Gransnet forums

Chat

Ponchos

(77 Posts)
Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 21:43:39

Has anyone got a (wool) poncho? Do you find you wear it much? Does it sit well over different clothes? I really fancy one, but not sure how much wear I’d get out of it? Like the one in the pic, but maybe teal or navy?

MamaCaz Tue 10-Sep-19 19:25:02

A couple of years ago, when I was regularly picking up two of the DGC from primary school, some of the mums were regularly wearing ponchos, so they have definitely had a revival. Very nice they looked too.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 10-Sep-19 19:15:04

Well done marydoll ?

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 09:42:29

Lazigirl

They are my favourite item of winter clothing, always on the lookout for new ones

Lazigirl Tue 10-Sep-19 09:38:58

I thought I was the only one with such an addiction til I read all these posts. I think they suit just about anyone, and yes do look good with jeans. I have three from Jigsaw, pale green linen mix, merino navy and a pale grey one. You can just roll them up and take them anywhere.

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Sep-19 09:30:54

I have a lovely heavy knit brown and black one with a collar and holes for arms. I love it as do my friends!!

Witzend Tue 10-Sep-19 09:26:54

Unfortunately the very word 'poncho' makes me think of the ghastly crocheted things that were popular in the 70s. Someone I shared a house with was very keen and invariably making one in garish colours for one of her luckless relatives. Though perhaps I shouldn't say 'luckless' - maybe they liked them.
I'm sure it was those things that put me off ever learning to crochet - unfortunate associations - although I've always enjoyed knitting.

Lisagran Tue 10-Sep-19 08:21:40

Well done, Marydoll! Glad you had a good break x

Humbertbear Tue 10-Sep-19 07:50:18

I’ve never tried them with jeans, but will now!

Humbertbear Tue 10-Sep-19 07:49:33

I have two ponchos like the one you describe. I rarely wear them to go out but use them as an extra layer in the chilly evenings indoors. They are very easy to pack and can be used as a shawl or pillow as well.

Marydoll Mon 09-Sep-19 22:54:39

Feelingmyage, I got four pure cashmere ponchos for a total 95 Euros. I could make a fortune re-selling them here! grin

MissAdventure Sun 08-Sep-19 22:36:25

I've found a lovely grey poncho in my wardrobe today.

Don't think I've ever worn it, but I'm going to once the weather changes.

I never wear grey, usually.
It'll match my skin.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 08-Sep-19 22:31:07

marydoll. Buy lots and leave them in the kitchen instead of cake ?

Sara65 Sun 08-Sep-19 20:25:21

I love ponchos, I wear them all through the winter, Have quite a few, and am always on the lookout for more, also have several lightweight ones for summer

Really snug, comfy and easy to wear, Love them

Marydoll Sun 08-Sep-19 19:16:41

Just wanted to update. I'm in Rome and searched everywhere for the cashmere ponchos, I've previously bought, but was told it wasn't quite the season for buying them.
Today was my last chance, as I'm going home tomorrow. I bought three and one for my sister in law at a bargain price because, " It's the wrong season for ponchos!"
I don't really care, as it's the right season here!?

annep1 Sun 18-Aug-19 22:36:43

Good news SueDonim. Should be plenty to choose from. ?

SueDonim Sun 18-Aug-19 15:09:37

Well, Gransnetters, it seems we poncho-wearers are at the forefront of this autumn/winter's fashion stakes! I've just read an article on upcoming fashion trends and ponchos are in.

They've been renamed, though, and to keep up we now need to call them 'blanket capes'. grin

mumofmadboys Sun 18-Aug-19 14:52:02

I have a teal one purchased from a market in Venice. I am very pleased with it but not sure it is hand washable! It only cost about £14

tessagee Sun 18-Aug-19 14:22:44

I love ponchos but just don't get the wear out of them as I don't drive and they're not weatherproof enough for wet/windy weather. I'm awfully tempted to try for another after having read the above posts, but I'm determined to resist temptation.

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 19:12:43

I have a really smart poncho, East label, virtually new, cost about £5, but I have never yet found an occasion to wear it. sad

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:31:01

Lovely lisagran ????

Glammy57 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:17:22

Haven’t worn one since the 70’s! Am about to start looking for one made from cashmere...?

annep1 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:10:34

Very nice* Lisagran*. I like the idea of colourful beads on top. Thanks. Will look when I get home.. I had a look at White Stuff online and their selection looked good. I'm looking forward to getting one..or two.....

Lisalou Sat 17-Aug-19 18:04:15

I have one, havent worn it for a while...might get it out in autumn...thank you for reminding me about it, Ladies!

Grammaretto Sat 17-Aug-19 17:44:30

It looks great on you!

Anniebach Sat 17-Aug-19 16:55:14

Love it Lisagran