Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs that bring back unhappy memories

(105 Posts)
CaroDane Mon 19-Aug-19 23:10:55

Many years ago my now ex-husband waited until we were in a cafe at a garden centre of all places (presumably so I wouldn't make a scene) to announce he'd met someone else and wanted a divorce. The shock was unbelievable. We sat there in silence while the world went on around us. I have never forgotten the music that was playing in the cafe. It was Bonnie Rait - Can't make you love me if you don't.
How appropriate. I've always hated that song, and even now whenever I hear it, it fills me with pain and despair.
Anyone else have the same feelings when they hear a certain song ?

Kiwibird Thu 22-Aug-19 09:14:11

"I'll Say Goodbye to Love" by The Carpenters when I was going through a period of postnatal depression and in a hospital ward nearly 50 years ago. It was my L.P. but why did I keep on playing that particular song when it made me so very sad? It just made things so much sadder and if I hear it now on the radio it can bring back those same acute feelings. The human mind is such a mystery.

SparklyGrandma Wed 21-Aug-19 23:38:45

End of the Road by Boys to Men ?

SparklyGrandma Wed 21-Aug-19 23:37:28

Everything I Own by Bread, after first teenage love was thwarted by my being sent back to the U.K. for school.

And a Boys to Men song after a sad family funeral, it was on the radio as we drove home. The title will come to me!

mothertrucker52 Wed 21-Aug-19 23:26:37

I used to like "Free bird" by Lynrd Skinrd (speling?) until it was played at my son-in-law's funeral. Also Percy Sledge "When a man loves a woman" was a favourite of my husband's but to me it just illustrated the control he always exerted ??

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 22:48:43

I think you are right Riggie I chose some songs we both loved and now I can’t listen to any of them without breaking down .

moggie57 Wed 21-Aug-19 21:50:30

whats become of the broken hearted ,by jimmy ruffin ,kept playing in pubs when i lost my dad . he was 42 and i was just turned 16..2nd is james blunt singing your beautiful . was played as i took my daughter down the aisle to marry andrew(andrew died almost 2 years ago aged 37...) i have to leave the room or whenever its played..

Harris27 Wed 21-Aug-19 20:58:29

Aw these posts are so emotive!

seasider Wed 21-Aug-19 18:32:30

When my first serious boyfriend left me it was The Proud One by the Osmonds. When my ex husband announced he was leaving to "find himself" (which happened to be round the corner with my best friend ) a little known song called Radio Africa was playing. I call " A Different Corner by George Michael my divorce song as in the video he is in an empty room and myself and the children were in a house with no furniture!
A few weeks ago I saw Rod Stewart and when he sang "I would rather go blind" I burst into tears as I do when I hear Slipping THrough my Fingers. White Christmas gets me as my lovely mum used to sing it . I think music is very evocative .

grandma1954 Wed 21-Aug-19 17:52:56

On 24th November 2002 my older son argued with my younger son in my house. They were 22and 24 years old. My younger son was living with us at the time but the older one was visiting with his fiancée. My older son blamed my DH and I (no idea why) and has refused to have anything to do with any of us since. Almost 17 years since I’ve seen him! Playing at the time was Blue featuring Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word. I cry whenever I hear it.

Lilypops Tue 20-Aug-19 23:01:43

Yggdrasil, little Flo, Oh my Papa reduces me to tears too, my Dad died aged 54 , leaving three of us , I still can't listen to it , also Charmaine by Frank Chacksfield orchestra was one of Dad,s favourites , that makes me cry even now ,

Urmstongran Tue 20-Aug-19 22:46:34

I’m in bits reading these.
?

Drwatfam Tue 20-Aug-19 22:16:46

My " song that makes me cry " is Harry Belafonte singing " Scarlet ribbons ".
Mum sang it to me when I was a little girl and , when she died a year ago , the song I insisted having at her funeral was this . Usually , I hate secular songs at a funeral but we played this as we followed Mum into the church. It was just the right speed and rhythm and the poignant words , about a little girls answered prayers , were just perfect too . A lovely song for my much loved and hugely missed Mum .

Scrappydo Tue 20-Aug-19 21:42:24

Luther Vandross Dance with my father. Always makes me ?

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 20-Aug-19 21:03:30

Stand By Your Man: Tammy Wynette

After 15 years of emotional abuse, I left. He'd sing this song to my face.

bluebirdwsm Tue 20-Aug-19 20:02:52

...makes me cry with emotion though.

bluebirdwsm Tue 20-Aug-19 20:02:05

The Winner Takes It All by Abba...a bad break up which took me years to get over.

Time To Say Goodbye...played at one of my best ever friends funeral.

Circle Of Life...one of my mothers funeral songs, but oddly it doesn't make me unhappy like the other 2 songs do.

KatyK Tue 20-Aug-19 19:40:48

That Nilsson one has special memories for me too *Harris27"

Grandyma Tue 20-Aug-19 19:37:17

This Woman’s Work by Kate Bush was played at the funeral of someone very close and chosen by his daughters

Anniebach Tue 20-Aug-19 18:56:51

The Way We Were. Streisand

KatyK Tue 20-Aug-19 18:31:22

I also shed a year at The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics.

Harris27 Tue 20-Aug-19 18:26:02

Nilsson without you. I had just received a call to say my.
Brother had been killed in a pit accident and we had to drive to tell my other brother. It was on the radio as we started up the car and the words just hit me ‘ I can’t live if living is without you ‘ he was only 37 and he was my lovely brother. My mum had died when i was 3 and he was 14 . Still haunts me today that song.

grannyJillyT Tue 20-Aug-19 18:25:41

My sad song is ‘Time to say goodbye ‘ sung by Andrea Bocelli and Sara Brightman. I chose it for my Husband’s cremation. It was beautiful at the time even though we were all in floods of tears!

Aepgirl Tue 20-Aug-19 18:13:39

My ex-husband asked me to dance to ‘This guy’s in love with you’. Even though he left me over 15 years ago whenever I hear that song it brings tears to my eyes.

Foxyfred Tue 20-Aug-19 18:01:47

Yester-me, yesterday-you, yesterday by Stevie Wonder. Just released when I first me my ‘to be’ husband. Became our song. Sadly he died in 1985, age 40. Cannot listen to it without tears, welling up now.

BBbevan Tue 20-Aug-19 17:53:47

My Dad always sang ''Myfanwy' to my DD. She had a Welsh male voice choir at her wedding. Both my parents were dead by then. We had to ask the choir on no account to sing 'Myfanwy' . Otherwise there would be a sobbing bride. She cried anyway as they were not there.