Gransnet forums

Chat

In-house magazines.

(14 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Fri 23-Aug-19 22:45:56

aggie
She can eat grapes.

www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/diabetes-food-myths/myth-fruit-diabetes

kittylester Fri 23-Aug-19 20:09:21

The Waitrose recipes rarely have ingredients that arent in most cupboards.

kittylester Fri 23-Aug-19 20:06:46

I pick up the free magazines wherever I am plus the recipe cards by the tills and Waitrose newspaper. I might not use the recipes but I get ideas.

One of our favourite suppers is 'sausage, potato and cheese thingy' which was a Tesco pull out.

aggie Fri 23-Aug-19 18:32:10

I snack on mini cucumbers from Lidl

aggie Fri 23-Aug-19 18:31:38

My friend has been advised to avoid grapes , seems they are pure sugar , and she has diabetes

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 18:25:27

Daisymae
Hi ?
I bought the grapes before picking up the mag on the way out of Tesco and I'm certainly not swayed by ads if it's not something I want or need.

They looked good value and I have already made inroads.
I eat lots of fruit and veg and grapes are good for snacking instead of crisps or biscuits plus they'll last well without shrivelling if I keep them cool.
Have a great BH whatever you're doing. ?

Daisymae Fri 23-Aug-19 18:04:06

Well Tesco marketing certainly worked on you! What did you do with all those grapes! grin

chicken Fri 23-Aug-19 16:00:37

Whenever I've looked at the Waitrose magazine recipes, they have listed ingredients that I've never even heard of, let alone had in my store cupboard !

SueDonim Fri 23-Aug-19 11:28:35

Some schools insist on logo-ed items which rules out chain store purchases for some, unfortunately.

I like the Tesco and also the Coop magazines for recipes. They're usually fairly quick and easy with not too many ingredients.

cornergran Fri 23-Aug-19 09:44:51

Same for our Littlest gilly, I was horrified at the cost. The other two go to schools where as long as colour is adhered there is no need to purchase at a particular shop for most items, less than a quarter of the price.

gillybob Fri 23-Aug-19 09:40:36

I wish my 2 DGD’s school allowed these affordable uniforms GabriellaG but unfortunately they choose to enforce a very exclusive and expensive uniform code. angry

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Aug-19 09:33:52

Tesco flowers have always been the best although Aldi are a good second.

Beechnut Fri 23-Aug-19 09:31:27

Chrysanthemums bring the autumnal feeling and remind me of my sister in law.

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 09:21:42

I frequently pick up the free magazines in Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose as they always have subjects of interest to most mums and grans.
One I collected from Tesco yesterday has plenty of cost cutting meal ideas, a nice section on breads and an interesting section on summer drinks, however, what really caught my eye was an article on Tesco children's 'back to school' wear.
Prices are amazing and the materials incorporate new technology to stop fading in the colours and keep white shirts whiter for longer.
The shoes are modern and anti scuff too (I deplore children going to school with scruffy clothes and dirty looking shoes) and I take my hat off to supermarkets who cater for mums on tight budgets who want affordable and hard wearing uniforms for their children.
Anyone who moans that they can't afford to kit out their offspring, especially the under 10s, could do no better than looking at the major supermarket players, as IMV, they're practically giving the stuff away.
All in all, the magazines provide a free and interesting read with that afternoon cake and cuppa. I just find it hard to throw them out.

Incidentally, Tesco are selling 3 varieties of grape in wooden crates for £3 and autumn crysanths in 6's for £3.
Besides other shopping I bought the grapes and a huge potted plant plus a smaller button crysanth and lugged home on the bus, all 3 carriers plus a back pack crammed full.
I was knackered.