Gransnet forums

Chat

What are/were your favourite cartoons

(87 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:21:03

When my sons were small, they used to love watching cartoons on Grandma's television.

Their favourites and mine were Krtek the Mole and the animations Camberwick Green, Chigley and Trumpton.

Who can forget Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb?
trumpton3.homestead.com/Index.html

Then came The Herbs (with dear old Parsley the Lion)
and The Magic Roundabout (originally Le Manège enchanté).

But best of all there was Morph who was adopted in 2016 by Aardman for a whole new series.

What are or were your favourites?

tidyskatemum Tue 27-Aug-19 21:04:10

DD loved Dungeons and Dragons. We used to go out for a walk and have to run home so we wouldn’t be caught by Venger. She was also a great fan of Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds and good old Postman Pat.

HildaW Tue 27-Aug-19 19:41:01

Can also remember a sweet Pirate one when DD was young.....all they ever said was 'Ahoy' no matter what they were up to...it was very gentle and made us all smile.

GeminiJen Tue 27-Aug-19 15:47:10

Anyone remember The Bumblies?
1950s TV programme, devised by Michael Bentine. Seem to remember that it didn't last long....but I loved it grin

Grannyguitar Sun 25-Aug-19 19:25:29

Will O The Wisp. Mavis Cruet and Evil Edna were wonderful!

BradfordLass72 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:10:36

Tillybelle

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.....

oldgimmer1 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:43:13

Wacky Races.
Tom and Jerry.
SpongeBob Squarepants. blush.

Are the Woodentops etc cartoons, though? Animations, yes, but cartoons? confused.

Just curious , not goady. smile

Tillybelle Sun 25-Aug-19 10:30:43

I really loved "Listen with Mother" on the radio. They sang so beautifully.

BBbevan Sun 25-Aug-19 06:18:45

Foghorn Leghorn. No idea why.

Florida12 Sun 25-Aug-19 01:09:59

Bill and Ben, I used to be really worried when the gardener was coming down the path.
When my youngest was little, Pingu was all the rage, love Pingu, so naughty.
Whackey races.x

BradfordLass72 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:57:58

I forgot Felix - I loved Felix.

Tangerine Sat 24-Aug-19 21:53:38

Tom & Jerry

The Flintstones

angie95 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:51:14

The Wooden Tops , Camberwick Green, Wacky Races, Tom and Jerry, Droopy , Desperate Dawg, Hector's House, Andy Pandy, and as I got older Follyfoot

Caro57 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:39:46

Tales of the Riverbank; Rag, Tag and Bobtail - do they count?

Tillybelle Sat 24-Aug-19 20:23:04

Actually, although I rarely saw it, I really hated the Flower Pot Men. Who talks like that? Well they do I suppose. I thought, as a child of 3, that this was really stupid!
And Andy Pandy was a wimp.
Noddy annoyed me. Too pleased with himself.
And the Moomins .... what on earth? Oh I see...

Plus later I couldn't look at Rhubarb and Custard - gave me migraine.

But the Camberwick Green, Trumpton, Chigley et al. mob. Yes. Now they knew a thing or two. You could depend on them. Need a fireman? You'd be ok. That was grown-up stuff. Real village and town life that was. True to life.
We still sing as my DD1 used to: "Here coms the Policeman, The big friendly Pop Pleece man..."

Of course, we all know that The Magic Roundabout was for 18+ year old students who used to rush back from lectures to watch it ..... Ahh well my dears, I am off with Ermintrude now...

grannydarkhair Sat 24-Aug-19 20:16:32

My daughter and I always enjoyed Scooby Doo and Count Duckula. My favourites are The Flintstones, Futurama, Tom & Jerry, Ren & Stimpy and The Simpsons.

Tillybelle Sat 24-Aug-19 20:04:20

Practice

Tillybelle Sat 24-Aug-19 20:03:44

Whitewavemark2. OOOH! thank you! I loved Popeye! My Auntie had a TV and I used to go to her for tea on Friday after Brownies and before Church Choir Practise! Sometimes my mother even went there on other days and I watched telly then!! I grew up on Popeye. It annoyed my dad I'm afraid.

I have great trouble with the name Felix. Whenever I hear it still immediately say "the cat" in my head!

optimist Sat 24-Aug-19 19:56:45

Ivor the Engine was my grandsons favourite. He is 17 now.

Grandmama Sat 24-Aug-19 19:12:43

The first programme I ever watched was Andy Pandy at my grandparents' house. It was a Tuesday afternoon, I wasn't very old and I cried when the programme finished (so I've been told). I think Wednesday was the Flowerpot men and Thursday Rag Tag and Bobtail. Maybe Friday was the Woodentops. When my DDs were young we didn't have a TV so we missed all the 1980 cartoons. I think I watched Popeye sometimes.

Noreen3 Sat 24-Aug-19 16:47:04

my son had the talking Trumpton fire engine,it said fire! fire! call out the Trumpton fire brigade,followed by their names.

4allweknow Sat 24-Aug-19 15:39:33

My DD now deceased loved Chrystaltips and Alistair. 1.45 pm watch with motther.

GrauntyHelen Sat 24-Aug-19 15:37:26

Trumpton Camberwick Green Chigley Hectors House Mary Mungo and Midge The Herbs and Andy Pandy

vickymeldrew Sat 24-Aug-19 15:33:32

Barnaby the Bear !

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 24-Aug-19 15:25:32

I love Wallace and Gromit, claymation all the way for me.

floorflock Sat 24-Aug-19 15:21:56

Hector's House was an absolute favourite for me.
Magic Roundabout & The Clangers too