Gransnet forums

Chat

Fun question - when did you realise you were getting older?

(133 Posts)
Vintagegal13 Fri 16-Aug-19 08:48:02

Mine is I am more excited to be going home, than to be going out!

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Aug-19 01:34:51

The first time someone called me a lady instead of a girl at the supermarket checkout.

When I was labelled a 'geriatric mum' at age 29!

Working in schools, the first time a child asked, 'Are you someone's Gran?' instead of, 'Are you someone's Mum?'

When I was asked by a child, 'Did you have electricity when you were young?' I realised we had oil lamps and a chemical outside loo till I was 6!! (and a chemical outside loo till I was 12!)

Also asked by a child, 'Did you know Florence Nightingale?'

When my baby DGS grabbed a handful of the loose skin at the back of my arm ....'Aaaaaaargh!'

When I came back from Tesco one evening to find DS at my house worrying because I hadn't answered my phone. I did forget my mobile!

Never mind DSs have bought me a flying lesson in a couple of weeks so all is not lost!!

mothertrucker52 Thu 22-Aug-19 00:02:43

When the 'reverse cowgirl' sex position started to hurt my dodgy hip

BradfordLass72 Sun 18-Aug-19 05:04:39

I don't think I have ever felt young.

My sister (a real good-time girl) used to call me fuddy-duddy when I was a teenager and would rather stay in and read than go clubbing or dancing.

I'm not that keen on alcohol; fashion was always too small for my sturdy frame; I've never owned (or wanted) high heels.

I prefer nature to any city or suburban life and a book to TV or movies.

I don't like music and positively loathe rock 'music' so growing up after the war meant I was a teen at the height of that particular aberration.

In fact I cannot think of one aspect of being young which appealed to me.

So maybe I was always 72 at heart grin

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:32:36

When I watched this year's Glastonbury to see my grand-daughter's fav singer: Billie Eilish.

Apricity Sat 17-Aug-19 22:02:14

I'm finding it rather disconcerting that my children are starting to go to their friends 50th birthday celebrations. How did that happen? My 50th was only a couple of years ago!

And I don't know whose hands are at the end of my arms. They appear to be some old lady's hands with age spots, wrinkles, osteoarthritis bumps and veins. She appears to enjoy her garden just like me. What a coincidence.

Bellanonna Sat 17-Aug-19 21:11:04

Having to pour boiling water over screwtop bottles H1954.
As others have said, not being challenged, or asked for proof of age, when at 60 I requested reduced-price entry to cinemas etc.
Driving up the road and driving back almost immediately because I’ve forgotten something, and hoping any neighbours who noticed weren’t the ones who saw me do the same thing a week ago.

H1954 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:37:43

When I opted for screw top wine bottles..............I was having dreadful problems getting the corks out of the traditional bottles!!!!!!!!!!! Lol ? ???

Grannmarie Sat 17-Aug-19 19:30:52

Also, when the Vouchers drawer, containing Groupons, Itisons, 5pms for nice outings, meals, hotel overnights etc, became the Hospital Appointments drawer!!

Grannmarie Sat 17-Aug-19 19:18:33

When the lovely Turkish waiters on holiday stopped calling me Darling and started calling me Mama...
When my younger brother turned 60...
When we had to give up DIY and get a man in..
When cold callers ring up about Funeral plans!

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 19:10:51

[gin]

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 19:10:31

Today it's the third time I've re-applied for my driving licence so that must mean I'm getting old. {grin]

Trixee Sat 17-Aug-19 19:06:54

When I lost a tooth and decided on an implant, was told that I had not got enough bone for it

Nannyfrance Sat 17-Aug-19 14:40:53

Not when I became a great grandmother but when I realised my son was a grandfather.

notanan2 Sat 17-Aug-19 14:32:30

When watching TV with DH: he cant hear half of it and I cant see half of it! Following a plot is now a two man job LOL

notanan2 Sat 17-Aug-19 14:31:05

Making vocal noises when standing up or sitting down

Accepting that I can no longer go camping: there is no SIM/air bed/roll bed that my joints can tolerate sad

Realising that you couldnt pay me to be young again grin once was enough! When young'uns at work talk about their busy dramatic exciting lives I am the opposite if envious, it just sounds exhausting and hard work to me now!

justwokeup Sat 17-Aug-19 14:22:33

I complained to the optician that my eyes had worsened since I had been working long hours on documentation at work. He looked at me scathingly and said, 'it's probably not that, you have to expect deterioration at your age'. I was 42 but he made me feel ancient for days! As others have said, the instant I gave up work even my family started treating me as if I was in my dotage. I enjoyed going to Kew Gardens though when the lady in the ticket office said, 'does your husband know he can get a senior ticket?'. We're the same age. grin

B9exchange Sat 17-Aug-19 12:49:14

We were talking about a friend at work who had just found a lump, and my younger colleage said 'If you found a lump, would you bother to get it treated?' How many years does she think I have left?!! hmm

storynanny Sat 17-Aug-19 12:22:45

When I needed reading glasses for the first time last year year ( 61)
When the ferryman didn’t ask for proof of age when I bought my first seniors ticket at 60.
When I stopped reading articles about the menopause as I’m way past it. I can still recall skipping those articles in magazines when I was younger as that age was so far in the future
Seeing the newborn photos today of my new baby twin boys and realising I might not see them become fathers

Calendargirl Sat 17-Aug-19 12:18:04

Having to ask GD to read labels in shop to save me getting my glasses out.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 17-Aug-19 12:00:03

To Jeanlizzie excuses are never needed for a cake, ever.

blondenana Sat 17-Aug-19 11:24:28

When other people point it out,or remind you can't do this,that or the other,because you are no longer youngangry

Kim19 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:00:55

Getting on the bus. Driver remonstrated with a couple of teenagers who were messing around. 'You might have knocked that old lady over'. I ran upstairs thinking, gosh, I must have jumped someone in the queue. Didn't see anyone else. TEN MINUTES before the penny dropped that he was referring to me. How stupid can one be?!! Still makes me laugh though. To see ourselves as others see us indeed!!

AnnS1 Sat 17-Aug-19 07:02:00

Another one I remembered is grandson asking if there was colour when I was young. He was fairly young at the time.

Framilode Sat 17-Aug-19 04:44:02

When I was talking about the various records the Beatles had made and my grandson asked 'What's a record?'.

BBbevan Sat 17-Aug-19 01:32:39

When I had to sit on the stairs to do my shoes up