Gransnet forums

Chat

The F Word

(100 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 20-Aug-19 08:41:24

What do other Gransnetters think? I am fed up of watching a film or something on the TV and we have the F word in so much these days it really gets on my nerves. Am I being a grumpy old woman here? I was always taught it was lack of command of the English language to resort to vile swearing and I really do object. Yes, there is the off button which we do use and I have seen letters complaining to the BBC or whatever and they say free country just turn it off if it offends you. But horrible swearing well it just seems so pointless and mindless. Turned one programme off recently, content was good but the outdoor presenter needed his mouth washing out with washing up liquid. But of course this is just my opinion at the end of the day. What do other people think?

Aepgirl Tue 20-Aug-19 18:08:50

I detest this unnecessary use of bad language. Just because there is usually a warning prior to the programme, why should we turn off our TV because the language is offensive to so many people.

CardiffJaguar Tue 20-Aug-19 17:56:58

Like it or not it is an accepted part of the lexicon. You can check that in the OED.

Grandma70s Tue 20-Aug-19 16:45:22

I didn’t hear anybody swear until I left school. At least, if I did I wasn’t aware of it. I first came across the f word in Lady Chatterley. I only knew it was swearing because there had been a lot of fuss about it. I couldn’t work out what the fuss was about, and still can’t, really. Who decides what’s acceptable? They are, as people have said, just words.

JenniferEccles Tue 20-Aug-19 16:41:28

If anyone on here ever looks at the Mumsnet site, it will soon become clear which generation is responsible for the increase in swearing these days.

TwinLolly Tue 20-Aug-19 16:25:48

My dad once told engineering work colleagues to stop using bad language while in the office and use better words to express themselves! He had had enough of "F this..." and "F that...". angry

Having said that - he did occasionally let rip with a cuss word at home! hmm

Us kids grew up not to swear "or else ....". confused

glammagran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:55:26

I think context matters. A few TV programs are shown where some swearing seems appropriate and others absolutely not. I don’t like hearing comedians swear for some reason. The only person I ever swear at is my husband (rather a lot sadly).

Janal1 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:32:51

I can't stand it either hearing it from males and females.
I also get fed up with presenters and people on some adverts that don't sound their t's,i turn certain adverts off when they don't pronounce the words properly.

inishowen Tue 20-Aug-19 15:21:55

I hate swearing but I'm getting so used to it I hardly notice now. Kathy Burke did a documentary last week about women. Her language was filthy. It put me off watching the next episode.

GagaJo Tue 20-Aug-19 15:15:39

Grammaretto They are not just words though are they? They have strong connotations, usually evoking sexual violence towards women. The C word, the T word and the F word. Then bast.. rd is another bigoted word.

Totally agree! BUT if you think of words, such as gay, dyke and queer, they USED to be seen as insults. But the gay community has reclaimed them and they no longer have the sting they used to. Which is why I refuse to see the C word as awful, because it describes part of my body, which IS NOT offensive.

It is no coincidence that two of the rudest words in the English language describe female reproductive organs. Because of patriarchy and our male dominant society which consistently tells us women are lesser than men. We have to resist this by NOT accepting these words as offensive.

Diane227 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:10:33

I watched Kathy Burke the other evening on her programme about women.
Every other word seemed to be a swear word.
It wasnt necessary and didnt make her seem either attractive OR intelligent.
Its a shame. I used to like her but shes definitely not a role model.

EthelJ Tue 20-Aug-19 15:04:04

I never use bad language but to be honest it never bothers me when I hear it on TV. Its only a word after all. What does bother me is violence, and racist and misogynistic language.

Nanny41 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:47:24

I hate the F--word and the way it is used these days,it seems a regular word popping up in all sorts of situations, it seems quite "normal " to use it without anyone reacting to it.

granny4hugs Tue 20-Aug-19 14:42:20

I am not averse to a well placed expletive and in a world where we have accepted so much abuse of the vulnerable even in the so called civillised West - should we be shocked by 'bad' words? On the other hand its kind of boring. In TV its often just desperate script writers who have run out of ideas but I've noticed some young folk seem to wait until you are in ear shot and then aim for a loud one. Do they think it will shock? I've often thought of turning to one of them and making a bet. If you cannot listen to a detailed account of the birth of my largest baby (10lb) without puking, you undertake not to use the F Word for a fortnight...

Grammaretto Tue 20-Aug-19 14:28:08

They are not just words though are they? They have strong connotations, usually evoking sexual violence towards women. The C word, the T word and the F word. Then bast.. rd is another bigoted word. Perhaps toilet words are the least offensive now?

kwest Tue 20-Aug-19 14:00:39

Doesn't bother me. When my grandchildren have expressed shock when they have heard random adults use it I say "That word has no power in your life unless you allow it to have, it is not aimed at you, it is just a word, ignore it."

Stella14 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:26:31

Oh, and just to add, I absolutely do not have a limited vocabulary!

Stella14 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:24:16

I prefer it to be used appropriately in TV dramas. By appropriately, I mean where it would be likely to be used in real life. I swear myself (not everywhere or under all circumstances). Did you know that research shows that people who swear tend to be less stressed than those who don’t because the act of swearing relieves stress!

Jane10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:17:45

They're just words. They don't bother me. I don't like to hear small children using them though.
I was interested to hear the extent that those words are retained at a deep level when I was a young speech therapist. I met a highly revered clergyman who had had a stroke affecting his language area. He swore like the proverbial trooper with real emphasis and clear communicative intent. I don't know what he thought he was saying but all that came out was f words and worse.

Nansypansy Tue 20-Aug-19 12:22:58

I’m not keen on the overuse of this word but do confess to having used it in extreme circumstances. The word I really loathe is the C word

Bijou Tue 20-Aug-19 12:15:19

I hate the F word which is used so frequently nowadays and any form of swearing. When I was five we had some workmen in the house and I repeated their words. My mother gave me a good hiding.
The only “swear” word I have ever found my son to use is “gosh”.

Caro57 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:12:09

Depends how it’s used. For some it’s an accepted part of daily language - look at the great Billy Connolly

RosieLeah Tue 20-Aug-19 12:08:57

I don't like it, and I don't like the mother-f....., which the Americans use. It makes me cringe.

I find myself watching the oldies more and more, no bad language, no nudity, no explicit sex. Why does the modern world find all that so necessary, and why is there this assumption that we all want it?

lemongrove Tue 20-Aug-19 12:07:03

Am afraid I said it yesterday after dropping a whole box of expensive biscuits on a hard floor!?

absthame Tue 20-Aug-19 12:05:26

It depends upon who I'm communicating with as to whether I swear or not. I never swore until I was in my mid 20s.

I will never forget how shocked I was 50years ago when I heard a 2year old using F*

Today it tends to be used so much that it's usefulness for many as a word of emphasis is diminished. I would be pleased to see it removed from common use.

GinJeannie Tue 20-Aug-19 12:04:25

Confess to using the F word when I’m driving! Alone, that is! Oooooh, it relieves all kinds of irritations and frustrations!