Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you know how much is in your purse / wallet?

(53 Posts)
Daddima Wed 28-Aug-19 18:09:30

Having just found a wee surprise £10 in my purse, I wondered if there are people who can tell you exactly how much cash they have to hand ( I know there will be many!)

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Aug-19 23:02:36

My Big Issue seller doesn’t take cards yet either. Though I’ve just realised I haven’t seen him about for a while. Hope that’s for a good reason.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Aug-19 23:02:14

I usually keep between 15 and 20 pounds in my purse.

I like to pay with cash sometimes; cards seem so soulless.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Aug-19 22:58:53

I use cards for practically everything, contactless when possible. I used to have to carry change for the bus, but they all take cards now. I like to have some cash for tips and emergencies (no idea what they would be). I’ve just checked whether I actually know how much. I guessed £15 and I’ve got just over £18.50. It’ll last me ages.

callgirl1 Wed 28-Aug-19 22:57:00

I`m so thick I don`t even know what an app is! I hope I have guessed correctly as to what`s in my purse, I might need a bit at the GN meet up tomorrow.

annodomini Wed 28-Aug-19 22:53:51

At the moment £50 in notes and a certain amount of loose change. I took out some cash before going away for the weekend, intending to treat the GC, but we mostly stayed at home. I meant to leave them some spending money, but completely forgot and they weren't pleading poverty for a change.

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 22:22:04

We don’t have a parking app in our town petra it suits them (the LA) better that their parking gestapo can catch people who couldn’t find the correct change. angry

GabriellaG54 Wed 28-Aug-19 22:10:53

Yes indeed, it would if I ever used outside loos but I don't.
I have a strong bladder. Not even on long haul flights (which I don't do nowadays but last one to Dubai I waited until the stopover in the hotel.
I do have a big red plastic letter M money box from Metro bank which has actual cash in it but, because I have in the past put folded 'plastic notes inside they don't properly fold and I can't get them out unless I break the box. ??

ninathenana Wed 28-Aug-19 22:09:27

Usually know how much in notes but not change I have been known to find £10 tucked away in there that I'd forgotten. Plus 4 bank cards.
I have a small purse in the car for parking change.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Aug-19 22:01:01

That must be a problem when you need to spend a penny Gabriella!

GabriellaG54 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:58:18

No cash ever, just plastic. Can barely shut the purse. I weighed it just now. 14oz. ???

Nannyxthree Wed 28-Aug-19 21:51:33

I like to know exactly what I have in my purse and my bank account. I will not use contactless and do not use a phone app for car parking as has already been pointed out - there are just too many of them! Street markets and window cleaners prefer cash too.

grannysyb Wed 28-Aug-19 21:36:22

£50 as I'm going to Walthamstow market tomorrow to buy fabric.

MamaCaz Wed 28-Aug-19 21:27:59

I know what i have in notes and pound coins, but not in the smaller coins. Not much though, as my purse is very light at the moment.

Callistemon Wed 28-Aug-19 21:20:34

I did find £10 tucked into the side of a handbag which I hadn't used for some time.

Callistemon Wed 28-Aug-19 21:19:16

does no-one use a parking app?
Don't you have to have one of those clever phones to do that?

Sorry, smart phones

BradfordLass72 Wed 28-Aug-19 20:57:02

I'm old fashioned enough to want (and need) cash, so I have just been to the ATM for $40.

That will cover my fee for lunch at Communicare; payment to the Paleo bakery which bakes the bread I need and which only takes cash - and $3 for a 'toastie' - if I go to my elders' group today.

It will also be handy to give some to my Homecare lady to go buy a few vegetables and the weekend's milk at the local dairy.
Although I know and trust her, I would not want to pass over my ATM card and PIN to anyone other than my son. I also give her $5 cash towards her petrol costs.

Just looking at that lot it seems I won't have enough in my purse grin

My Mum used to say, 'money talks - but all mine says is 'goodbye' - how right she was.

M0nica Wed 28-Aug-19 20:53:31

All my money is kept safely in my purse. Sadly, I never have those surprise moments when I find money in a pocket or bag.

I am not too bothered about what is in my purse. The only figure that interests me is the end of month figure on my bank statement and after 60 years of having my own money and living within my income I know instinctively each month if I am pushing against my income limit.

Willow500 Wed 28-Aug-19 20:51:32

£20 and a few coins - did have more but had to pay someone earlier. No sooner do I draw some out of the cash machine than it's gone ?

SueDonim Wed 28-Aug-19 20:49:08

I do Petra. It can be hit and miss, though, as in some places round here you can't get any signal to make it work. confused

In a few places, it also almost doubles the cost for a short stay e.g. a 50p cash parking ticket becomes a 90p app parking ticket.

It's annoying how there are are so many different apps, though. This area is all Ringo but when I've been staying with my son in London it seems there are almost as many parking apps as car parks. grin

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 20:44:08

I think I have about £35 in notes and a few pound coins and a bit of silver ( I put brown coinage in a jar.)

merlotgran Wed 28-Aug-19 20:36:57

I rarely have more than ten pounds in cash in my purse as I use my debit card most of the time.

I did find £1.35 when I cleaned out the filter at the bottom of the washing machine yesterday though. grin

petra Wed 28-Aug-19 20:36:53

Does no one use a parking app ?

TerriBull Wed 28-Aug-19 20:34:47

I tend to pay contactless these days, I generally don't carry a lot of money, but I do like to have some pound coins they are quite necessary for car parks, particularly my local small M&S high street food store. £2 to park there shock but you get it knocked off your shopping if you spend over a £5. Today I also have a couple of £5 notes which is unusual for me.

Urmstongran Wed 28-Aug-19 20:33:08

Not enough!

downtoearth Wed 28-Aug-19 20:19:52

Thanks Anne,yes, I get all that I am entitled to get,I managesmile