Gransnet forums

Chat

Bank holiday, yay!

(43 Posts)
humptydumpty Sat 24-Aug-19 13:15:10

Just off to Foodies Festival, hoping to see Nawamin (the Thai cutie from MasterChef) - fabulous weather, sunny, 28 degress. What more could you ask?

How's everybody spending the holiday?

Grannyknot Sat 24-Aug-19 21:10:21

Bikergran flowers to you and everyone who works on Bank holidays. I often go into my local faithfully open on Bank Holidays Co-op and I'm just so grateful to the staff who (wo)man the shop when I've run out of bread or milk.

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 20:54:10

Sara65 phoenix and Grannyknot how very kind you are. flowers to all of you working the Bank Holiday.

Sara65 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:46:00

Coolgran

Sounds like you’re going to have a lovely day, hope you all enjoy it.

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:35:47

Son and family arriving tomorrow on lunchtime ferry for 4 day visit. Normally stay with us but will be staying with our other son who has just moved into a house with loads of space. Other son has a big birthday in two weeks so tomorrow is hosting a gathering of about 50 for an early birthday party and to welcome visiting son/brother.

To help with his bbq I’ve just made two enormous lasagnes and two pavlovas. Three loads of washing done and dried.

I’ll now see to late dinner and we will enjoy it on a tray while watching Casualty.

Dh has been brushing up outside and washing the garden furniture ready for happy times in a couple of days.

Tomorrow will be fun. Bouncy castle in the front garden/field with football nets for the kids. All very safe. Adults and food out back.plus kids if/when they want a change.
All I have to do tomorrow is whip cream and cook the already prepared lasagna. Wrap them in towels to keep warm. They live only 10 minutes drive distant.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-19 20:34:05

Nothing to do but breathe in the fading aroma of warm summer sun and cut grass and wake to the thrill of Autumn's herald of fading leaves
That’s enough purple prose thank you Gabriella?

GabriellaG54 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:19:53

I'm in a wonderful rented cottage in a peaceful nook of Cornwall with OH. There are bikes to ride, blackberries ripe for picking, a glorious garden with a swing, local farm produce delivered to the door, a roll top bath and beautiful linens.

Nothing to do but breathe in the fading aroma of warm summer sun and cut grass and wake to the thrill of Autumn's herald of fading leaves, pom poms of chrysanths and earlier sunsets.
Lovin' every minute. ?

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:05:23

I live in Cornwall so it's a no go on the road and beaches.

Excellent day. Been busy in the garden. Now sitting with a glass of chilled white wine (8:05 pm) outside.

Cold pasta salad in fridge made with basil and lemons I've grown. Prawns via M+S. Always a bag in the freezer.

bikergran Sat 24-Aug-19 19:59:13

Working...have to work all Bank Holidays.

Grannyknot Sat 24-Aug-19 19:54:26

Purpledaffodil do not feel guilty, you more than deserve it smile And you're so organised! Impressive.

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for having practiced a spot of boundary-setting - we were on a family holiday all of last week that included our 5 year old chatterbox grandson who was on the go from early morning until later than usual being on holiday. A lovely time was had by all.

Having said our goodbyes, my son then suggested that they extend the holiday by staying a couple of nights at ours before heading to their house, to which I gently replied, sorry, but we were planning a very quiet weekend after this full-on week. And he understood!

So that's what we're doing - and started the weekend with a lie in this morning. Yippee!

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 18:57:51

Oh forgot to add that there’s a food festival on just down the road, so might meander along there tomorrow . This is the life smile

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 18:55:58

I’m on to my second (tiny shot) glass of Edinburgh Raspberry Gin liqueur. DH has gone to pick my sister and dad up . I should be starting the cooking but this Gin is just so yummy . I wonder if I could squeeze one more in before he gets back hmm

phoenix Sat 24-Aug-19 18:47:56

Stay strong, Maw!

MawB Sat 24-Aug-19 18:27:21

Grounded because the garage couldn’t get the part for my eye watering repair, so weekend with DD1, SIL and DGCs in Somerset down the pan. Other DDs and their husbands and little ones all in Norfolk for the week but Billy No Mates and Hattie are just chillin’ here.
Could be worse, I am glad not to be on the road in this heat and I have treated myself to the box sets of The Crown, Downton Abbey, some nice red wine and posh chocolate from Ocado to console myself.
I shall survive!

DanniRae Sat 24-Aug-19 18:24:00

Didn't do much today but tomorrow going to a bbq at our local Bowls Club. Monday my eldest daughter is coming to dinner - probably an Indian take-away! Refused to go anywhere in the car because of all the traffic shock

phoenix Sat 24-Aug-19 18:16:44

Purpledaffodil do NOT apologise! Enjoy what you are doing!

I have taken small bit of pleasure in drying the washing outside, am currently enjoying a glass of Cava (can't be doing with Prosecco, bit insipid imo) and having steak, new potatoes and salad shortly! smile

Plus, Mr P has promised that he will look at the excel spreadsheet that I have made comparing items/dimensions/costs for the proposed bathroom revamp!

(I know how to entertain a chap!)

humptydumpty Sat 24-Aug-19 17:35:41

Following on from original post, Nawamin was a cute as I remembered! we also met a couple who were on Dragon's Den a few weeks back who make pet food! Got a bag for our puss, so we'll see.

Lucky to be within walking distance smile

Barmeyoldbat Sat 24-Aug-19 17:29:17

After the traffic chaos yesterday in our town with traffic diverting off the motorway to avoid the traffic we have decided to stay home. Which ever way you went it was blocked.

Tomorrow a very early start as Mr B is running somewhere and I will take my bike and ride the route.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-19 17:26:28

That’s cheating Gilly grin
If it’s any consolation I’m totally kn***ered
and everything aches. The worst bit though is other cyclists overtaking us at high speedgrin

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 17:07:16

Bloomin’ heck 24 mile JaneA you must be very fit . shock

I really wish I could ride a bike . When I win the lottery I’m going to buy an electric bike then can switch over to go uphill . smile

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 17:04:20

Did a bit food shopping this morning as my sister has invited herself for supper (she obviously didn’t get a better offer) and my dad has decided he might as well come too.
I don’t mind doing the picking up but I hope they don’t expect to be taken home again.

This is the last B/H for us until C now paddyann.

The weather is pleasant ( better than it has been) but not marvellous , we are so close to the sea we get the wind straight off the North Sea .

Sara65 Sat 24-Aug-19 16:29:38

Purpledaffodil

It’s lovely to hear someone loving life so much, have a great weekend

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 16:15:08

Just realised how smug that sounded. Sorry Phoenixand anyone else feeling down today.flowers

paddyann Sat 24-Aug-19 16:14:03

not a bank holiday here ,next long weekend is end of September

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 16:12:56

29 degrees here. Can’t possibly be an August bank holiday? Cheeky glass of chilled rosé and pork fillet marinading for BBQ tonight. Plus ditto lamb leg for family lunch of Kleftiko tomorrow. Monday will be left overs and tranquillity. Love this weather.

phoenix Sat 24-Aug-19 16:02:48

Good for me to have a day off work, (it's been getting me down a bit lately sad) and also to have Mr P home for an extra day.

However, as he's self employed, that's a days pay lost.