19 10:54:01

Either an archivist or a genealogist.
I originally wanted to be a hairdresser but considering seeing hair in a plug hole makes me heave, not a good choice !

marpau Fri 16-Aug-19 10:59:35

Probation officer unfortunately life got in the way. Always wish I'd been stronger and followed my dream.

Nannyme Fri 16-Aug-19 11:00:34

Definitely gone to art school and not got married so young and probAbly not to the same man, I have made some disastrous mistakes in my life but I do have two wonderful daughters and great grandchildren, and I wouldn’t swap them for anything BUT there will always be the what if’s had I been just a bit braver when I was younger.

4allweknow Fri 16-Aug-19 11:05:04

I loved playing the piano and would have liked to be a concert pianist. Oh to dream, just wasn't anywhere good enough.

nettyandmasey Fri 16-Aug-19 11:11:13

A dairy farmer

Kim19 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:14:03

Nothing much I'd change career wise (financial arena) but I've always been intrigued by the vast potential being a librarian could have. Too late now but doesn't stop me wondering.

mrscake1 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:17:24

I would have liked to have done something practical like a joiner, plumber or interior decorator as I always loved DIY. Too late for that now.

Bazza Fri 16-Aug-19 11:18:04

I left school and went to secretarial college to learn shorthand and typing. I hated it, and wasn’t much good at it either, but as my mother was divorced my contribution to the household expenses were much needed. The pay was more than most of my friends were earning.

When I got married and had children I couldn’t face going back to an office, fortunately I didn’t have to as a lot of women didn’t in the seventies. No regrets there, I wanted to be home for my children as my mother never could.

Some years later we were having an extension built and had a JCB on site. I asked if I could have a go, and I loved it! I was a natural and I found it so satisfying digging foundations. I’ve always been a practical person, and I wish something like that was available for school leaving girls in the sixties. The only options for us who didn’t do A levels was office work, nursing, shop work or a factory or maybe hairdressing. How times have thankfully changed.

Pix5 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:30:41

I'm a therapist. I would have trained at a younger age and would have taken a different route.

Bellasnana Fri 16-Aug-19 11:31:52

I know it’s not fashionable to admit it, but all I ever hoped for was to have a happy family. I was not a career girl at all and only worked because I had to ( I was a nursery nurse and, later, a secretary).

At 24 I met the love of my life and my happiest years were being married to him and raising our four children. I didn’t expect to lose him so soon, but cancer had other ideas.

I wouldn’t change a thing, except to have had more time together.