Gransnet forums

Chat

Someone from the past

(5 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Tue 20-Aug-19 07:53:52

Grandma2213 It has made me wonder what it is that makes people 'connect' instantly and for life.

And it's something which puzzles me too.

I don't think I have ever met anyone, in all my 72 years of travelling, whom I feel is like me in any way.
Certainly not at school, nor college, or in any group I have ever joined.

I can get on well with people and enjoy their company but there is no 'connection' at all.

I was a real 'cuckoo in the nest' even in my own family. The only one who loved books, painting, philosophy, discussions etc., and it caused a lot of trouble over the years.

I'm used to it now and pretty sure I shall never meet anyone who understands what makes me tick - although my younger son comes closest.

He instinctively knows if I am troubled or sad (a psychic link?) and will ring, even though I have not contacted him.

'Everything OK Mum?'
He knew, even when working in the UK and I was here in NZ.

Grandma2213 Tue 20-Aug-19 02:03:17

I keep in touch by letter or email with only 2 friends from school, two from University and one from college.

Last month I met up with one of the school friends after 54 years. We are very different people and have had completely different lives but it was like those years had never been we were so relaxed with each other. It is also uncanny that she is friendly with one of my 2 University friends as she went to Uni with her husband! She visits them regularly though I have not seen them for 50 years!

Two weeks later I went to the Silver wedding celebration of the other university friend. I also knew her husband very well and went to their wedding. It was a potentially difficult situation as I knew no-one else there but amazingly I got on really well with all of her later friends too. Though I had not thought about it she commented that we had actually known each other well for only two years and yet again it felt like we were soul mates!

It has made me wonder what it is that makes people 'connect' instantly and for life. Whatever it is I am very grateful for it!

BradfordLass72 Tue 20-Aug-19 01:10:36

I have an old address book from 10 years ago and when I read this, just out of curiosity, fished it out, unthinkingly of course (why don't I learn?).

Couldn't read any of it. Haven't been able to read text for years, unless it is bold and backlit on my PC.

So that's what happened next GabriellaG54.

Mind you, I met many wonderfully interesting people from all over the world, when I was backpacking round New Zealand. Didn't keep in touch with any of them.

sunseeker Mon 19-Aug-19 11:09:29

I recently found an old address book - I didn't recognise at least 50% of the names!

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:02:15

This morning I was reminded of my book club reading matter and rang my library service for my pin number as I couldn't find my card (found directly after the call ?)
Sorting out the numerous cards in one wallet, I came across one from many years ago when staying in a YHA.

I was in a 4 bed room with a French
pharmacist, a Russian translator and a Swiss girl who worked for the Tourismusbüro Stoos, that's what her business card says.

All the girls were terrific fun albeit less than half my age and we spent over a week together eating and exploring.

I've Googled her name but the nearest comparison comes with her surname and a hyphenated add on...maybe her now married name.
I have her phone fax internet and email numbers/addresses and plan to get in touch later today.

I've kept in touch with the other two girls and went to the wedding of the Russian girl who married in London.
Have you found a forgotten card or phone number of someone from the past and what happened next...?